Want in on the Taiwanese Lineage II Open Beta? Here's how...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I got sick of waiting for my NA Beta invite to arrive so I tried this earlier in the evening and I've been having a blast, even without being able to understand 99% of what's on my screen.

1. First you need to download a program called Taiwan ID Maker HERE.

2. Now go HERE and click the image link directly above the LOGIN window on the left side. This will bring you to a license agreement screen.

3. Check the bubble at the bottom and click the button below.

4. Now you need to fill in your registration information. Since the text is all in Chinese, there's an English guide HERE.

4a. Open the Taiwan ID Maker, bring up the pull-down menu in the upper left and choose a letter (I've heard you should choose "T", but I don't think it makes a difference). Now click the upper left button in the lower right section (should've become highlighted after choosing your letter). This will generate an ID number. Copy this to your clipboard and paste it into the indicated tab in the registration menu (refer to guide above).

NOTE: If you get THIS ERROR when you submit, it means your username is already in use and you must choose another. If you get THIS ERROR it means your ID is already in use and you must generate another.

5. Download the Beta Client HERE (NOTE: The server seems to be down at the moment, but keep trying). It's 950MB, so be prepared for a wait (it took me nearly 2 hours at 146KB/s average).

6. After installing the client, it will autopatch to the latest version (about 15 minutes) and give you the option to START, CANCEL or do a FULL CHECK. Select CANCEL.

7. Now download this English "patch" HERE. Unzip the contents into the client's 'system' folder, replacing all duplicate files.

8. Re-enter the game and, once at the Login menu, choose OPTIONS (bottom button on the lower right). In the GAME tab there will be a pull-down menu to switch your language from Chinese to English. Set it to English and click APPLY (bottom right button). This only translates the menu text and *supposedly* Quest dialog (I haven't been able to confirm this), but it helps. You can also set up your VIDEO and AUDIO options here.

Have fun!

Here are a few screenshots from my first hour of play...

-Keiichi

Removed the link to the Taiwan ID maker, due to it essentailly being a CD Key generator, except for the Taiwanese equivelant of the Social Security Number. - Keganator

Attachments

• Login.jpg
    Login.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Characters.jpg
    Characters.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 231
  • Pellegri.jpg
    Pellegri.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Malek.jpg
    Malek.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Looks impressive. Hows the gameplay? Content? I never got into these kind of games, thank god I lost my mud addiction I had a long time ago...(something is wrong if you play one game for more than a year in game time...)

//Kee

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Gameplay, from what I've experienced so far, is pretty standard MMO fare. You run around, you wail on monsters, you go back to town and buy items so you can run around and wail on more monsters, etc, etc.

I can't really speak for content since I've yet to figure out where to get quests and all the NPCs/other players are speaking Chinese...

I've mostly just been playing around with character creation, which is unfortunately kind of limited. You've got a choice of 5 races: Human, Elf, Dark Elf, Dwarf and Orc. Each race has 2 genders to choose from, with two classes to pick at startup (only Fighter and Mage, although you can BECOME additional classes later in the game), about 5 different hair styles with 2 different colors each, and 2 different faces to choose from.

The fact that so many people look exactly the same would probably sit worse with me if I wasn't fresh out of Final Fantasy XI, which had the same problem. As it is, it's just a minor annoyance.

Hopefully there'll be more choices once it hits NA retail.

-Keiichi

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
One thing I've really got to say about Lineage II is that it's got an awesome soundrack. A W E S O M E. I'm talking motion picture quality. It almost reminds me of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

I liked alot of the tunes enough that I copied them out of the game directory and onto my music storage drive.

Oh, and the Dark Elf female's breasts bounce like Mai Shiranui's in KoF. Hooray for fan service! :D

-Keiichi

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
From the previews and videos I've seen, the main point of the game seems to be PvP, or better, huge armis of players against other players (or maybe they have nice NPCs)

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
A few more screenshots I took tonight...

L2TOB_01.jpg

My main character, a Dark Elf, posing in front of the statue at the center of her starting city, which is built on a platform in the middle of a giant underground cavern.

L2TOB_02.jpg

After over an hour running through forests and stinking swamps, I finally spot something that looks interesting in the distance. That's cause enough for celebration.

L2TOB_03.jpg

Turns out it's the ruins of what was once a town, now overrun with bugbears and zombies.

L2TOB_04.jpg

I mourn the dead and decide that this is as good a place as any to end my journey.

L2TOB_05.jpg

My Elf character posing in the promenade of the elven starting city. Looks a bit like Rivendel, no?

L2TOB_06.jpg

My Dwarf girl, at the entrance of the dwarven starting city. There's just something inherently cute about a 12 year old beating the snot out of small animals... :D

-Keiichi

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
I assume that your dark Elf with almost no amount of clothing has the same armor rating than, say, a human with plate mail (slightly exaggerated) ? :D

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
well i want in, and i want in bad :'( but if like me your pc quivers looking at those screenies let alone renderingt hem come play some http://www.muonline.com/ :D
(yes it seems to think you need korean text support, no you dont its all in english)

completely free mmorpg'ing at the moment (open beta ?) its like a 60 meg download, runs on low spec machines, looks pretty as hell, will work online with dial up, and has ****ELOADS of players, the large majority of whom are english speaking :)

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
If it's not one of the error messages I indicated in the tutorial, I've also noticed that usernames can't have anything but letters or numbers in them (no underscores or dashes) and passwords must be between 8-16 characters in length.

If either condition isn't met, it will bring up a similar error message.

EDIT: I should also point out that the registration confirmation screen it brings you to after you successfully register could perhaps be mistaken for an error screen. It'll have several lines of Chinese text with an exclamation point image on the left. If you see that screen, you're registered.

The error messages are all in the form of pop-up windows.

-Keiichi

Last edited:

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
It's come to my attention that the Japanese Lineage II Open Beta will go active at 9:00PM PST on February 10th (that's this Tuesday). Registration and download servers are available now.

I'm working on registering now, and I'll post a tutorial when I'm done. I'll probably have it up within an hour.

-Keiichi

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
I'm with Geno on this one, there's just something inherently disturbing about a 20+ year old guy getting his kicks from watching 12-year-olds beat up little furry critters.

:p :D

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Okay, here's the step-by-step for registering and downloading the Japanese client...

1. Go HERE and click the red box in the upper right corner. (GUIDE) This will take you to the license agreement.

2. Check the left bubble and click the now-highlighted button at the bottom.

3. Enter your *VALID* email address in the box and click the button to the right. An email containing a 10-digit confirmation code will be sent to you (example: L3G5NULV9V).

4. Input the confirmation code you received into the entry box and click the button at the bottom.

5. You'll now be at the registration screen. This is a little complex, so here are two guides. (1, 2)

5a. On entering your zipcode, disregard the number shown in the first guide and enter the number shown in the second guide instead (120 - 0015). Once you've input the number, click the button to the right of the field and it will automatically fill in the field below.

5b. When you reach the "How did you hear about Lineage II?" pull-down menu, select any option *EXCEPT* the first in the list. That selection is invalid (eg: "please choose") and will result in an error when you try to submit. Neither guide makes this fact clear.

5c. After entering your Username/ID (only letters/numbers are accepted), click the button to the right. This will open a verification box that informs you whether your username is in use/invalid. You can copy/paste the text into Babel Fish to translate it. Generally, if it translates into something like "name is active", then you're good to go.

5d. When you're done, click the indicated button at the bottom. This will bring you to a new screen that lets you review your information. Again, click the left button at the bottom to proceed.

6. Congratulations! You're registered. (GUIDE) Click the button at the bottom to go back to the main page.

7. Download the Japanese client HERE. (1.2GB)

Remember, the Japanese beta doesn't go live until February 10th at 9:00PM PST.

-Keiichi