PDA

View Full Version : I hate you too Best Buy!! :mad:

Sir_Brizz
3rd Feb 2004, 10:13 PM
So they took down the UT2004 sign and replaced it with a stupid Battlefield 1942: Vietnam poster :mad: I hate you guys too!!! :(

:lol: :D :p

Hedge
3rd Feb 2004, 10:30 PM
Can you get that poster for me? ;)

Thrawn70
4th Feb 2004, 12:26 AM
Hmm, UT2003 is dead to the gaming world, while BF1942 is IT as the alternative to CounterStrike. Sounds like a legit marketing move to me. But I'd also appreciate the poster ;)

Thrawn70
4th Feb 2004, 12:27 AM
BTW, I'm thinking about working there over the summer; how are the employee discounts? :)

thewalkingman
4th Feb 2004, 01:14 AM
Does Best Buy know something we dont?

Renegade Retard
4th Feb 2004, 08:48 AM
All the employees at BB ar morons!

Where did you say you worked again, Brizz?

:D

Hmm, UT2003 is dead to the gaming world....

*sigh* Sad but true. I was reading a gaming magazine last night (was it Game Insider? I can't even remember the names of my own subscriptions. I'm getting old!). They were talking about all the great games that are coming out in the next few months, and listed Halo 2, Half-Life 2, etc, etc. Listed about 10 games in all, and not one of them was UT2k4. To me it showed just how little esteem the UT series now holds.

Hanover_Fist
4th Feb 2004, 10:33 AM
All the employees at BB ar morons!

Roger that.

Whenever I ask about games at BB, the skinny semi-messy-spikey-gell haired punk that works there always gives me the "at-ti-tude" when I've got a question about a space shooter.

But they're better than the guy that works at Game Spot, he acts like everyone is a cockroach. If you ask him something, you get a barely audible hiss as he looks up from his magazine...

teens....as if a smile would kill them....:shake:

SlayerDragon
4th Feb 2004, 11:53 AM
lol @ Han

Man I want to work at a game store. I was at one right before Christmas and some woman was looking for a gift for her son. She said he liked two different games and she was looking for a similar one to both of those. The girl who was working recommended some game they had 110000000 copies of - NFSU. I was like, "Um, this game" (I can't remember which one it was now) " is so much more what you are looking for." The salesperson was like "Oh, yes, right that would be much better." :rolleyes: Bah!

SkaarjMaster
4th Feb 2004, 01:22 PM
You mean that really cool huge UT2004 sign hung up high for everyone in the store to see?! At all the BestBuy stores? Why not just hang another one? Bastards....:(

[MUTTS] Hiteche5
4th Feb 2004, 05:25 PM
Be happy you got a Best Buy. There is none in Hawaii. In fact the only gaming stores we have is Gamespot. And those guys don't know crap. The only thing they advertise here is FFXI. Can some one at least take a pic and post it here of that poster. I never saw a Unreal poster.

Sir_Brizz
4th Feb 2004, 08:15 PM
lol I work at Best Buy. We get a good deal on accessories! I can get a $26 USB cable for $1.25 and a $60 USB hub for $25.

as for how they treat their employees...well I can only speak for my store, and some of the managers are idiots. I'll put it that way.

I'm actively trying to find a different job.

becoming i
4th Feb 2004, 09:51 PM
My Best Buy issue:

Whenever I go into the store an associate approaches me and asks "Are you finding everything you are looking for today?". I have no problem with that at all, but it is the follow up statement that I have an issue with. Usually goes a little something like this....."We don't work on commission, so feel free to ask me anything." What the H-E-double hockey sticks is that all about? I don't understand what their pay has to do with my finding Nirvana: Unplugged in New York on DVD. Just a little too much information ;) .

*shrugs*

Sir_Brizz
4th Feb 2004, 10:02 PM
My Best Buy issue:

Whenever I go into the store an associate approaches me and asks "Are you finding everything you are looking for today?". I have no problem with that at all, but it is the follow up statement that I have an issue with. Usually goes a little something like this....."We don't work on commission, so feel free to ask me anything." What the H-E-double hockey sticks is that all about? I don't understand what their pay has to do with my finding Nirvana: Unplugged in New York on DVD. Just a little too much information ;) .

*shrugs*

because most people don't want to talk to us because they think we will try to push expensive high margin items to get commission. we normally won't.

however, some of the stores, apparently, force stuff on their customers. like selling a computer and telling them that whther they like it or not they are getting 6 months of MSN free (all we need is your credit card, right? :rolleyes: ) Because of this, I'm | | this cloe to quitting. Our new sales manager is TELLING US to say this to our customers and my whole department is pissed.

Renegade Retard
4th Feb 2004, 10:10 PM
Well, before you quit, I need to send you my shopping list! ;)

becoming i
4th Feb 2004, 10:21 PM
because most people don't want to talk to us because they think we will try to push expensive high margin items to get commission. we normally won't.

I completely understand what you are saying.

However, there are ways to convey the same point without thowing tack out the window. They all sound like robots, no matter who I talk to in the store they say the same thing. A salesman needs to know how to size a customer up and shmooze them accordingly. I couldn't handle acting like I have a pre-rehersed selling pitch in my pocket.

That said, I don't blame you for wanting to quit. As soon as management starts controlling employees like they are trying with you, it is time to move on. Good luck finding a new job! :)

Sekhmet
5th Feb 2004, 05:48 AM
So they took down the UT2004 sign and replaced it with a stupid Battlefield 1942: Vietnam poster :mad: I hate you guys too!!! :(

:lol: :D :p

Isn't that Battlefield : Vietnam?

Thrawn70
5th Feb 2004, 10:18 AM
See, I wasn't hoping to get into sales, but more like their hardware / upgrade service. Dead computers don't talk back. :D

TWD
5th Feb 2004, 10:34 AM
There's a new gaming store where I live now, gamestop or somethin like that. Goodbye crappy target/fred myer prices and selection. I no longer have to drive all the way to layton for my gaming needs!1

Sir_Brizz
5th Feb 2004, 04:30 PM
See, I wasn't hoping to get into sales, but more like their hardware / upgrade service. Dead computers don't talk back. :D

The customers that own them do. I think the tech service is worse than the sales team.

As far as sounding like robots, you must have been in a store that is doing poorly because they are training their employees that way. I rarely tell people I'm on commission, because just chatting about the right printer to buy most people aren't uncomfortable. Before closing the sale I always make sure I've mentioned it, but I never like flat out say "Hello I'm not on commission so ask me what you'd like" that just sounds dumb.

And Sek...SHHHH :p

Right now I have a second job doing phone support for tax software. It's a better job, and I make more money, I just don't know if I'll still be on after tax season is over. If so, good bye best buy. Or if this guy gets out of control I won't care.

SugarBear
6th Feb 2004, 07:35 AM
please tell me that Sek is correct, the title of the game is Battlefield Vietnam right?

SlayerDragon
6th Feb 2004, 11:02 AM

Ah, but the idiots that own them do. Not sure if you'd have to deal with them or not.

Sir_Brizz
6th Feb 2004, 05:37 PM
please tell me that Sek is correct, the title of the game is Battlefield Vietnam right?

hahaha yes he is right lol

mrcamper99
8th Feb 2004, 02:55 PM
I hear they are replacing the UT2004 posters with UT2005.

hahahahhahahaahahahahahaha....

hyrulian
8th Feb 2004, 05:25 PM
Actually, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~npena/ut2k6.jpg

Thrawn70
8th Feb 2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah baby, yeah!

SugarBear
8th Feb 2004, 07:50 PM
my beef with Best Buy is this, everytime I go into the store, no less than six different people ask me if I need help, then they linger around right next to you watching you like a hawk

Sir_Brizz
8th Feb 2004, 08:48 PM
lol i wouldn't go there if they did that either...of course they might think you are trying to steal something...lol :)

Saito
8th Feb 2004, 09:24 PM
The bestbuy next to me is pretty good. (washington DC right by american university) and the people don't harp on you at all. They all just sit by there set section and talk amongst each other, if you ask them about something they are really helpfull, and if you look lost they will ask if you need help but they wont stalk you.

Lucky for me I don't need thier help and handle my own stuff, I know what I want when I go in and don't need to look over everything.

And lets be honest, if you need the sales person to describe to you what video card upgrade does, you are already sol.

becoming i
8th Feb 2004, 09:45 PM
(washington DC right by american university)

Off topic: My sister goes to American University!! :eek:

On topic: Despite my gripes, Best Buy is a great store. I love it! :)

ScottishMartialArts
8th Feb 2004, 11:04 PM
my beef with Best Buy is this, everytime I go into the store, no less than six different people ask me if I need help, then they linger around right next to you watching you like a hawk

Sounds like my local Fry's. Everytime I go to browse through the games section this gender-indeterminate beast sneaks up behind me and asks, in a hideous shreik, if I need help. Scares the **** out of me everytime. Worst part of it is that it ask's me if I need help at least three times (startling the hell out of me each time) before I finish browsing and retreat to the checkout line as quickly as possible.

Sir_Brizz
8th Feb 2004, 11:56 PM
ScottishMartialArts, Welcome!

ask Thrawn for some Buffles :)

hyrulian
8th Feb 2004, 11:59 PM
Sounds like my local Fry's. Everytime I go to browse through the games section this gender-indeterminate beast sneaks up behind me and asks, in a hideous shreik, if I need help. Scares the **** out of me everytime. Worst part of it is that it ask's me if I need help at least three times (startling the hell out of me each time) before I finish browsing and retreat to the checkout line as quickly as possible.
Yeah, sounds exactly like the Fry's where I live (San Diego). That's why I avoid going to Fry's whenever I can.

Oh, and by the way...

Hello ScottishMartialArts, and welcome to the BeyondUnreal™ Forums, the biggest and best Unreal® community on the internet!

Quoting _Zd_Phoenix_ in another thread,
[BeyondUnreal] is home to at least 5 sane members. You will also find hordes of lunatics, heretics and diuretics in those places who will attempt to stop you leaving by any means possible.

_Zd_Phoenix_ pretty much summed up what it is like around here. I happen to be one of the five sane members around here. As for the "lunatics, heretics, and diuretics," you'll just have to stick around to find out who they are; you'll know them when you see them.

Off Topic is a chaotic place to discuss (almost) anything on your mind, including sexuality, politics, sports, and just about anything else.

If you happen to play any of the Unreal® series of games, make sure to visit those forums when you feel the need to escape the insanity. If you play Unreal® Tournament 2003, almost every weekend there is an event called FragBU; you can read up on those events in the UT2003 forum.

To improve your chances of your head exploding, try visiting the BeyondUnreal™ IRC channel. Connect to the server irc.enterthegame.com and /join #beyondunreal.

Just remember, don't be afraid (at least most of the time). Have fun and post/chat away!

BeyondUnreal™ is probably a trademark of BeyondUnreal™, Inc. Unreal® is a registered trademark of Epic Games. Some images found on this forum may be enhanced with Adobe® Photoshop® software. Adobe® and Photoshop® are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.

ScottishMartialArts
9th Feb 2004, 12:54 AM
Wow, thanks for the welcome. I'm coming from the Ion Storm boards, sick and tired of being called a dumb-ass fanboy because I *gasp* actually liked Invisible War and wanted to discuss it. Now that I'm totally addicted to XMP I figured it'd be best to find some forums that are actually fun to hang out in, BU seemed to fit the bill.

The FragBU sounds pretty fun but I have to admit that I um... *cough*sold my copy of UT2003*cough*. I'm planning to pick up 2004 though, in fact I picked up a DVD drive today (at long last) so I could run the collector's edition of UT2004. Along the way I had yet another encounter with the Gaming Software Section Beast.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

mrcamper99
10th Feb 2004, 11:31 AM
Actually, I'm thinking more along the lines of...
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~npena/ut2k6.jpg

Well here's the poster I saw at BB's the other day....
http://12.96.167.164/photoprint/images/ut061.jpg

thewalkingman
10th Feb 2004, 12:16 PM
Best Buy rocks man!!! I am getting Battlefield Vietnam for only 10 bucks!!!!!!! (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1074788421817&skuId=6270947&type=product)

SlayerDragon
10th Feb 2004, 12:58 PM
Best Buy rocks man!!! I am getting Battlefield Vietnam for only 10 bucks!!!!!!! (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1074788421817&skuId=6270947&type=product)

No you're not, you're pre-ordering. The 10 bucks is a deposit. If you go into the store, they do the same thing with Doom 3 and with Counter Strike Condition Zero (at least they did with that one).

thewalkingman
10th Feb 2004, 02:50 PM
ya think?

BoboThePenguin
10th Feb 2004, 05:26 PM
Nah, the state of the economy has caused the price of games to plunge, don't you watch CNN?

spineblaZe
10th Feb 2004, 05:36 PM
Well here's the poster I saw at BB's the other day....
http://12.96.167.164/photoprint/images/ut061.jpg
:lol:

ya think?

http://gra.midco.net/thenut/emoticons/rofl.gif Am I the only one that gets twm? :D

Renegade Retard
10th Feb 2004, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=spineblaZeAm I the only one that gets twm? :D[/QUOTE]

Who's twm?

;)

Sir_Brizz
10th Feb 2004, 07:35 PM
twm=the window manager

Thrawn70
10th Feb 2004, 11:29 PM
Hola!

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=1345781&postcount=6

hyrulian
11th Feb 2004, 12:28 AM
Hola!

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=1345781&postcount=6

I seriously should start doing that too.
Especially cuz my Welcome post is so damn long. :p

SlayerDragon
11th Feb 2004, 02:41 AM
Nah, the state of the economy has caused the price of games to plunge, don't you watch CNN?

You mean to plunge right into my pocket and take out all the money, right? :lol:

Orochi
11th Feb 2004, 02:36 PM
Off topic: My sister goes to American University!! :eek:

is she hot?

pics and dorm room number please