multiplayer borken?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rogue_jedi

Jan 28, 2004
you *don't* need to know that
my brother and i downloaded the unwheel beta 1 and installed it on our computers. it is fun just driving around, but the multiplayer appears to be broken (or borken, either one) it doesn't matter which one of us hosts the server (he has a p4, i have an athlon) we both have ATI video cards. the server machine works fine, whichever one it is. the client machine has the vehicle selection menu, then spawns the player as in a regular deathmatch. the vehicle is also invisible to the client, unless we play ctf and the car picks up the flag. it does allow some interesting videos (guy moving very quickly and floating in midair) but it is also quite annoying.

that said, it's a great mod (still have the alpha installer lying around somewhere) with great potential, but it seems to have some bugs left in it. (not trying to piss off the author/mappers/modelers, just saying is all)

does anyone have any suggestions for getting this to work?

o yeah, he is running win2k and i have winxp, we both have all the latest drivers (afaik) for everything in our systems.

btw, does anyone else have the ctf-tabletop map crash their game? (or is it just a bad install) seems like we hit all the bugs, doesn't it?

thanks for any/all help and a great mod.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Firstly, yes, I know, there are a lot of multiplayer problems in UnWheel... I'm working on them constantly...

OK, I think your main problem is that you need to add "UnWheel" and "UnWheelVehicles" to the server's UT2003.ini ServerPackages.

1) Open the server's UT2003.ini and find the [Engine.GameEngine] section header.

2) Scroll through that section until you find a bunch of entries looking like "ServerPackages=Something".

3) To the end of that ServerPackages list, add the following:
Code:
ServerPackages=UnWheel
ServerPackages=UnWheelVehicles

4) Save and close the file, start a game, and hope for the best ;)

I admit it was silly of me to leave this out of the ReadMe... Sorry about that.

Then about the TableTop crash - you mentioned both of you have ATI cards - there is an issue with that map and the ATI cards which has been identified and has been fixed for the next release.

Hope you get the multiplayer going ;)

rogue_jedi

Jan 28, 2004
alright, i'll try that soon. (getting my daily dose of web stuffs right now) and i'll post whether that fixed it.

with the TableTop crash - we can wait for the next release with no problems if this works:D

thanks for the help:).

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Hello rogue_jedi
I had a problem with tabletop when it was first released, I was running a ati 8500, I discussed it with the author of the map and he created a version that should work, it worked with my 8500, the only thing he changed were textures and it is outdoors instead of in side, you didnt give your errors but mine were always dx errors, here is the link to the other map if you want to try it before shrimp releases the next version of unwheel.:)
ps: I am running an ati 9500 now and have no problems with these maps now.
http://home.mchsi.com/~huskerpam/wsb/UW-CTF-TableTopOutdoors.zip

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
yes all maps work fine with my 9500, the map error and direct x 9 were the reasons I upgraded, but dont get me wrong the 8500 may be close to end of life its still a great card in my opinon, I am still using it in my secondary computer and it runs everything else "Unwheel" fine.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
the ati 9000 series is actually based off the 8500 chipset. So this problem is exactly the same as mine, I picked up my 9500 for a mere $130, and I can do a software mod that makes it a 9700 non pro, if this interests you you have to be carful there are versions of the 9500 that dont take this mod, the only problem with the mod is a small amount of artifacts in the lighting affects, but with overclocking I got a 5008 mark in 3dmark 2003

rogue_jedi

Jan 28, 2004
yeah i know the 9000 is 8500 based, and also about the 9500 mod. better cooling may help with the artifacting you're getting. the only reason i don't have a better card is i need all the money i have (just about none) for other stuff. though a video card is on my list somewhere.