Natural Selection 3.0 Beta Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Yup, it's out. If you've never played Natural selection before, you don't know what you're missing. :D

Multiplayer-only Half-life mod where one team plays marines and the other plays aliens. The humans must keep their cool and work together to assault an alien-infested spacecraft or colony. Marines vs. marines and aliens vs. aliens scenarios will also be supported in the near future.

"First-person strategy" with a real resource model and consequences for actions. Both sides are genuinely different and together they accommodate different play styles:

Marines :: Fighting skill is less important, strategy and communication take its place. Playing as a marine will be a tense experience with methodical planning and strategy, interrupted with action.

Aliens :: Playing as an alien will be an intense action experience, rewarding reflexes and alien heroics. Communication and coordination don't require typing.

And now 3.0 is out, apparently, with a new game mode. And yes, like all the other top rated games released on the Half Life engine as of late, you need steam. (/me refrains from adding steamy rants.)

(but not from leaving puns.)

here's the download page. Go get steam, and go try it out. Apparently, there's even a new game mode, with 'experience' and 'upgrades' that you keep. I don't know how much I like that idea, but we'll see when I try it later.

http://www.natural-selection.org/downloads.html

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Thanks for the heads up Keg. NS is one of those other mods I play. Great stuff and great teamplay.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
/me bashes his head against the table repeatedly

Ugh. Thanks to my craptacular internet that I get here in pullman, and because the network guys at the appartments block practically every ****ing port in existance, I cannot even boot up steam. I just downloaded a gig of crap for nothing. I might as well ****ing unplug my computer from the wall, since it's going to do just as good. Sorry everyone, I really wanted to do a review of NS 3.0, but it looks like I'm *never* going to get to play NS 3.0. :(

Mifffo

Jan 22, 2004
steam sucks, theres not alot of people that are going to download that 3,0 version soon and i think many servers will still be online with version 2.01. i talked to people there and noone of them would get 3,0 becouse of steam, all they want is more money with that damned steam its all becouse of that ****ty CS if not cs was, there would be no steam

Vers Vlees

Oohhh a custom title
Nov 30, 2002
The Netherlands
www.versvlees.owns.it
Well I played NS3 for some time now.
The normal ns maps are fun to play but the combat maps well. Its very hard for the Aliens to win. Marines get points very quickly. And 9 out of 10 times it turns into a spam fest. And only the marines can spam :rolleyes:
I still havent seen the Aliens win a combatmap

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I have. It came from a very early victory. Combat powers come from your amount of kills you get. Traditionally, humans have 3-4 times as many kills against aliens as aliens have against humans. So, quite naturally, the more kills give the more points, and then the more points give the better upgrades. It's the CS phenomena all over again. I'm sure people who like purchasing systems will eat it up. In actuality, it completely destroys the good aspects of how NS used to work. Bleh.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I'll tell you, its a bit of a mixed bag. I had previously been working off of WON (via All Seeing Eye), so this was also my first exposure to Steam.

I'm not finding much as far as pro goes for this version. The concept of the Combat mode is quite nice and the maps they've made for it look quite good as well. However, the mode is pretty well broken because they didn't modify any of the NS values.

To understand why this is bad, ask yourself how 2.0 matches often ended. It was usually an HA train, right? Well, to defeat that, the whole team would band together and beat them barely. Well, in Combat, you have an HA train every 30 seconds a few minutes into the game. They never have to repurchase it, so every HA you kill comes back in the standard respawn interval. You don't have any chambers or Gorges, so your hive only heals itself slowly. The marines can heal their buildings with welders quite easily. Most matches work out to the marines camping their chair and shooting aliens as they approach. Aliens don't get projectile weapons until Fades and Third hive weapons or Lerks with gas, so it's often a turkey shoot.

For Classic NS, it isn't all that different. Obvious changes are the new vulnerability of the Onos and Fade to damage because of their fixed hitboxes. Despite a generous increase in health, they all seem to die quite fast now. The Lerk has lost spikes in favor of bite...which I still don't understand the logic of. It is now a Skulk with a bit more Z axis control, and is woefully unable to contend with Shotguns or HMGs. Other than that it feels almost exactly like 2.0. The elec TF and node reach a bit further, the hand grenade is fun for a lark, but otherwise I didn't find much to adjust to.

From a steam standpoint, I suppose it's mixed. I had been using ASE, so I never had to contend with the very inefficient internal browser. From that standpoint Steam is an improvement because I don't have to use a third party browser anymore. However, the time it takes to saying, 'I'd like to play some NS' to actually playing NS has increased by some substantial time. You have to load Steam, then boot NS, then it does some precaching, then you play. That can get a bit aggravating considering its the same old five year old Half Life. I've had some lag from time to time, but not telling if its the server or what. Overall, Steam doesn't really improve my play enjoyment only increases the time to get into the game. If I didn't use ASE, I'm sure my tune would change.

I'm also a bit disappointed in their testing of NS 3.0. The revived Nancy map is totally broken, the menu options are often grayed out and don't display the costs for evolving. I also had some challenges actually selecting things too.

I wish they had taken a more extensive playtesting period before releasing. It feels quite imbalanced and the Nancy problem is just inexcuseable considering it was a map everyone liked so much in the past.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I wish they had taken a more extensive playtesting period before releasing. It feels quite imbalanced and the Nancy problem is just inexcuseable considering it was a map everyone liked so much in the past.
It's a public beta now. It's not done, to their standards, but I agree: they really shouldn't have done this. They should have waited until it was a product...and not make it a public beta. Nontheless, it's been released, and this is how people will respond to it. Public betas never are (real betas, that is). ;)

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Beta 2 is out, with some more fixes to help the aliens out. Gorges are also back into Combat, which has balanced that a great deal.

Will be interesting to see if it swings the pendulum too far.