BAH! microsoft!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
hmm well my dvd drive was broken(wont bother explaining) so i took it out for replacement, and when i boot up my computer it tells me something like "a significant hardware change has accured, u must re activate windows" so im just "ok whatever" so it takes me to the activation screen only to tell me that i have activated windows too many times and i have to get a new activation code! wtf? nice. so I go to the microsoft website but i cant email or talk to anyone since my windows XP came with my computer and i didnt buy it off store shelfs *woot!* so if i am to contact them about there bull **** i have to make a toll call just to attempt to receive a new activation code!!! :mad: oh and did i mention windows will only boot in safe mode if all this doesnt get solved in 1 more day!!? wow!! windows is my favorite! :mad: :mad:

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
What pikeman said. Personally I would try to get hold of the corporate edition which doesn't require any of that activation crap, suprnova would probably have it.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
yea i will look into a crack , it seems like windows would have protection but hopefully i can find something, and whats this "corporate edition" ?

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
I'm assuming you don't live in America?
yea im in the usa, i have heard of the corporate edition but dont really know whats different from it and windows xp home. and wow! it just so happens that a friend of mine found a program that resets your activation status! so it seems im in the clear now :) yea, i have had to activate it before when i got my new AMD, and now when i took out my dvd so , hopefully it wont ask again.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
If you're in the USA, there's a toll-free number you can call. I've had to call it several times for reactivation after making upgrades.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
I could not find a toll free number to use , i have the OEM virsion that comes with new pc's, and they said they had no support for OEM products.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
i am severly pissed with microsoft. bloody $200 (or was it 300) upgrade and you can only install it on ONE computer. Then it is $186 for another cd key! What a bunch of bull****! If i bomb microsoft would any of you hold it against me?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
geogob said:
This reminds of a copy-protection discussion we had not long ago...
:D

Dunno 'bout you guys but I don't want nag screens in software I payed for. :D

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
spm1138 said:
They should have wrote it so that changing ONE bit of hardware at a time didn't use up tries.
It doesn't work like that. It only ask you to activate windows again when you change a "vital" part of your computer. Which means the netword adapter, the motherboard or the hard drive. I've changed my gfx adapter, DVD driver/burner, RAM, zip drive and so on countless time without activating windows. But on the other hand, I only installed it on 1 computer.

The problem probably comes that he has installed it on his computer and then on another computer. When he changed the DVD driver, the windows activation system compared the computer hardware to the other one, which probably has a whole different hardware. That's why it asks for activation.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I've still got Win2k Pro ... no need to worry about stupid nag-screens. :)

Oh and don't worry guys ... I'm sure MS will find an even more better method with which to annoy the few legitimate users they've got left.
Too bad that XP once again proved that the majority of the users out there doesn't have an active brain.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Wow... you're so smart because you don't like Windows. I wish everyone was as smart as you.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Ha !
I never said I hate Windows by default ... I just hate that there's no decent alternative (both Linux & Macintosh are even worse ...) so they can force users to jump through hoops in the name of 'copy-protection' and the almighty dollar.

Of course users blindly following the latest version without questioning the use of certain features deserve everything they get until they learn that pc's aren't made for non-geeks and neither will they ever be unless they magically turn into iMacs.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I'm glad I grabbed 3 complimentary copies of Windows XP professional while I was in ACM. I change out components all the time, and have never had to reactivate crap. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I guess they just prefer you buy a new PC, rather then upgrade.