PDA

View Full Version : Port throttling woes

Slartoff
23rd Jan 2004, 10:27 AM
I just got back to school a week ago. For most of last semester and all of this semester so far, I've usually pinged > 1500 to EVERY Unreal server, while at the same time pinging in the 30s to Quake3 servers. When the ping for Unreal isn't horrible, I tend to get tons of packet loss. Finally I got fed up with it enough to go harass someone down in telecom. Basically what I was told "Well, those ports are throttled. Yada yada yada... Highest priority is given to web browsing." I'm not going to get any help from them. My question is this: Is there any way to change what port my incoming Unreal data comes in on?

WebSlinger
23rd Jan 2004, 10:42 AM
so, if I move The Web to port 80, you'll get low ping?

:p

and did you mean to say 150 ping... you wrote 1500 ping.

Sorry man, you're at the whim of the server... that's what port the traffic is going through. Unless the UT server runs on a different port, you're stuck. Looks like their giving port priority to q3a though, but then q3a's netcode is a lot better

spineblaZe
23rd Jan 2004, 11:00 AM
Solution: Play Quake 3! qWAkE ROOOOOLLLLLZZZZZEEERRRZZ!!!!

I still can't beat Zaero on Hardcore :(

Slartoff
23rd Jan 2004, 11:14 AM
and did you mean to say 150 ping... you wrote 1500 ping.

No, 1500 was correct :(

Port 7777 is the default port for a server... but is that just the port you initially connect to the server on or does all the traffic go through 7777? I thought that for most apps there is the connection port that the client connects to the server on and then the client and server negotiate a different port to talk. ?

I still can't beat Zaero on Hardcore :(

Yeah Xaero is such an aimbotter :lol:

Zur
23rd Jan 2004, 11:54 AM
My ISP also uses port throttling (what's called prioritisation or QoS). This is probably in order to avoid network congestion as it offers unlimited downloading instead of the usual 10-20GB quota practised by other ISPs in Belgium.

I first noticed it's effects when I connected up to UT servers that were on exotic ports such as 30000 or 60000+ (high port values are usually used to dissuade port scanning and possible exploitation). The ping I obtained was as high as 500 which is ridiculous. The ISP fixed it since then I think and pings are normal again.

Port throttling is implemented following the distant port used so there's practically nothing you can do client side. Since you obtain normal pings on Quake 3, it is probable that the standard Quake 3 server port isn't "throttled" at all. So basically, the guy you were in touch with was talking total BS. I suggest you get in touch with someone else and ask why port 7777 is crippled when port 27960+1 is not, thereby making it possible to play Quake 3 and no other game.

Slartoff
23rd Jan 2004, 12:00 PM
My ISP also uses port throttling (what's called prioritisation or QoS). This is probably in order to avoid network congestion as it offers unlimited downloading instead of the usual 10-20GB quota practised by other ISPs in Belgium.

I first noticed it's effects when I connected up to UT servers that were on exotic ports such as 30000 or 60000+ (high port values are usually used to dissuade port scanning and possible exploitation). The ping I obtained was as high as 500 which is ridiculous. The ISP fixed it since then I think and pings are normal again.

Port throttling is implemented following the distant port used so there's practically nothing you can do client side. Since you obtain normal pings on Quake 3, it is probable that the standard Quake 3 server port isn't "throttled" at all. So basically, the guy you were in touch with was talking total BS. I suggest you get in touch with someone else and ask why port 7777 is crippled when port 27960+1 is not, thereby making it possible to play Quake 3 and no other game.

Yeah Quake and Half-Life ports aren't throttled it seems. I'll just keep bugging them until port 7777 is unhindered :)

spineblaZe
23rd Jan 2004, 12:28 PM
Xaero

Doh! I knew that looked wrong when I typed it. :shy:

I can go through the whole single player game on Nightmare but I can't even beat that ****er Xaero on Hardcore. :mad:

Spawn, railed. Spawn, railed. Spawn, jump on a boost pad, railed in air and fall to death... Score = Xaero 10, me -3