PDA

View Full Version : !!! WMP Contest Discussion !!!

Postal
22nd Jan 2004, 07:19 PM
<Updated 20040130>

Grand Prize a 50 dollar gift card(or something like that, we apparently can't send cash or something, but dont worry, you will get that amount somehow).

Second place is 25 dollars from Doc. Wong.

Rules are as follows:

1. Only 1 weapon may be submited by person or group. Only the first submited verson will be accepted. The entry must be previously unreleased.
We want new content, not recycled old junk.

2. The weapon will be open sourced, and will be sent in with decompiled source, and a working copy. We will look at the code, and part of it will be for judging. But all entries eligable to win will be put in a WMP pack and released. If we cant put it in the pack, you cant win, got it?

3. Entries must be under a meg in size compiled and running(we want to keep the size of the WMP pack 56k friendly, come on, you dont need a whole meg for 1 weapon). This does not include the source required for rule 2.

Unlike other competitions, substance over style. A nice model wont hurt, but we will be judging more on technical merit and clever coding than spectacular skins and perfect models (so you cant win if you've got a crap weapon using a pretty model ) We understand that its hard to stand out using stock content, but we also dont want a 90 meg zip for a singe weapon.

Oh, and after the competiton, we dont care if you use that weapon on other mods, etc, we just want new content for the WMP pack. Note, we didnt say you cant use it afterwards.

And Yes, we are flexable on the rules with in reason, if I am informed in advance.

Once the Pack is released, the community gets 2 weeks to vote, then I make the final decision based on the community vote(I will probable go with it, unless theres some major flaw with the entry, etc{it is my money}). Doc. Wong will pick who he thinks his $25 should go too.

Deadline date is the last day of Febuary.

Now get cracking.

Oh yea, 1 last thing. The contest will be cancled if less then ten (10) entries are submited.

Please reply to this post if you plan on entering. I will look into raising the stakes, and if enought people ask, I will lengthen the deadline.

Submission details. E-mail a working copy of youre weapon with instructions, and details on who made it to Postal0311@Boo.Net Also include youre decompiled source. Have the source ready to be compiled with the Package name WMPContest.u

Allright, bad news, my e-mails down. I will update as soons as its working.

SamMaster
22nd Jan 2004, 10:03 PM
I'm in

EvilDrWong
23rd Jan 2004, 05:36 AM
Just to clarify some stuff:

1) If its not obvious, you cannot 'cheat' and enter a weapon youve already made and put out. The idea here is for everyone participating to create something new for this weapon pack, not recycle old junk ;)

2) Open source or not, were still gonna take a peek at your code. And dont think we cant, because we can :) But, to save us the trouble of 'haxoring all ur stuff,' please send entries with the uncompiled .uc's

3) Unlike other more high stakes competitions, we would prefer substance over style. A nice model wont hurt, but we will be judging more on technical merit and clever coding than spectacular skins and perfect models (again though, they dont hurt, just dont expect to win if youve got a crap weapon using a pretty model ;) ) We understand that its hard to stand out using stock content, but we also dont want a 90 meg zip for a 13 weapon pack, ya dig?

Donator
23rd Jan 2004, 09:24 AM
perfect.
Me = spawning(class'TotalUberWeapon',,,1*ForContest);
defaultproperties
{FiringHelluvaFunnyProjectiles=True}
:lol:

SamMaster
23rd Jan 2004, 10:17 AM
now for the pimpage... :D

Postal
23rd Jan 2004, 11:55 AM
<Edited to remove redundent statements>

Yes, Substance over style, I would rather see a cool new weapon using the AR model, then a perfect copy of a M16 with the AR code. We don't care if you're weapon is the Insta-Kill or a Super-Warp BubbleGun Blow-Job Gun; if its a spear or a Gattling Laser, we want something cool.

ROFL 451
23rd Jan 2004, 12:34 PM
Doc, let me clarify again.

Yes we will look at the code, and part of it will be for judging. But all entries eligable to win will be put in a WMP pack and released. If we cant put it in the pack, you cant win, got it?

Yes, Substance over style, I would rather see a cool new weapon using the AR model, then a perfect copy of a M16 with the AR code. We don't care if you're weapon is the Insta-Kill or a Super-Warp BubbleGun Blow-Job Gun; if its a spear or a Gattling Laser, we want something cool.

Oh, and after the competiton, we dont care if you use that weapon on other mods, etc, we just want new content for the WMP pack.

Count me in. I got a model in the works, and with a bit of help from the WoD community, I think I might be able to get it ready in time.

Mr.Mitchell
23rd Jan 2004, 02:54 PM
1) If its not obvious, you cannot 'cheat' and enter a weapon youve already made and put out. The idea here is for everyone participating to create something new for this weapon pack, not recycle old junk ;)How about using a UT1 weapon I made and make a UT2k3 version of it?

Parser
23rd Jan 2004, 04:39 PM
Count me in. Time I did something for WoD again. :)

Postal
23rd Jan 2004, 04:47 PM
Mr. Mitchell, we are not going to be too picky, we just dont want something like, for example, the U4e Team entering the bubble gun, or . . . well basicly, if you released it previously for UT2k3, we dont want it. Ports are allright, in fact, if you want some good ideas, look at some of the old U1 mods.

Parser
23rd Jan 2004, 06:46 PM
Well, mine's finished (I'm a snappy worker, plus I had nothing much else to do :p). Shall I divulge details here? :)

Postal
23rd Jan 2004, 07:15 PM
Sure, I would love to hear it. Hold on to it, I will put out submission details when we are closer to the deadline date.

So what is that 5 enties?

CiD
23rd Jan 2004, 09:23 PM
ive been thinking,maybe a cool weapon would be the flametherower with a different alt. fire,similar to the goop guns alt fire.charge up a big glob of napalm,and let it fly at your opponent.

Postal
23rd Jan 2004, 09:38 PM
Why dont you make one CiD?

EvilDrWong
24th Jan 2004, 01:09 AM
creating weapons would be more a task for a support role... and CiD's custom user title clearly states that he is on offense. ;)

[SAS]Solid Snake
24th Jan 2004, 01:47 AM
I'm in, I talk a lot about coding in the BuF coding forums, but it's about high time I did some stuff for people to look at.

Smoke39
24th Jan 2004, 03:05 AM
and CiD's custom user title clearly states that he is on offense. ;)
I don't know why, but this made me laugh out loud. :lol: Oi, I'm tired...

8mm_BuLLEt
24th Jan 2004, 06:53 AM
DAMN! Looks like I cant enter (obviously). Well, I suppose I could TRY to learn to mod...

Postal
24th Jan 2004, 09:35 AM
its not that hard, you got over a month

Hao Niu-rou
24th Jan 2004, 01:44 PM
heh not the greatest coder, but I'm willing to try my hand at something :P

Postal
24th Jan 2004, 02:55 PM
Hey, this isnt a cut throat competition, if you need help, post on this forum, Im sure someone could help. I certainly will try.

SamMaster
25th Jan 2004, 10:34 PM
ive been thinking,maybe a cool weapon would be the flametherower with a different alt. fire,similar to the goop guns alt fire.charge up a big glob of napalm,and let it fly at your opponent.

Didn'T I make something not too too far to that? Ah well... Simpson's Quote!

"Well they said they modified it just enough so they don't owe us money." :D

Go ahead! We need more flamethrowers anyway ;)

Postal
26th Jan 2004, 05:09 AM
All my favorite flamers were back in unreal, truthfully I havent seen one I have liked since.

Postal
26th Jan 2004, 05:18 AM
The problemw ith flamethrowers are that they are simply inefficent weapons. Look at the fuel volume problems. Weapons technology has come to pefere high volume weapons. Loading intermediate cartriges to lighten load and increase capacity.

Fallen Angel
26th Jan 2004, 10:50 AM
I like the U2 flamer - nice and crispeh

but isn't this sorta goin off topic?

[SAS]Solid Snake
26th Jan 2004, 11:44 AM
How about the RTCW flamer?

Postal
26th Jan 2004, 11:59 AM
nah, RTCW was too easy to light youre self, and the range was kinda short.

Anywyas back on to topic, stay tuned for submission details.

Nereid
26th Jan 2004, 04:11 PM
I shall make something!!! :p

I've had a (somewhat) interesting idea for a weapon, but I will not tell anyone about it until, well... later. ;)

Postal
26th Jan 2004, 05:40 PM
Good to hear. The rules post is updated with submission details.

Now my question, even thought I cant win, should I enter a weapon too?

djpaul
31st Jan 2004, 08:12 AM
I'm in.

Postal
31st Jan 2004, 09:09 PM
Hao Niu-rou? allright, looking foward to seeing what you make.

Donator
2nd Feb 2004, 09:51 AM
Did I hear that right, somebody wanted a flamethrower...?
[then stay tuned for Disruptor's new ultra-hot altfire, the "Plasma-Flamethrower" :biggrin2: ]

Postal
2nd Feb 2004, 11:29 AM
Oh my, I do like that. Keep teasing me.

SamMaster
2nd Feb 2004, 11:47 AM
o_O'

Fallen Angel
2nd Feb 2004, 12:07 PM
omg 1337 *dribble* a flamer, plasma, and GREEEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Postal
2nd Feb 2004, 01:54 PM
Green Fyre Flamer, you use plasma since it can burn in the vacume of space.

Spiffy. Anyone else wanna show what you got.

Also, I can now recieve e-mails, but I cant send them. Feel free to start mailing in submissions.

SamMaster
2nd Feb 2004, 02:22 PM
I'll start working on mine today. Well might be more wednesdsay, today is practice time for my bro's CS clan, and tomorrow is CAL match time

Postal
8th Feb 2004, 01:54 PM
21 days left. I cant wait to play with these toys.

soldat
8th Feb 2004, 09:05 PM
hm... haven't coded in quite a while... but looks like i got back just in time. making a 20 weapon pack/evolution gametype... but i'll work on this first :D

count me in.

edit: can we use special custom buttons, like chaosUT's change ammo? if so, how many buttons?

Smoke39
8th Feb 2004, 09:18 PM
I may enter my plasma rifle in the contest before releasing it in the next version of P2K3. This is secondary fire ripping through a couple of losers.

soldat
8th Feb 2004, 09:25 PM
hey what do you think about this - cool or lame

a guitar weapon. pri fire - play a chord, which equals a beam laser or something. i dunno.

sec fire - play a song (like smells like teen spirit lol) that makes ceiling tiles fall from the roof or meteors if it's an open sky

EvilDrWong
8th Feb 2004, 11:58 PM
edit: can we use special custom buttons, like chaosUT's change ammo? if so, how many buttons?
If it were completely up to me id say yes... but there would be a couple requirements:
Only one special button. and the exec function needs to be called SpecialButton, so we can include a keybinder that will work with all of the weapons that are included in the pack.
got half of the vote ;) just waitin on postal's approval.

Damn donator, that looks freakin rad!

Postal
9th Feb 2004, 12:19 PM
Ooo, another plasma toy. Cant wait to play with these things.

Soldat, I say no limit, just include a keybind section for the GUI. Guitar sounds fine to me. Something more unique then the generic blaster.

ROFL 451
9th Feb 2004, 12:59 PM
Ooo, another plasma toy. Cant wait to play with these things.

Soldat, I say no limit, just include a keybind section for the GUI. Guitar sounds fine to me. Something more unique then the generic blaster.

I am submitting an Uzi, but IF POSSIBLE I have an idea that may allow me to add TWO weapons. Just theory, of course. Uzi just needs skinning and animating. w00t! I will start animating right now.

Postal
9th Feb 2004, 03:53 PM
Well, I could think of several ways to have 1 weapon be several. Make it upgradeable, or multimode, etc.

soldat
9th Feb 2004, 05:52 PM
hmm.. one more thing. what are you guys looking for, mainly? creativity, technically spectaular, overall enjoyment while killing, attention to details? which would you say is more important?

here's a pic of Ankalar's fabled famas... ported by me, and at the moment shooting goo...

edit: i probably won't enter this weapon... but it's fun anyways.

Postal
9th Feb 2004, 06:10 PM
All of the above. Origionality would be near the top, but not the most important. A totaly origional weapon that doesnt work for instance cant win. Fix the bugs, make the minor tweeks to make it good.

ROFL 451
10th Feb 2004, 02:07 PM
All of the above. Origionality would be near the top, but not the most important. A totaly origional weapon that doesnt work for instance cant win. Fix the bugs, make the minor tweeks to make it good.

My second weapon is nearing complete model stage. Ok, question:

Would you prefer
a) Uzi
b) Lava Caster

Neither is too much eye candy, but here are ideas:

Uzi: reloads every 30 bullets. (drop anim)
Lava Caster: Shoots a stream of lava that lands on the ground and forms a puddle, that lasts 10 seconds, (sorta like Bio Goop) To combat the minefield effect, make high ROF, low ammo

screens (updated):

Postal
10th Feb 2004, 02:36 PM
I have no preference either way, you make the idea you like better, you make it to the best of youre ability, and then with some luck, you might win.

soldat
10th Feb 2004, 06:49 PM
hey postal,

my weapon is..er.. 2.5 mb on disk. but it zips up to around 1.2mb... is that alright?

it's a colt revolver, and there's about 15 attachments you can purchase with kill credits, which include dual guns, scopes, different primary and secondary firing, etc. ;)

here are some screen shots... first one is no attachments, second is a silencer + 4x scope, and last one is a 12x scope... heh heh :D

rofl: the lava gun seems interesting... what will 2ndary fire do?

Postal
10th Feb 2004, 07:20 PM
NNNoooooooYyyessshh Way. As I said in the rules, were flexable if you ask first. Sure I will take it. I'm also pritty sure Colt never make a top break. Looks more like a Schoefield, or more like some gun in a cartoon show I once saw, called trigun or something like that, Think I have seen like 3 episodes. Full underlug would make it kinda heavy, would would help control recoil, and I never saw a left hand loading gate before, but it does look awsome. Someone else made a Trigun pistol for 2k3, but this looks similar, but is obiviously better.

Anywho, I can recieve e-mails. If you want to submit something, mail it to Postal0311@Boo.net When I recieve a submission, I will make a post about it.

ROFL 451
10th Feb 2004, 08:41 PM
hey postal,

my weapon is..er.. 2.5 mb on disk. but it zips up to around 1.2mb... is that alright?

it's a colt revolver, and there's about 15 attachments you can purchase with kill credits, which include dual guns, scopes, different primary and secondary firing, etc. ;)

here are some screen shots... first one is no attachments, second is a silencer + 4x scope, and last one is a 12x scope... heh heh :D

rofl: the lava gun seems interesting... what will 2ndary fire do?

Still deciding, but I have a good idea.

Primary: Sprays a continous thick stream of boiling lava out onto the ground, lasts for 10 seconds, does moderate damage, and burn damage (after damage) Mostly used a choke point creator, or to cover your back when retreating. Try spraying it on an enemy >:]

Secondary: Fires a longrange pencil-width stream of super pressurized lava. Uses less ammo, does less damage, BUT you can shoot long range with secondary, while Primary is short/medium range. Best use: Burn damage. Need help thinking up a possible better secondary

Postal
13th Feb 2004, 08:05 PM
*Taps foot*

*Looks at watch*

*Checks E-mail*

So, I am wondering when someones going to send something in. I understand it would be better to wait till the last moment, since I am going to only take the first submission, but boy am I looking foward to getting a submission.

I better get 10 weapons!

soldat
13th Feb 2004, 08:51 PM
hrm... sorry... ut2k4.... keeping me busy!!!!!

onslaught... wierd name... but royale fun... especially online. what can i say.

actually... i should be coding *hangs head in shame*

postal: have you heard from 10 people about contest interest yet?

Postal
14th Feb 2004, 06:11 AM
I believe we have had over 10 people respond to this thread, but, wether they will follow though or not is the question.

ROFL 451
14th Feb 2004, 08:45 PM
hrm... sorry... ut2k4.... keeping me busy!!!!!

onslaught... wierd name... but royale fun... especially online. what can i say.

actually... i should be coding *hangs head in shame*

postal: have you heard from 10 people about contest interest yet?

Ut2004 is rockin man! I spent 5 hours this morning playing assault, instead of trying to animate my weapon.

Soldat, can you help me with my model? I am having a bit of trouble animating/skinning it. WHat program are you using to model/animate? I see you've got a fine lookin' gun there, and was wondering if you could help me. Postal is worried about submissions, and I will gladly make one, but since this is my first ever REAL MODEL, I need some help.

Also, you know how to code, and that would help me out if you could give me some pointers. Not asking you to code, skin, or animate it, just asking for pointers/help.

Lava Caster model is finished, complete model is slightly below 1,300 poly's for 3rd person, will cut down some detail and make 1st person too. So, 1 hour of work.

soldat
15th Feb 2004, 12:11 AM
rofl: 1300 polys should be fine. for a 3rd person model it is a little high, but if you optimize, that's not bad for a 1st person polycount. i mean, most people will be able to handle it.

i did talk about animating, but here's not the best place. i started a thread: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1366115#post1366115

.. i am sucking at 2k4's assault... but onslaught is where it's at~!

Postal
15th Feb 2004, 07:41 PM
I love the vehicles, but I dont like the ONS gameplay. I would rather do Assault with vehicles.

2 weeks left

ROFL 451
17th Feb 2004, 10:42 AM
Hey Postal, maybe could you give us a few more days to complete the weapons? I think if I have a little more time I can finish it in time.

Postal
17th Feb 2004, 01:45 PM
Anyone else need an extension? I would rather not, but if enough people ask for one, I will grant a short one.

SamMaster
18th Feb 2004, 03:06 PM
might need one.

Postal
18th Feb 2004, 04:38 PM
Thats, 2, so lets make this fair.

I said I want a minimium of 10 entries. If 2 more people ask, I will grant a reasonable extension. Thats 40%, fair enough to me.

How does 2 weeks sound. the 15th of April, the day after my 20th celberation of hatching.

ROFL 451
18th Feb 2004, 04:47 PM
Thats, 2, so lets make this fair.

I said I want a minimium of 10 entries. If 2 more people ask, I will grant a reasonable extension. Thats 40%, fair enough to me.

How does 2 weeks sound. the 15th of April, the day after my 20th celberation of hatching.

*Cough* 15th of March you mean?

P.S.
April 12th is my B'day . . . close to yours, cool.

soldat
19th Feb 2004, 01:11 PM
lol.

i wouldn't mind an extension... i truly hate working with xinterface and designing menus.... which is what i'm doing right now.

probably w/ extra weeks i'd have the time to make a better product :D.... not saying that i actually need the extension... *wink*

ROFL 451
19th Feb 2004, 02:47 PM
lol.

i wouldn't mind an extension... i truly hate working with xinterface and designing menus.... which is what i'm doing right now.

probably w/ extra weeks i'd have the time to make a better product :D.... not saying that i actually need the extension... *wink*

*winks back*

Postal
19th Feb 2004, 06:38 PM
Heh, I mean March, ya, thats 3, anyone else want to file a claim?

So Mr. Praetorian, you poped out on a 12th? Hmm, what year do you claim?

debucode
21st Feb 2004, 04:32 AM
One comment, on the guitar weapon idea:

I was thinking about a guitar weapon that worked like the link gun - where primary fire plays a riff that shoots out a continuous stream of notes. These notes can hurt enemies and boost team members. Alt fire plays a chord that causes an explosion around the player.

Even better, if the weapon would rotate the player's torso back and forth and side to side like they were playing an 80's metal solo.

debucode
21st Feb 2004, 04:55 AM
I'm planning an entry (just a little tweak to the BioRifle I've been playing with), but obviously better to believe me when the code actually arrives. I am cool with an extension if the polls are still open. Or at least, I'd like to be able make a "test submission" - I'm testing my stuff but none of my local droogs plays UT2K3, so I'm only able to test on my own machine, not on someone else's setup.

Any particular tips on what you guys do when you test? Like do you test networking with two boxes, or do you run server and client on one machine?

Dave C.

Nereid
21st Feb 2004, 02:47 PM
I could probably use an extension as well, as UT2004 and homework stuff (mainly the homework stuff) have been keeping me busy. :)

Ok, I'll tell everyone what my weapon is about. Basically, it is a gun that shoots blobs of oil for the primary fire, and flaming objects (like chairs, apples, etc.) that ignite the oil for secondary fire. Screenshots coming soon...

By the way, does anyone know of any good weapon modelling+skinning+animating tutorials? I'm still using the Assault Rifle model for now, but it doesn't seem to work too well.

Donator
22nd Feb 2004, 11:07 AM
Got the flamethrower working recently and it's already looking decent, but if you want some extra eyecandy a week or two overtime wouldn't hurt...

ROFL 451
23rd Feb 2004, 02:45 PM
Heh, I mean March, ya, thats 3, anyone else want to file a claim?

So Mr. Praetorian, you poped out on a 12th? Hmm, what year do you claim?

1989 - E.g. On April 12th this year I will be 15.

pwnt. Thats more than 40%!

About my weapon, I cant find any good skinning tuts. Mostly animated, just need a good skin and some coding. But I can't find any skinning tutorials that do me any good. . .

debucode
23rd Feb 2004, 04:52 PM
ROFL,
I'm by no means an expert skinner, but there are lots of tutorials on skinning in various tools (I guess you are using 3DSMax) - the one thing I've noticed is that they tend to focus on exactly how to do a particular model (usually a character), and not why you are doing all these things (like matching the skin against a checkerboard pattern, or even what the whole point is in the first place). Which makes it harder to generalize the techniques to different types of models. Are you specifically looking for a weapon tutorial, or a 3ds max weapon tutorial? Or a 3dsmax UT weapon tutorial...? Or more like the actual skinning image tips?

Personally, I'm sitting here with 3 or 4 models in UT2K3 which I didn't even skin at all - I defined constant color textures for the mesh skins. Later, I'll go back and make proper skins (luckily they are almost all very simple geometric shapes) - but for now I am just playing with the models. But part of that is because I've been using Milkshape and have been more worried about not being able to import meshes correctly than in how ugly my skins are...

ROFL 451
23rd Feb 2004, 07:27 PM
ROFL,
I'm by no means an expert skinner, but there are lots of tutorials on skinning in various tools (I guess you are using 3DSMax) - the one thing I've noticed is that they tend to focus on exactly how to do a particular model (usually a character), and not why you are doing all these things (like matching the skin against a checkerboard pattern, or even what the whole point is in the first place). Which makes it harder to generalize the techniques to different types of models. Are you specifically looking for a weapon tutorial, or a 3ds max weapon tutorial? Or a 3dsmax UT weapon tutorial...? Or more like the actual skinning image tips?

Personally, I'm sitting here with 3 or 4 models in UT2K3 which I didn't even skin at all - I defined constant color textures for the mesh skins. Later, I'll go back and make proper skins (luckily they are almost all very simple geometric shapes) - but for now I am just playing with the models. But part of that is because I've been using Milkshape and have been more worried about not being able to import meshes correctly than in how ugly my skins are...

I need a weapon skinning tutorial -
I have:
A complete geometrically complex model + ammo container
Mostly finished animating

All I need is a tutorial on how to skin it. The weapon is finished, exept for skin and code, and a small amount of animating.

Edit: Yes im using 3ds Studio Max 6

Nereid
23rd Feb 2004, 10:31 PM
Speaking of which, does anyone know of any tutorials that cover modelling and animating as well?

debucode
24th Feb 2004, 04:27 AM
Well, I suspect part of the reason that there aren't so many weapon skinning tutorials is that skinning is not dependent so much on the model being a weapon as much as it is about how to break the model into easily skinnable parts. A "weapon" could be a lot of different shapes, and the shapes determine the skin. For instance even though I threw out my topology textbook a long time ago I am quite sure that lava projector you have in that screenshot is [B]not[\B] going to skin up quite the same way as the uzi. Not at all.

So I say, just do it.

Dave

PS. I actually am not using 3dsmax (I'm using Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap 3D) so I can't really provide specific advice about how it is supposed to be used. But, you might find it easier to look at some some generic-type tut's and maybe even work through those examples:

http://jozef.3dpixel.org/
This has like a slideshow tutorial on skinning a model in 3dsmax.

http://www.planetunreal.com/swartz/tutorials/tut_unwrap.htm
General UV mapping a model with 3ds max. The skinning for this is a lot like how I have been doing stuff in Ultimate Unwrap 3d.

http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.php?action=doc&ID=162#10
Static mesh skinning of a table.

http://psychokillax.tripod.com/html/weaponskinning.html
Weapon skinning in an old version of 3dsmax. Okay I will say this skin is flat out wrong even by my lax standards.

ROFL 451
24th Feb 2004, 12:31 PM
Well, I suspect part of the reason that there aren't so many weapon skinning tutorials is that skinning is not dependent so much on the model being a weapon as much as it is about how to break the model into easily skinnable parts. A "weapon" could be a lot of different shapes, and the shapes determine the skin. For instance even though I threw out my topology textbook a long time ago I am quite sure that lava projector you have in that screenshot is [B]not[\B] going to skin up quite the same way as the uzi. Not at all.

So I say, just do it.

Dave

PS. I actually am not using 3dsmax (I'm using Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap 3D) so I can't really provide specific advice about how it is supposed to be used. But, you might find it easier to look at some some generic-type tut's and maybe even work through those examples:

http://jozef.3dpixel.org/
This has like a slideshow tutorial on skinning a model in 3dsmax.

http://www.planetunreal.com/swartz/tutorials/tut_unwrap.htm
General UV mapping a model with 3ds max. The skinning for this is a lot like how I have been doing stuff in Ultimate Unwrap 3d.

http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.php?action=doc&ID=162#10
Static mesh skinning of a table.

http://psychokillax.tripod.com/html/weaponskinning.html
Weapon skinning in an old version of 3dsmax. Okay I will say this skin is flat out wrong even by my lax standards.

Thank you so much for the great tutorials! That should be all that I need to complete my model. Other than coding of course, lol.

I hope that my weapon will come out well, and it's not so geometrically simple to easily skin, but I will give it a shot, just the same!

P.S.
I need to skin both the 1st and 3rd person models, correct?

debucode
24th Feb 2004, 03:02 PM
Well, I only just skimmed the tutorials, so caveat emptor as they say. But they looked like an okay start to me.

You basically need to skin both models if you want to be able to paint skins for them. If you define a pickup you will also want a model for the pickup which will also need a skin. But you can always re-use models and skins (for instance I think it's common to reuse the 3rd person model/skin to make a static mesh for use as a pickup).

soldat
26th Feb 2004, 08:34 PM
it's so stupid that you need a static mesh for a pickup (or it's expected, at least, for the spinny weapon display). static mesh files are big and importing them sucks... 3dsmax => milkshape => ued.

but life's like that :D

Nereid
26th Feb 2004, 08:39 PM
it's so stupid that you need a static mesh for a pickup (or it's expected, at least, for the spinny weapon display). static mesh files are big and importing them sucks... 3dsmax => milkshape => ued.

but life's like that :D
What I just do is export from 3dsmax in ASE (ASCII Scene Export) format then import into UnrealEd directly.

Donator
27th Feb 2004, 08:08 AM
Just for clarification: was the contest deadline officially extended now?

SamMaster
27th Feb 2004, 09:31 AM
looks like we need postal to confirm or something

Postal
27th Feb 2004, 12:54 PM
15th, since I get paid again then.

That way, I can blow this entire paycheck

You all would not belive the week I have had.

Donator
27th Feb 2004, 01:19 PM
Good. Some new Disruptor screenies can be found here (http://forums.unrealplayground.com/showthread.php?t=19878) by the way...

Postal
27th Feb 2004, 07:43 PM
Spiffy

soldat
27th Feb 2004, 08:53 PM
hey, that's pretty nifty. i like the skins.

it wouldn't be considered illegitimate for me to ask for betatestors for my gun, would it?

ROFL 451
27th Feb 2004, 09:07 PM
hey, that's pretty nifty. i like the skins.

it wouldn't be considered illegitimate for me to ask for betatestors for my gun, would it?

No, PM me for email and send it to me!

Er, I mean:

"I do sincerely hope that your request is accepted and I will willingly partake of the beta testing. One will hope to no limits that the peoples will be pleased with out humble attempt to please and satiate them. My work will be complete if I may easy another's fears by testing his gun, to ensure his approval from his peers. Alas, but I ramble, I should like to help you test your weapon."

SEND SEND SEND
Edit: 100th post! w00

Postal
27th Feb 2004, 09:37 PM
Beta testors are fine, or if you wanna use some buddies to test the thing online. However dont let them put it up on UT2k3files.com or anything like that, kay?

So, when will I get a first submission?

EvilDrWong
28th Feb 2004, 06:27 AM
Why should you get any special treatment? :p You get submissions when everyone gets submissions. None of this bias crap because you had a hand in helping someone tune a weapon to your preferences.

Postal
28th Feb 2004, 08:39 AM
Recall my rules state that entries would be submited to me, then I will compile them into a pack, and then release it for the comunity voting.

Dont worry Doc, when I get one, you will get it too.

SamMaster
29th Feb 2004, 12:05 AM
do we need a working mutator? I kinda have trouble with it for some reason...

Postal
29th Feb 2004, 10:04 AM
negative

Parser
29th Feb 2004, 10:22 AM
Damn. All these other weapons make mine feel really small now.

I'll describe it here:

The Horse Master uses the QuadShot model (re-skinned, animated and imported by myself, the total filesize isn't massive or anything, it's well under 200KB) and is effectively a modified flak cannon.
Primary shoots out a tight-spread bunch of electric slugs which cause visual impact of electricity when they hit the opponent. When they die, convulsions occur.
Secondary fire is one I'm prouder of - fire bullets. When you hit an opponent, they will trail flames for several seconds, and if you kill them, it will skeletise them and make the skeleton flash red.

It's not an extremely technical weapon, which is what I'm worried about, but I had fun making and playing with it. :p

Postal
29th Feb 2004, 11:41 AM
Interesting

Postal
1st Mar 2004, 05:32 PM
Allright, who wants to see a competition for 2k4. I know this would be jumping the gun, but it wouldnt be a weapons pak, it would be a mutator, or combo, or some other such thing.

Anywho. My mind whent blank.

SamMaster
1st Mar 2004, 06:40 PM
Just when I'll get UT2K4, and only when I finish my Super Weapons X, which will also include some selectable player class (if I can get there)

Postal
1st Mar 2004, 06:56 PM
Oh, I got some plans for 2k4. But first, I need a new computer.

SamMaster
2nd Mar 2004, 11:35 AM
agreed

ROFL 451
2nd Mar 2004, 12:07 PM
Well, just a word of forewarning. Due to some setbacks with my time schedule, I may not be able to submit my weapon on time/at all. I have a pretty sizable amount of work to do, and am just kinda struggling through it. Hope that all works out, I just may not be able to submit my weapon.

For one thing, I am going on vacation for a week (5-12th) so that cuts in on my time as well. . . .

I hope that I can finish it, but chances are I might not be able to. Wish me luck :(

Postal
2nd Mar 2004, 02:59 PM
Shame, well good luck with youre RL work.

Donator
2nd Mar 2004, 04:33 PM
Promised some extra eyecandy...

Postal
2nd Mar 2004, 05:00 PM
I do hope you plan on e-mailing that to me someday, I simply can not wait to try it.

debucode
3rd Mar 2004, 01:41 AM
I think for 2004 a wacky vehicles compilation is in order at some point. Or something. I was never a UT player at all and only got UT2K3 to try my hand at modding. But those vehicles in the 2K4 demo are too much fun.

But first things first. I have features to implement and bugs to fix.

ROFL 451
3rd Mar 2004, 12:31 PM
Well, thanks to 3 hours of help from Soldat last night, I got some skinning and coding finished. He helped me understand subclasses and so forth, and step-by-step coached me through importing bitmaps and appying them and and coding weapon damage.

So:
Thank you so much Soldat!

He game me a fighting chance to finish this weapon!

Postal
3rd Mar 2004, 01:49 PM
Thats realy good to hear. Good luck Mr. ROFL, and comendations to Soldat.

Donator
4th Mar 2004, 08:53 AM
I do hope you plan on e-mailing that to me someday, I simply can not wait to try it.

Anytime. Just installed proper sound and dynamic light effects. All that is left to do is to check the thing for bugs, try it online and send it to a few beta testers for covering the unpredictable. So, any volunteers? :D

ROFL 451
4th Mar 2004, 10:51 AM
Anytime. Just installed proper sound and dynamic light effects. All that is left to do is to check the thing for bugs, try it online and send it to a few beta testers for covering the unpredictable. So, any volunteers? :D

I'm up for it, i'll PM you with my e-mail adress. Or do you have a link for me to download from? Whichever, I feel that if there is a chance I can't submit a weapon, then I should at least help by beta tasting.

Donator
4th Mar 2004, 12:31 PM
Just went out, check your mail. "Anyone else want some?" :lol:

Kangus
4th Mar 2004, 03:07 PM
hook me up Donator.
kangus@planetunreal.com

Parser
4th Mar 2004, 03:29 PM
Hmm.. right, that's it. I'ma make a new weapon for the contest, the Horse Master sucks balls compared to other stuff I've done. :p

Is the satisfaction factor of using the weapon a strong impact point for judgement?

ROFL 451
4th Mar 2004, 04:45 PM
I am making the Lava Caster a child of the Bio-Rifle. Does this mean for every package that the Bio-Rifle has I need to create one for the Lava Caster?

e.g. LavaCasterPickup extends class BioRiflePickup;
DamTypeLavaGlob extends class DamTypeBioGLob;
so forth?

soldat
4th Mar 2004, 05:02 PM
Donator, wanna swap weapons?

also, anyone who wants to help me beta test let me know, thanks... at the moment trying to work out dual colt behavior... then i'm gonna see if its worth it to implement net code :) got most of it finished though.

rofl- any class you want to implement that has nondefault (non bio rifle) behavior needs to be subclassed. so yeah, most of the bio rifle files.

ROFL 451
4th Mar 2004, 05:36 PM
Donator, wanna swap weapons?

also, anyone who wants to help me beta test let me know, thanks... at the moment trying to work out dual colt behavior... then i'm gonna see if its worth it to implement net code :) got most of it finished though.

rofl- any class you want to implement that has nondefault (non bio rifle) behavior needs to be subclassed. so yeah, most of the bio rifle files.

Ah, thanks.

Soldat: Tested the Colt 2004 some more, and discovered an interesting fact: Bots DO! buy attachments, but only occasionally. One bought the shruikens and the other bought the nades. Dual Colts would be nice, as would a 3rd person mesh. It gets confusing trying to tell whether it's a lightning gun or Colt. Also, custom ammo meshes would be helpful, and not too hard to make. Just make a box and texture it accordingly (e.g. Colt 2004 rounds - 12 bullets!) or feel you feel like going into detail : a string of twelve bullets linked together or something. Hope all works out! Also! It would be nice to have separate ammo counters for nades and normal pistol shot. Would only be needed for Nade attachment, but it got kinda confusing. You also had better finish the Superweapon attachments, it bugs me not to be able to buy those.

Donator: Disruptor is quite good. Not sure if this is a bug, but I got a "Double Kill!" with both kills in secondary plasma flame mode, and UT2003 locked up. Not sure if it was my system, or the gun or what, but it was wierd. See if anyone else can replicate this situation. Bots are EXTREMELY accurate, knocking me out of the air with primary blasts. So I only have one (possible) bug to report. Have yet to test either your gun or soldat's over the LAN.

Donator
4th Mar 2004, 06:06 PM
Kangus: sent it, check your mail.

Soldat: Anytime, it'd be a pleasure. Just mail your stuff to philipp.donat@chello.at and let me know your eMail addy.

ROFL 451: Thanks a bunch, I had a system lockup twice (in ~2 weeks) myself but tried ages to replicate it without luck, you might have finally found out where I must start searching now. Ah well... :o

soldat
4th Mar 2004, 06:11 PM
the reason i'm not including 3rd person, pickup, and ammo meshes is because my file is already 1.6 mb, and i don't wanna break the rules too much ;)

i will probably do reskins for those things. better scale down the reskins too. eww.

this community weapon pack was a good idea, thanks parse and wong :)

Donator
4th Mar 2004, 06:55 PM
Soldat: got your colt. My first impression: pure coding genious and a good looking piece of hardware, but the "perks" are kinda... unconventional? :lol: Shuriken, laser, VX rockets... what's that, some kind of magic pistol? Anyway, I'll do some real testing tomorrow.

News on the Disruptor lockup: I was finally able to reproduce it after loading a tiny map full of dumb bots and stacking ludicrous kills with the flamethrower for about fifteen minutes. As predicted, it happened exactly during a DoubleKill. Anybody who can provide an error message or log file of such an event or has suggestions on what might have gone wrong here has my thanks in advance. :(

soldat
5th Mar 2004, 12:24 AM
Donator, tried out your disruptor... deals out lots of damage :) it's real nice

i also duplicated the crash :( i nailed the bomb carrier in bombing run with 2ndary fire, and crashed. one hint: you are getting a lot of accessed none violations in the log:

Warning: Disruptor BR-Anubis.Disruptor (Function XWeapons.LinkGun.PutDown:000D) Accessed None
Warning: Disruptor BR-Anubis.Disruptor (Function XWeapons.LinkGun.PutDown:000D) Accessed None
Warning: Disruptor BR-Anubis.Disruptor (Function XWeap

that last line was cut off, because that's exactly when the crash happened. even if this isn't the cause of the problems, accessed nones are bad. i will keep testing.

soldat
5th Mar 2004, 03:05 AM
okay crashed again. i haven't finished a single bombing run game without crashing. *sob*

same errors in log:

Warning: Disruptor BR-Anubis.Dis

(cutoff again)

this time using primary fire. and not even a double kill. i think it might have been a bomb carrier kill. i dunno, anyways it crashed a bunch. i play bombing run anubis.

but on the other hand, i am getting damn good with the primary fire. can even shoot kids out of the air. i like it.

Kangus
5th Mar 2004, 12:26 PM
Replicated:

Warning: Disruptor BR-Canyon.Disruptor (Function XWeapons.LinkGun.PutDown:000D) Accessed None
Warning: Disruptor BR-Canyon.Disruptor (Function XWeapons.LinkGun.PutDown:000D) Accessed None
Log: Allocating 108080 byte dynamic vertex buffer.
Warning: Disruptor BR-Canyon.Disruptor (Function XWeapons.LinkGun.PutDown:000D)

Also, if you go into a third person view, the flame FX from the alt fire do not appear, just the sparks where it hits the geometry.

soldat
5th Mar 2004, 12:43 PM
ugnnnnnnn kangus, while you were partying that ass last night.... i worked until 6 am doing a problem set + paper. and then i woke up at 9 to do it some more.

Donator
5th Mar 2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info pals. Still working on finding the error causing the crash though.

Soldat: speaking of Accessed:None's, the colt creates those over and over:

Warning: WColt BR-Anubis.WColt (Function WMPColt.WColt.RenderOverlays:0008) Accessed None
Warning: WColt BR-Anubis.WColt (Function WMPColt.WColt.RenderOverlays:001E) Accessed None
Error: WColt BR-Anubis.WColt (State WMPColt.opWBasic.Reloading:EE84EB00) GotoLabel (None): Label not found

PS: fixed the alt-fire flames being invisible in third person. Look like I only accidentally commented out a cruzial section when trying to eliminate an Accessed:none last minute. :lol:

Does anybody know what this error message means?

Warning: P8 Weightmap integrated into forces!
Log: pData->links count: 643
Log: ProcMesh 0 shared verts.

Postal
5th Mar 2004, 02:48 PM
Im happy to hear all this discussion. Unhappy since my ISP sucks, and as soon as this contest is over, I am switching services.

soldat
5th Mar 2004, 05:56 PM
searched for those strings in the *.uc and *.u files... no luck

but it seems you get those errors on maps anyways regardless of your weapon. so hopefully its not your fault :D if you are concerned, try swapping out your meshes for other ones, one by one. hunch says it might be a mesh problem.

Donator
5th Mar 2004, 06:03 PM
Happy news: subclassed the Disruptor directly under weapon (instead of LinkGun) and changed those small green flames that are attached to players' bones from xEmitters to Emitters. Couldn't crash the game since then and I've already been playing 45 minutes...

Postal
5th Mar 2004, 08:16 PM
That was probable the problem. Something linkgun that you changed was conflicting.

Donator
6th Mar 2004, 04:22 AM
Unlikely. That was my firts idea too, but even after leaving out the LinkGun code the game would still crash occasionally. I think the problem originates either from attaching several xEmitters to the same bone, or from the "if (!AttachToBone...) -> Destroy.xEmitter" paragraph, since the problem disappeared the moment I used the Emitters' native "Kill" function instead of the xEmitters' "Destroy".

Donator
6th Mar 2004, 06:46 AM
This version should be bug free. It's a code-only version, so only useful to those I've sent the first beta with the new textures included. Just replace the old .int and .u file.

Parser
6th Mar 2004, 07:08 AM
Hey Postal, we're still allowed to use the SpecialButton exec function in our weapons, aren't we? I've managed to make mine more interesting in doing so. :)

If you want a description, head over to http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com - latest news post. :)

Postal
6th Mar 2004, 07:17 AM
Yup a special exec allright. but I would like permission that if several weapons uses execs, to change the names so they all use the same button.

Parser
6th Mar 2004, 08:24 AM
Mine's currently using SpecialButton, like you specified on page 2. :)

Postal
6th Mar 2004, 12:45 PM
Actually it was Doc idea, but it is a good one.

soldat
6th Mar 2004, 02:02 PM
disruptor.... usually to destroy the xemitters you set mregen=false. this, coupled with the xemitter lifespan, ought to exterminate it. but if you fixed it, cool. i'll test it out.

also, do you hurt yourself when you fire disruptor primary blasts? not the explosion, but just by shooting? i think i killed myself that way. hmm.

parser, your underslinger sounds lethal... i like it!

Postal
6th Mar 2004, 02:57 PM
9 days left. I do hope I get 9 more entries.

Donator
6th Mar 2004, 05:24 PM
Per se, it's possible. The Disruptor primary projectiles perform a constant HurtRadius every 0.1sec, so even a graze shot will hurt you slightly. But even with the speed combo activated you're too slow to actually hurt yourself with it. It is possible though, if you jump from a high spot, gather some falling speed and fire downwards.

Postal
6th Mar 2004, 06:03 PM
I will someone to send me an entry.

Parser
6th Mar 2004, 06:15 PM
I think mine's more or less done now. Got the damage types in, finalised it, but I just need to give it a quick test online. Hopefully it'll be in your inbox by tomorrow. :)

Postal
6th Mar 2004, 06:59 PM
WooHoo

And look, Kangus has another whimpy avatar again.

Donator
6th Mar 2004, 07:15 PM
Same here. All I need is the ok from the beta testers and you can have it.

Postal
6th Mar 2004, 09:06 PM
WooHoo <<--Cheap Excuse to boost post count-->>

Parser
7th Mar 2004, 04:56 AM
Damn, problem. Uh, the exec function doesn't work online at all. No client message, no change in firemode properties. I'll see if I can't fix this.

Parser
7th Mar 2004, 05:27 AM
Ok, I got it working. Just needed to turn the exec function into a simulated function then replicate it clientside. :)
If anyone else is having problems with their exec commands working clientside in netplay, do this:

Turn exec function SpecialButton() into exec simulated function SpecialButton()

Now add some server to client replication:

replication
{
reliable if ( Role < ROLE_Authority )
SpecialButton, bAlternateFire;
}

The bAlternateFire bool is just my toggle for switching between the two alt fire modes.

Postal
7th Mar 2004, 08:50 AM
Awsome, that will help me to, thanks.

Parser
7th Mar 2004, 09:59 AM
No problem. I sent the file along with an email to the @boo.net address. Is that the correct one?

Postal
7th Mar 2004, 10:45 AM
Recieved.

8 more.

Allright, the name of the contest package is WMPak1. Im changing the BLG and the Underslinger to use that.

soldat
7th Mar 2004, 04:27 PM
i'm probably going to finish on the 13th or 14th... barely before the deadline. 'cuz next week's finals. that's bad.

Postal
7th Mar 2004, 05:01 PM
As long as I get it, Im happy.

Donator
7th Mar 2004, 05:22 PM
Just curious, did anybody manage to crash the beta2 Disruptor recently?

Postal
7th Mar 2004, 06:53 PM
I hope not. I wanna play.(Shameless post count boosting post)

Nereid
8th Mar 2004, 07:11 PM
Do bots need to know how to use these weapons as well?

Postal
8th Mar 2004, 07:17 PM
They dont have too, but it would be perfered.

7 Days left.

Postal
9th Mar 2004, 08:17 PM
*taps foot*
*Looks at watch*
6 Days left, I want to click on check mail, and spend an hour dling all those weapons.

Postal
9th Mar 2004, 08:35 PM
I will make you guys a deal.

If I dont get 10 entries, I will still pay out to the winner.

However, if I dont get 10 entries, there will be no WMP Competition for 2k4, allright?
Doc, Kang and I have talked it over, and we were thinking along the lines of a 150 dollar grandprize. A 2k4 contest would be on something other then weapons, perhaps mutators or melee? Vehicles mods?

soldat
10th Mar 2004, 04:04 AM
i'd like that. vehicle mods would bring out a lot of creativity. unless someone makes the ub3rl337 plasmaiondisintegrator takeoutapowercoreinoneshot bycicle. that would be truly l337.

Postal
10th Mar 2004, 05:49 AM
Recon Cycle from C&C, that would be fun. I want to make a GunShip Raptor. Give it a minigun, and Rocket Pods.

In any even, lets wrap up this mod first.

Donator
10th Mar 2004, 06:41 AM
Damn! And I thought I was the only one dreaming of driving a NOD-MOT through the endless grasslands of Torlan... :D

soldat
10th Mar 2004, 08:14 PM
flame tank... or maybe a portable obelisk.

and yeah, we need some two/3/4/5/6 person aircraft.

Postal
11th Mar 2004, 06:01 AM
Ive been talking to someone about a Heuy with a machine gun mounted on the side.

Donator
11th Mar 2004, 07:09 AM
Obelisk of Light would make an impressive defence turret for the main base. A powerful, chargable laser on primary and a lock-on feature la Avril secondary to actually hit those pesky Mantas.

PS: I'd REALLY like to send the Disruptor in now, so here goes the call to all my beta testers: did any crashes occur in beta2?

ROFL 451
11th Mar 2004, 10:34 AM
Eh. Back from vacation, with a few scant days to finish my weapon. I see all is going well, and I think that even if you don't get 10 entries you should still do one for UT2004. Because it is newer, people will be roaring for new weapons, so I think that creating a weapon pack for that would be a huge hit. just my 2 cents. Will try to finish weapon before the deadline. . .0_0

Postal
11th Mar 2004, 11:09 AM
If I dont get 8 more entries, why should I pony up more of my money?

ROFL 451
11th Mar 2004, 04:34 PM
If I dont get 8 more entries, why should I pony up more of my money?

Then why pony up more of your money for this contest? You get a half-hearted attempt (me included, I am just no good, Donator and Soldat excluded for making good weapons) and still pay up, why not save teh cash for the real shibang?

Just a thought

Postal
11th Mar 2004, 05:26 PM
This is a simple competition with a grand prize of 50 dollars and a runner up of 25, we are flexable, we even extented the deadline by 50%.

If we cant get 10 entries now why should be bother to have a contest for 2k4?

Early chats had an estimated prize of 200 for 2k4. Im not going to put money to something that obiviously not working.

Anywho, who all else is going to submit something? 4 days left.

ROFL 451
11th Mar 2004, 05:32 PM
4 days left.

Quiet you, I can't work under pressure

Nereid
11th Mar 2004, 06:05 PM
They dont have too, but it would be perfered.
Phew, I know nothing about bot AI.

4 days left.
Crap...I really need to finish up my gun over the weekend. (Fortunately I have tomorrow off :-))

Better test it online as well... (It has to work online, right? Otherwise there would be no point :p)

Quiet you, I can't work under pressure
I second that.

Postal
11th Mar 2004, 09:34 PM
---Beep Beep Beep--- !!!ALARM ALARM!!! ---Beep Beep Beep---

Warning Will Robinson! 3.25 Days Left! Danger! Danger!

Doesnt have to work online, but that is VERY MUCH Perfered.

ROFL 451
11th Mar 2004, 09:52 PM

Warning Will Robinson! 3.25 Days Left! Danger! Danger!

Doesnt have to work online, but that is VERY MUCH Perfered.

No!! ---Slaps Sleep Button--- I get extra time tonight to work on it, at least 1 + 1/2 hours. . .

Postal
11th Mar 2004, 10:09 PM
3.24 Days Left

LMAO, any cheep excuse to boost my post count and keep this on top.

I wanna see another entry.

ROFL 451
11th Mar 2004, 10:48 PM
3.24 Days Left

LMAO, any cheep excuse to boost my post count and keep this on top.

I wanna see another entry.

Oh, go sit on a grenade.

P.S.
My Lava Caster is a child of the Bio Rifle, and I need some help on this code:

class DamTypeLavaGlob extends WeaponDamageType
abstract;

defaultproperties
{
DeathString="%o was ignited by %k's Lava Caster."
MaleSuicide="%o was terminated by his own lava."
FemaleSuicide="%o was terminated by her own lava."

WeaponClass=class'LavaCaster'

bDetonatesgoop=true
bDelayedDamage=true
}

That is the damtype lava glob code. Should I make it different the WeaponDamageType, I mean. Should it be extends damtypebioglob?

Donator
12th Mar 2004, 03:49 AM
That's totally up to you, but on a general sidenote, sticking to the superclasses like weapon, weaponfire etc. will generally cause you much less headache then subclassing from LinkGun, for example. That goes for weapons and firecode, it won't make much of a difference with a damtype though.

Parser
12th Mar 2004, 12:35 PM
Pff. How come it takes people months to knock out a weapon? ;)
If you find a free hour or two and really set your mind to it you can get it done virtually in one night.

ROFL 451
12th Mar 2004, 01:01 PM
Pff. How come it takes people months to knock out a weapon? ;)
If you find a free hour or two and really set your mind to it you can get it done virtually in one night.

Maybe for you, but this is my FIRST EVER attempt at making a weapon. I know how to model (average in this category) I know a small bit of code (terrible), how to skin a little (worst category) and I know how to animate (average).

So you see, I am below average on almost everything. Soldat, EvilDrWongPhD, and Donator help me, but most of the time it's just on the forums, and it takes hours to get my questions answered. If you have any messenger, tell me so I can contact you and ask for some help, please. I have a scant few days left, and I still need a bit of code, a better skin, and a small amount of animating.

Any person with an instant messenger that knows how to code, skin, and animate would you please contact me?

MSN Messenger: rofl_451
AOL Messenger: LazerClawz
Yahoo Messenger: rofl_451

Please, anyone PM me and log on to any messenger and search for my name. PM me with the messenger name so that I can log on to it. I will wait on AIM because I know both Wong and Soldat have that one.

TEH HELP ME!

Nereid
12th Mar 2004, 03:11 PM
Ha, I have 3 days left to model, skin, and animate my weapon. (I've only done code so far :)) This is my first real custom-model weapon for UT2003, so wish me luck!

ROFL, I wish I could help you there but I'm kind of stuck in the same sort of situation. :/

Postal
12th Mar 2004, 03:19 PM
Sounds, what about sounds, you gotta fit sounds in there too.

ROFL 451
12th Mar 2004, 03:39 PM

:clap: Im using Bio Rifle sounds ;) :lol:

Postal
12th Mar 2004, 05:33 PM
I had a real good idea for a competition, what about a weapon non-weapon pack. Stuff like grapneling hooks and shields.

Anywho, Im not going to do another pak, I just want to finish this one.

Donator
12th Mar 2004, 07:05 PM
Or tactical stuff for onslaught only, like anti-vehicle mines, tank barriers, barbed wire, laser fences, auto turrets, repair stations, autonome teleporters, proximity sensors, spy drones, EMP warheads to capture vehicles, satellite uplink (for player positions on the minimap), flare gun (attracting all active AVRILs), gravity nullifier (to get your goliath where you need it REALLY fast)...

soldat
12th Mar 2004, 07:22 PM
or new melee fighting modes... we should all do a different melee weapon, and add combos you can pull off.

finally finished my last problem set......................... painful. so its over, and time to work some more. does anyone know how much ut2k4 is retailing for? i don't have a dvd drive and can't buy that special 2 dvd pack.

Postal
12th Mar 2004, 07:26 PM
Seems like its 30 and 40 respectivly. I paid 40 for the special DVD verson. I fear I will get it before my new computer.

Anywho, Donator, Soldat, ROFL451 and who ever else. Im looking foward towards youre entries.

Nereid
13th Mar 2004, 12:05 AM
Anywho, Donator, Soldat, ROFL451 and who ever else. Im looking foward towards youre entries.
Don't forget me! :(

;)

I thought about that, I'm just using Flak Cannon and BioRifle sounds right now. :)

debucode
13th Mar 2004, 03:47 AM
Just sent a weapon to Postal. Interested in seeing what people think of it.

Postal
13th Mar 2004, 06:11 AM
Recieved, and thank you Debucode.

Donator
13th Mar 2004, 06:53 AM
Disruptor should be in your mail by now...
Well, it's a 1MB ZIP file (without the sources). ;) Alpha textures unfortunately don't allow full compression.

Ahem, how many people have been using the bio rifle model now?

debucode
13th Mar 2004, 02:04 PM
All the cool people use the bio rifle. Actually my weapon is the bio rifle - I just changed the behavior of the goo blobs. My blobs grow and spew out new blobs, and if you touch any of the stuff you will soon be doing the same.

I'm not sure if this is actually any fun, but it is definitely destructive.

ROFL 451
13th Mar 2004, 03:58 PM
All the cool people use the bio rifle. Actually my weapon is the bio rifle - I just changed the behavior of the goo blobs. My blobs grow and spew out new blobs, and if you touch any of the stuff you will soon be doing the same.

I'm not sure if this is actually any fun, but it is definitely destructive.

I'm using the Bio Rifle model for the moment until I can import my custom one. Hey Postal, Wong, and soldat, log on yo! I need help with TEH CODE!

soldat
14th Mar 2004, 11:15 AM
hey postal, monday evening, PST sound okay for submission?

i've added a whole slew of new features... :D now working on net code... and thinking about getting rid of akimbo mode, because of bone attachment problems :( (bone mirroring issues make the attachments look and move funny.

Postal
14th Mar 2004, 11:18 AM
Having some troubles chaing the Disruptors package name, so I havent tried it yet. So were up to 4 entries now.

Postal
14th Mar 2004, 03:07 PM
Allright its all working.

I have a favorite out of the ones sent one, 1 too spammy, ones not my type. The others nice, but ones just right. I think you guys are going to like this. As soon as I got all the entries in a single nice and neat package, I will have it up on the main page and post something here.

Less then 2 days left.

soldat
14th Mar 2004, 03:08 PM
(i'm assuming that's a yes for monday evening?)

Postal
14th Mar 2004, 03:17 PM
Yes

Nereid
14th Mar 2004, 03:35 PM
Ok I need urgent help with my weapon's netcode. Blobs of stuff don't stick to walls, and flames don't appear properly. If anyone can help me, talk to me on AIM (DemonThing3), ICQ (201211772), or MSN (arkeet@shaw.ca). TIA

Parser
14th Mar 2004, 04:09 PM
Allright its all working.

I have a favorite out of the ones sent one, 1 too spammy, ones not my type. The others nice, but ones just right. I think you guys are going to like this. As soon as I got all the entries in a single nice and neat package, I will have it up on the main page and post something here.

Less then 2 days left.

The spammy one'll be mine then? ;)

Nereid
14th Mar 2004, 04:31 PM
I managed to fix one problem, but I still have many left. If you aren't too busy with your own weapons, please help!

Postal
14th Mar 2004, 04:33 PM
Yup, I love the primary, but altfire seems too low damage to me, and pushes the target away from the next volley. I hit them, then boom, there like 15 feet away, and all my other shots just fly past where they were.

Nereid
14th Mar 2004, 09:36 PM
w00t! :D I finally solved the major problem with my weapon's netcode! It was pretty obvious, though. I just had to set the default RemoteRole of one of my classes (which is subclassed from xEmitter) from ROLE_None to ROLE_DumbProxy and it worked!!!

Me -> :D

Nereid
14th Mar 2004, 09:58 PM
Another bug fixed by changing RemoteRole from ROLE_DumbProxy to ROLE_SimulatedProxy and a couple of lines in the replication{} block! (Otherwise the flame effects would persist forever, instead of the intended 10 seconds.) Now it works almost as good as offline. I just need to fix one final bug regarding orientation of projectiles when landing on a surface.

Donator
15th Mar 2004, 05:12 AM
Feedback on the Disruptor would be appreciated, as it will be added to Arkon2004 later on as well, and I definitely want to improve it even more.

ROFL 451
15th Mar 2004, 10:17 AM
Feedback on the Disruptor would be appreciated, as it will be added to Arkon2004 later on as well, and I definitely want to improve it even more.

Well, from what i've played, I didn't find anymore bugs, you seem to have completely fixed them. I really like primary fire, is just AWESOME! :eek: And secondary is cool, too. The only gripe I have about secondary is the fact that the plasma flames move SO SLOWLY. If you are close enough, it is awesome, but get (compared to player) 15 feet away, and he has time to dodge. Against human opponents, I doubt I could nail a kill with secondary, unless I caught them camping or something. So, doesn't really need fixing, I just kinda bite my nails hoping he doesn't kill me before the flames reach him :)

Donator
15th Mar 2004, 12:04 PM
Actually, the xEmitter you see on secondary has nothing to do with how the damage is really applied, as the projectiles that do this are invisible. The xEmitter flames have air resistance, that's most obvious when you're running after a guy to torch him and the flamethrower appears like it's not even reaching an arm's length ahead of you, but the guy will already take whoppin' damage even when it seems he hasn't come into range yet. That's because the invisible projectiles have the same range regardless of your own moving direction, and also a much higher speed than the flames. Initially the flamethrower consisted of no less then four xEmitters and was a helluva lot more impressive, reaching almost twice as far as now, but when only two or three guys met head on with torchers ready the fps dropped into the lower single digits :rolleyes: I considerably toned down the FX and flame range then to keep it playable, trying to balance with the thing doing triple damage, so it should become quite a vehicle and node killer nevertheless.

Postal
15th Mar 2004, 04:32 PM
Range seems fine to me, but yah, you got these floaty clouds, not an impressive stream of fire. However, it does work well. I do love it, it my favorite of the ones sent it. I do hope I get a few more.

Nereid
15th Mar 2004, 07:05 PM
So, what time do you want these by?

soldat
15th Mar 2004, 10:30 PM
net code finally works... spent the last 19 hours (almost straight) doing it... and this is finals week too!

lol just polishing up some things atm.

postal, Postal0311@Boo.Net? also, where's your entry? ;)

soldat
16th Mar 2004, 03:12 AM
sent. sorry it's so big postal.... i just couldn't help it. but if you want i can shrink the textures again, it should drop the thing by 100 kb.

Postal
16th Mar 2004, 06:00 AM
Im giving away the money, I decided I shouldnt make an entry.

anyways, they should all be in by now, give or take a couple of hours.

ROFL 451
16th Mar 2004, 09:42 AM
Im giving away the money, I decided I shouldnt make an entry.

anyways, they should all be in by now, give or take a couple of hours.

My entry is submitted! Good luck to you all, and thanks guys for helping me learn about making weapons! :)

Nereid
16th Mar 2004, 10:48 AM
Did you get mine? The forums appeared to be offline when I sent it, so I had to use the Google cache to get the e-mail address.

Postal
16th Mar 2004, 01:02 PM
Getting all 3 killed my e-mail addy. So with a litlle hacking, and I got them.

Demon, I got an e-mail from you. But it apears to be the Colts source?

Postal
16th Mar 2004, 01:14 PM
Demon, n/m I got it fixed.

Postal
16th Mar 2004, 01:15 PM
Allright, this threads closed, standby for the post release thread.

Postal
16th Mar 2004, 05:33 PM
Allright, ROFL, I need you to send me youre custom textures too.
ASAP

For somereason the oil gun isnt working for me, Im looking in to it.
-Update
Working awsome, I love that thing!!!

Expect the WMPak1 released in less then 5 days.

All weapons are in and working fine cept for the Lavacaster, and Im making some tweeks to my mutator. Would it be allright if I changed some of youre priotity numbers?

ROFL 451
16th Mar 2004, 06:10 PM
Allright, ROFL, I need you to send me youre custom textures too.
ASAP

For somereason the oil gun isnt working for me, Im looking in to it.
-Update
Working awsome, I love that thing!!!

Expect the WMPak1 released in less then 5 days.

All weapons are in and working fine cept for the Lavacaster, and Im making some tweeks to my mutator. Would it be allright if I changed some of youre priotity numbers?
Sure. But I included the textures in the .zip file, or so I thought. . .and what is the oil gun? What's wrong with the LavaCaster?
Chage away, anything to make it work ;)

Postal
16th Mar 2004, 06:54 PM
The OilGun is DemonThing's entry. Main thing I wanna change is slot number, I got like 3 weapons that use slot 3.

RoFL, I need those bmp files.

Postal
16th Mar 2004, 07:50 PM
Allright all the weapons are in and working.

Just trying to make a good mute.

Now do we need an UMod? Anyone want to help make the readme pritty?

Nereid
16th Mar 2004, 10:56 PM
Anyone want to help make the readme pritty?
Let's have a readme mini-contest! :p

Postal
17th Mar 2004, 12:34 PM
Winner gets a 2000 dollars!

Or perhaps a congratulatory e-mail, or not even that.

Demon, mind if I change the Oilguns InventoryGroup? Im thinking 6.

debucode
17th Mar 2004, 06:59 PM
Winner gets a kick in the pants.

What are the names of all the weapons?

Or can we make up new nonexistent weapons?

Nereid
17th Mar 2004, 07:13 PM
Demon, mind if I change the Oilguns InventoryGroup? Im thinking 6.
Sure, go ahead - I don't really care.

Postal
17th Mar 2004, 07:33 PM
Done

soldat
18th Mar 2004, 04:42 PM
done?

just for fun, we should submit to MSU phase 3... ^.^

Postal
18th Mar 2004, 07:05 PM
Done as in the oilgun moved to slot 6
Everyones submissions are in the pak, and its working, but I want to improve the WMP mute and get the readme improved.

Postal
19th Mar 2004, 03:10 PM
Almost ready.

For some unknown reason, the credits mute doesnt want to work.

soldat
19th Mar 2004, 03:25 PM
is something else modifying the playerreplicationinfo.tag property?

or maybe another mutator's modifyplayer isn't calling NextMutator

Postal
19th Mar 2004, 03:46 PM
Nope.

soldat
19th Mar 2004, 06:44 PM
maybe integrate it into your wmp mute... and see if it works.

try debugging by adding some lines to some weapon:

exec function test()
{
instigator.clientmessage(string(instigator.controller.playerreplicationinfo.tag));
}

see what you get out. :)

Postal
20th Mar 2004, 09:21 AM
Allright, turns out I was using WColt insted of AKColt.

The pak should be out tonight.