Any CCNAs?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
I'm taking my CCNA exam tommorrow - part of a carreer change in my part away from coding into network administration and security. I've read the Cisco Press books and have been hitting the supplied practice exams pretty hard... Anyone got any last minute tips?

Matthew

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
how about, telling people what ccna means

apart from that i say write as much as you can fit on your arms

edit: worked with my gcse's and a levels

Last edited:

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
CCNA = Cisco Certified Network Associate, the entry-level Cisco certification. More info from Cisco. Covers general networking, OSI models, TCP/IP foundations, basic Cisco IOS stuff... It's a pre-req to the CCNP, Cisco Certified Network Professional, which is my ultimate goal.

Matthew

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Go for CCIE :D. The test for that is ridiculously hard. Basically, you have 8 hours to setup a certain configuration, and then some guys some in overnight and mess it up as much as possible. You then have 8 more hours the next day to fix everything.

Anyway, make sure you study very thoroughly. The test adjusts its material to match your weaknesses (i.e. if you miss a question on IPX, you'll get a bunch more on IPX) so you can't afford to have a weak link.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
Just out of interest, why are you moving away from programming into networking? Is that the way the jobs market is going over there?

The reason I ask is that I do both in college, but was leaning toward the programming side in terms of focus. I do the CCNA as part of my course this year though.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Good feedback, guys!

FeelTheUniverseXXX: So do you have any Cisco certs? I took week long CCNA bootcamp a couple weeks ago and the instructor told us all about the CCIE test. Very demanding. And something like $1500 to take - and if you don't pass, too bad. Heh.

[EDIT] Also - IPX has been completely removed from the CCNA 2.0 test... Seeing as how noone uses it anymore... ;) [/EDIT]

MetalMickey: I'm not liking the future of programming positions. Yes, there will always be jobs for talented programmers. But right now there is a major shift with large consulting firms. In order to help the bottom line, they're laying off expensive US employees and out-sourcing the work to guys in India/Pakistan/Afghanistan/etc. They do the same work, but for pennies on the dollar, and since they're "outside contractors" the companies don't have to provide benefits or anything for them.

I've been burned out on coding for a while now, and after seeing a few friends get canned for this very reason, I've decided to be pro-active. That, and networking stuff has always been a hobby of mine, now I'll be getting paid to do it.

A good friend has a nice job at a network security consulting firm. With a CCNP and my existing clearances, I'll be able to get a nice, stable job with him. Can't outsource government security work! NOFORN and all that...

Matthew

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I don't. I went through the Cisco Academy and my instructor thought of me as a top student, but I never got around to taking the test because I wanted to wait for the new version to come out, and now that it's out, I'm too busy to study up and take it. Maybe I'll look into it over the summer...

I was hoping they'd dump IPX. God, I hate IPX. :D

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
MetalMickey: I'm not liking the future of programming positions. Yes, there will always be jobs for talented programmers. But right now there is a major shift with large consulting firm

Yea a mate of mine when to a lecture held by several big wigs in the industry (he's in soton uni - huge reputation in the comp industry therefore he gets great opertunitys) and basically the news on the job front was if you do anything like comp sci - good luck getting a job as they are all in places like india ect. The only good job prospects are in things like networking and software eng. Take a guess what degree I'm heading for, yes thats right comp sci .... great think I might take the CISCO exam during summer or one of the M$ ones. Either that or start a buisness fixing and making PCs
-How.