Mod/Mutator Ideas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
Just wondering some of your thoughts about possible mod/mutator ideas for XMP to either make the current games better, or turn it into a whole different experience.

The only major one I can think of is a mod that allows demo recording. I know USAAR33 made the demo manager for UT that required a whole new recording engine so it may be possible, albeit difficult.

The other idea I had was an excessive overkill type mod for XMP. Basically, each class will have a weapon that will allow projectile jumping. The gunner would have his concussion grenades, the tech could use maybe alt assault rifle shot at the gound for a skipping type effect (similar to the alt ripper in UT EO if you have played it). There would be no self-damage, your health and shields would slowly regenerate allow with ammo so there would be no need for the health/sheild/ammo packs. In their place, some sort of translocator could be an option so people can easily chase down weapon jumping artifact carriers. The damage for each weapon would be scaled up and additional effects like exlpoding sniper/pistol/assault bullets, shotgun primary boucing off walls (like UT flak) etc. That is just a rough idea, the specific changes would have to be tested for overall playability and balance. Maybe a damage amp for everyone every five minutes. That's all I can think of atm, the specifics would have to be play tested for overall balance.

If anyone is talented in UScript feel free to use any of these ideas in this thread. Anybody else have any ideas for mods or mutators???

knightthaler

Jan 16, 2004
I think it would be cool to have some destructable items in the game that would regenerate after a certain amount of time. For example the smaller recharge bunkers or even some doors. How cool would it be to be able to roll up in a goliath and blow the front door off the enemy base instead of hacking it. Like I mentioned it would have to be temporary and recharge after a short time. Just a thought.

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
Thats a pretty good idea knight...

Something i thought of a time ago: you all know the carnival turrets in freefall right? They can move up and down the pole.. What if you made turrets with wheels that are completely mobile.. like sort of drones, because then you can get to the enemy in stead of the enemy having to come to you.. (and you having to wait :))

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Ideas for seperate small mutators...

1) Destroyable generators that auto repair after some minutes -- deny energy instead of taking it.

2) Capping arti costs 100 energy. or more.

3) Double ammo clip capacity for all weapons in the game.

4) A Ranger deployable that could be used on defense, that compliments the other deployables.

5) 2X the cruising speed of the tank.

6) Make laser trips check vs team color before exploding.

7) Alt fire deploy modes for all deployables, but what functions I don't know.

8) A mutator that on map load, swaps the positions of all neutral team deploypoints and neutral team gens. --> Basically this would switch up the number of gens and tactical flow of maps without needing to resave them as a different version. Would probably need to use a shrunk down size for the substitute deploy point geo though.

In conclusion what the guy asked for was some loose ideas for mutators, and here are a few -- you don't like it? Come up with better substitutes instead of just dissing anonomously.

Lates,
Demo

Astmatik

ONE DAY \o/
Jan 9, 2004
Poland
a Mutator that allows Techs to fix up burning vehicles.
First time I was playng XMP i was sure that you can do that and while trying to fix a raptor i got dusted :lol:

Last edited:

Bloodsplat

I'm still here?
Jan 21, 2004
Hmmm destroyable generators that would need to be repaired at a slower rate and must be rehacked. Making the tech's job a bit more harder.

A siege game were there isn't any artifacts to worry about. One team is on defense all the time protecting key capture points that once hacked can't go back to the defense. This will force players to fallback and put up stronger defenses. Siege points would take longer to hack by a tech and increasingly longer to hack by rangers/gunners.

Duel Mod. yarg

A good dash of Co op style game where it dumps down hordes of U2 enemies such as the araknids or dropping down about 3 enemy merc squads to fight against your team with increasingly difficulty. Freefall wouldn't be a great map for such a thing.

knightthaler

Jan 16, 2004
I like the siege game idea

I think it would also cool to be able pick up a boost from killed enemies, either by running over them or having to stop and hack/use them. Getting some life from rangers, weapon supplies from gunners and sheild energy from techs. of course it would have to be a one time thing from each downed enemy and only if the enemy is really dead and not waiting to be revived.

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
I liked the 1 team only idea... That you get a score based on Enemy Waves / No of players

1) Destroyable generators that auto repair after some minutes -- deny energy instead of taking it.

2) Capping arti costs 100 energy. or more.

3) Double ammo clip capacity for all weapons in the game.

4) A Ranger deployable that could be used on defense, that compliments the other deployables.

5) 2X the cruising speed of the tank.

6) Make laser trips check vs team color before exploding.

7) Alt fire deploy modes for all deployables, but what functions I don't know.

8) A mutator that on map load, swaps the positions of all neutral team deploypoints and neutral team gens. --> Basically this would switch up the number of gens and tactical flow of maps without needing to resave them as a different version. Would probably need to use a shrunk down size for the substitute deploy point geo though.

1 is a pretty good idea, then they should burn for a LONG time before someone can rebuild and re-hack them..
2 That was already discussed on another topic.. isnt a really good idea.. Example: when you have 790 energy.. and all the artifacts.. You cant win.. Even though you managed to defend you artifact carriers and get nuff generators to get your nrg going up
3 .... WHY?.. reloading is so much more tactical.. You have to get some cover for reloading, and if your enemy forgets to reload b4 battle.. he'll have to do it before you, and you have some time to shoot him
4.. Yeah i agree.. Ranger dont have fun-deployables.. but they DO have an extra weapon.. (then you would have to give techs/gunners another weapon: PopGun anyone?)
5.. Then it would be faster then a raptor (nearly) tank could be a líttle faster then it is.. but i think its meant to go slower than ranger when the ranger is sprinting..
6.. Then you would have to do the same with mines.. and EVERYTHING would be spammed with lasertripmines.. now you have to watch out with that because you could blow up your m8s
7 ..good idea
8: nice idea, but it would totally screw up some maps.. (sirrocco for example.. you woudl have 2 deploypoints on your side...)

I thought of techs repairing vehicles too.. i wonder why that isnt already in the game..

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
after seeing that concept art, they had a concept for a drop shop. While I would hate such a thing player controlled, I think it would be usefull as a select deploy place but with a massive handy cap.

4.. Yeah i agree.. Ranger dont have fun-deployables.. but they DO have an extra weapon.. (then you would have to give techs/gunners another weapon: PopGun anyone?)

If you were to do it, give the ranger the proximity sensor. Its not something that frags, and fits into his role. by placing proximit sensors at the gens, and deploys it will alert you that somebody is there, and you can snipe them. Fits in perfectly, would actualy be incredibly powerfull, and doesn't give him even more killing stuff than he has but compliments his curret weapons.

I would give the tech the takara (floating balls), as they would help cover him from the other classes weapons while hacking (right now he is a sitting duck) the takara would give him some semblance of defense for a brief bit, but not so much that when he fights with it he would be over bearing.

As for the gunner. Well there is only 1 gun left that fits him well, the drak laser. Primary is bassicaly a souped up rocket launcher with no slash damage. Which is a fair trade off making it crap against people, but super lethal against turrets and vehicles. Altfire is really a souped up flame thrower but it takes a while to get the flame effect and runs out of amo fast as hell.

However I think that the above is the only way to give everybody something that fits thier role and doesnt ubalance things.

Asio

The Alpha and the Omega
Jan 20, 2004
I woudn't mind the ranger having a alt fire for the snipergun. Something like the auto lock with the rocket.U have to aim for a few second and loose time before u can shoot again with the gun (even more as u have to wait between regular shots) A slightly guided exploding bomb (may or not be able to control the time it explodes) u can shoot a player with. A decent hit would pretty much kill it or is could hook itself up to tank depoyable... and explode. Changing the weapon would disable it. The gun should be hard to get a hit with or be albe to explode in midair.

Imagine shooting over the grond a shoulder height and richt before a player walks buy is would trow it back doing quite some damage yet not killing as it wasnt a direct hit. Hitting a raptor or tank would cause is to roll over on its side creating a nice battlefield ;)
By no mean do I want this to be slow like the pulse gun yet faster then a rocket so u really hav to get the hang of timing it right

In time this could be a really usefull gun yet hard to master and good for defend of course

I guess its a crossing between the alt of the machine gun and rocketgun...
U could even make an combo of shooting in the big pulse of the pulse gun to increase its power

Think some more u should be a little faster then the raptor as that is a vehicle artifacts capper use alot. A good driver should be albe to dodge it more or less. Or even be albe to shoot it down with the gun. That would give a raptor a good advantage.

I can imagine pll saying it would make the sniper to powerfull...
Let the server set the damage and set the power is has to push/trow objets away.

Last edited:

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
I want a DeathMatch Raptor Arena.

You and your teammate would spawn in the Raptor, and you would just drive around duking it out w/ other Raptors. Frag a Raptor, get one point. First team to get to 20 frag wins. (or any set amount, really)

Now, fragging a Raptor gets 1 point... But if you shoot a Raptor out of the air, you get 2 points. Frag a Raptor while YOU'RE in the air, 3 points. :D

A map like Garden would be perfect. It has lots of room and lots of jumps and hills to do stunts. There should also be random health pickups. Not too many, but enough to keep your Raptor from blowing up if you're hella low.

What do you guys think?

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
What is a drop shop?

Drakk laser is a good idea.. but then the gunner would have 3 heavy weapons...

And why not give everyone the takara.. That would put some nice new tactical aspects in the game (activating b4 going into node chamber for example)

Peter Carlson

XMP Programmer
Sep 4, 2003
One night during XMP's development we set the health of the raptors up to 999999 and played tag. It was fun as hell.
So for a mod, RaptorTag. Everyone spawns in a raptor. One person is "it", you can tell because their raptor is on fire. Everyone else tries to catch the "it" person (ram their raptor with yours). If you're "it" and you get caught, the person who caught you becomes "it" (and their raptor is now the one that's on fire). At the end of the game, the person who was "it" the longest wins.

leth

Jan 23, 2004
one word - jetpacks

i was a big-time player of tribes 1 - especially the shifter mod - and am REALLY enjoying xmp because it shares so many similarities with tribes.

what about adding jetpacks, instead of just the minor jump jets that are in the game now?

started thinking more about this because of the "catapults" suggestion -- tribes shifter had launch pads that pushed you a bit vertical and way lateral... very effective at closing large distances. they were deployable and heavier armors went shorter distances, light armours much further!

of course, landing could hurt quite a bit, that's why they may need something like jetpacks to soften the landing

jm2c

/leth

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
How about a high damage area-effect weapon with one ammo that any player can collect from their team's arti node when energy is above 1150, but collecting it costs 350 energy.

"Redeemer online." or "Tank buster online."

Raises the importance of the energy war and provides a big energy sieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.