Farcry demo...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Seen it ... played it. :)

Graphics are good ... AI is neat if a little weak at times, but the biggest offender has to be the moron that decided a checkpoint-save-system would be good.

ie :
you get an entire island to explore ... but if you don't follow the preset-route you can't save.
Damn ... the available space is what could have made this game a lot of fun and different from the rest of the genre.

btw :
There are no iron sights, but there is a 'breathing-system' (like Inf, but it needs a separate key) and an 'aimed mode' (as in Chrome).

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Played it as well. It looks good and runs well. It autodetects your config and adjust everything for you. But the game is not that good. The controls feel a bit weird. There is a delay when moving and sometimes jittering when running into decorations. It feel like you're playing online!
The enemies are ok, they often circles you, but they can be really stupid at times. It looks like they can't run down a stairway and shoot at the same time, which makes them very easy targets. The guns are not very interesting, there is an useless Desert Eagle, an incredible underpowered P90, a M4, a suppressed MP5, a Sniper rifle and a rocket launcher (there may be more, but i've only found that). The MP5 is really deadly(although it uses the same rounds as the P90 in game ;)). The sniper rifle is nice because it's not really steady, making it hard to snipe (for me at least). The damages are not realistic, it takes many bullets to put someone down.

The check point system is weird but not that annoying. The Island is not as open as you'd think. You can't go everywhere like in OFP, instead there are clear routes and paths. So you always end up on a check point.

All in all it's not a bad game, but if you remove the l33t 3D engine, there's not much left.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
The engine is really impressive, better than ut200x anyways. I've see the demo movie and it doesnt look that interesting as a game.
Whats OFP?

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
quake 1 = OFP :D

OFP is one of thos games where graphics got second place, but history, concept and playability are some of the best. It plays well as per the (P600+, geforce256, 128sdr).

Just my '2cents' on OFP...

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I wish I could tell you.....but I can't seem to get the phukking thing to work. Can't move right, real laggy. Adjusted nearly every setting I can find, but I haven't found the magical key yet. :lol:

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Haven't checked out the demo yet but a few days back I got a glimse at the leaked beta. Graphics do look great and the atmopshere of the islands I saw where pretty convinsing. I loved the vehicle and the "physics" of it. Shooting, well, without ironsights and freeaim, it is crap. I can forsee a great future for this game if the netcode is above the average. Could be a great engine to mod on althou I have no idea how easy and extensive that can be.
Probably something I'll get once it is out nevertheless.

//Kee

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
One of the preview-videos made it look like editing could be done while the game was running ...
Though that might put the map-editing close to UnrealEd as far as ease of use is concerned it says nothing about the scripts etc. that they can use.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Anyone get a bug where the screen colors change, and you get about 1 fps ever like 5 seconds? Im using the omega drivers so that may be it...

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
pretty cool, I'm suprised that it'll run well on my kinda crappy machine. The biggest thing I get annoyed with is the way the main character talks. It reminds me of keanu reeves, extremely overacted.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
I tried running it with the normal ATI drivers. Same ****. Wow so far I'm really impressed. :rolleyes: Has ANYONE here with an ATI card been able to run it?

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I've had 0 problems running the game with my 9800 XT & Cat 4.1-series drivers.
Just make sure you're using at least Catalyst 3.9 ...

btw :
Keep in mind that this yet another of the nVidia-sponsored games ... which means that non-nVidia hardware probably has to suffer during beta-testing.