PDA

View Full Version : Review: Bombing Spree 1.1

ModSquad NewsPoster
21st Jan 2004, 01:09 PM
[ Transcript of review for Bombing Spree 1.1 (http://modsquad.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=186) | Posted by Shuri on 2004-01-21 | Score: 9 ]
Note: This review is a follow-up of the earlier one found <a href="http://modsquad.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=177">here</a>. Look there for more info if you are new to the gametype.

The last time I tried this gametype, back in beta status, I found it to be a worthy successor to Bombing Run. It added a new dimension to gameplay, but the bots let it down. This latest version corrects faults in the previous one, and also adds new features.

For one thing, the main disappointment in the beta has been mostly fixed - bot AI. They now work admirably with multiple balls in play at the same time. This really enhances the gameplay - it is much faster-paced with teams split fighting over more than one ball, and is also harder to score, as bots don't just chase after a single ball.

One new feature is that the bounciness of the ball can now be changed, from a scale of 0.10 to 1.00 (0.40 being the default value). This can really change gameplay. At 1.00 bounciness, the ball never stops bouncing - not fun in my opinion, but definately humorous. This feature really shines when you set it to either a low value like 0.10, or a medium/high value like 0.70. At low values, the ball doesn't bounce much. This can be good, as it reduces people getting the ball from lucky bounces of it - now, you have to run over to where it landed, as it doesn't bounce from there. At high values, you can do more tricks with the ball - bouncing at around corners, or over objects for example. The bounciness value really does change the dynamic of the gameplay.

The other major feature is team balls. If this is enabled, half of the balls in play are blue, and half red (if there are 3 balls, one is a regular ball). Team coloured balls can only be picked up by a member of that team, and a new round starts once a team has scored with all of their balls. This feature is very fun, much more so than it sounds. My personal favourite style of playing now is playing with 2 balls, and team balls on. Whenever a team scores, the balls reset, and a new round starts, like regular Bombing Run - but now you have to worry more about having both a strong attack and defence. When an enemy ball has been dropped, you can shoot it to destroy it and make it respawn. This uses a shock combo effect, and I'm not sure that fits.

This gametype definately is superior to Bombing Run, but I can't help feeling it needs more features - random number of balls, an option to make you not respawn after a round is over, etc - just some new things to enhance it even more. That said, even if nothing new gets added, it is still a very accomplished gametype, that includes the type of features you might have expected Epic to include themselves.

-Shuriken

Raden
24th Jan 2004, 08:07 PM
My biggest gripe was fixed. Bot support. And like I said, I'd download it once it was fixed. So, away we go! :D

Uncommon
25th Mar 2004, 11:34 AM
Version 2.0 is out. Ported to UT2004, fine control over ball placement, respawning every round is optional, and so on.