Enter: Nintendo Portable...dual screen?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/157413_nintendo21.html

Nintendo Co., which has been alluding for months to a secret video-game product in the works, last night identified it as a new hand-held device with two separate screens for game-playing.

The company said the portable game system, code-named the Nintendo DS, will launch worldwide by the end of the year. The company said it considers the device an entirely new product, not a successor to the Nintendo GameCube console or the hand-held Nintendo GameBoy Advance.

Nintendo doesn't think the Nintendo DS will take market share from either of those existing devices, said Perrin Kaplan, vice president of marketing for Redmond-based Nintendo of America. The GameBoy Advance currently dominates the hand-held video-game market.

"There seems to be an insatiable appetite for portable play," Kaplan said, citing steady growth in that portion of the market.

Nintendo did not release an image of the new product, but it said that the dual screens will let a user view games from two different perspectives, such as an overview map and a close-up of a battle. In a news release, Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., said the Nintendo DS is "based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices."

Kaplan said software developers will receive kits that will let them create games to take advantage of the two-screen setup.

The screens on the Nintendo DS will be 3 inches each, about the size of an existing GameBoy screen, the company said. Nintendo promised more details at the E3 game convention in May.

Nintendo has said it is also working on successors to the GameBoy Advance and the GameCube, which competes with Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox and Sony's PlayStation 2.

. . .

What!?

Excuse me, but what the hell is this? A new portable, from nintendo, that is designed to be a standalone product from the Gameboy? Dual screens? Something is juuust not quite adding up. I'm as big of a fan of nintendo as the next gamer, but this is just wierd. I'm very, very curious as to the kinds of games that get developed for this...platform will be, and how the support for the Gameboy will fare in the wake of this new system. Assuming, of course, that this new system doesn't turn out to be a total piece.

Nintendo, you better have something up your sleve with this...

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
of course they have something up their sleave, the desire to make more money... The gameboy advance has been out how long? Its about time for them to release something new in that department. With the great success the GBA encountered they'd be stupid not to release something that is sure to win over GBA fans in an instant, and if its backwards compatible then, they'd really be doing themselves a favor.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I've read about that keg. And the more I find out about it the better it gets. However I am not interested in a portable so it's not anything for me.

The posibilities though... think about it. Dual screen, one screen showing a map and the other your player just to name one. It could be very cool for RPG's too, one showing your team the other the enemy team.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
If this is Nintendo's answer to the PSP, they're gonna get rolled. While it does have some interesting possibilities... Come on. How is a dual screen GBA gonna compete with a portable almost-PS2?

Matthew

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
But don't forget, Better Gameplay + Better Graphics > Better Gameplay. But I don't think Nintendo doesn't realize that either. ;) Probably why they aren't saying much about system specs right now. Wait til Sony has something way more official and it's nearly out, and then somehow boost up your own specs to just a hair above the competitors :)

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
It has dual cpu's and a very good ati chipset. It has 128 mb ram where the PSP has 32mb ram (AFAIK).

I doubt it will be underpowered. And I'm thinking how cool it woud be in alot of places.

At the same time though it could be a piece of crap. But I think this thing is going to be pretty nifty.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
I didn't realize it was that powerful... I didn't read too closely, I was just ASSuming that it was a 2 screen GBA. Heh. Learned that lesson again. I guess we'll get a better idea of what Nintendo has in store for us when they release more details.

Matthew