PDA

View Full Version : svideo vs component for 'normal' tv

allka
21st Jan 2004, 02:46 AM
I heard the difference between an svideo and component cable for a normal tv (which I assume would describe my 27' flatscreen, since its not a rear projection or plasma or anything) is not noticeable unless you concentrate intently between two exact same tvs, dvd movies, players, and 1 svideo cable connecting one set and 1 component cable connecting the other.

I dont see why this would apply for only higher end tvs, as I understand a component video connection consists of a cable with 5 'mini cables' coming from it, 3 are used for red green and blue, seperately, and 2 are used for the left and right audio channel seperately. svideo is only one cable that seperates only the black & white signal from the color signal (not distinguishing between red blue and green spectrums), and has 2 more pins for the left and right audio channel. Composite video consists of a cable that has 3 'mini cables' from the end of it which 1 'mini cable' piles both color and black and white onto the video portion, and 2 'mini cables' each handle the left and right speaker seperately.

Also from what I understand component video is best, and I hear you'll only notice a difference using it on huge rear projections and the like...well if 3 colors are seperated instead of them all packed on one cable like with svideo, shouldnt that make for just as much better color on a 96'' rear projection as my 27'' flatscreen?

Has anyone here upgraded to a better video connection and regreted it, or notice a very neglible difference? What is the opinion for monster cables, worth the price...worth it for only rear projection 52'' +, or not worth it at all (since from my understanding, the advantage of monster cables over normal cables is the fact it has 24k gold connectors and double helix design blah blah...so that means less interference...but what if you have no interference in the first place?

alien8
21st Jan 2004, 03:19 AM
OK, here goes.

If you can afford the component video cables, get 'em. The difference is noticeable b/w component and s-video cables, albeit not nearly as noticeable as the difference b/w old composite (RCA) and s-video is.

The reason that component cables offer such a huge increase in quality from s-video on larger sets is the fact that the same lines of resolution are being shown across the screen on each set. For example, let's look at interlaced NTSC DVD, which is 480i resolution. As you've noticed, this looks awesome on your 27" CRT flatscreen! Now, on the larger sets, that same 480i resolution is being stretched across a much larger surface, so flaws in video become much more apparent. In this case, you'd definitely want to go with the component cables, as it will provide the cleanest connection b/w two devices (DVI notwithstanding, but that's a whole different ballgame), and offer up the least amount of signal degradation.

As for interference? You've got it. The second you turn on your TV set or your DVD player, or your home theatre equipment, electrical interference is generated. Hell, even AC power lines in your wall will create interference, so a good set of shielded cables is a good idea!

Now, as for Monster Cable. Yeah, it's good. Yeah, it does exactly what the packaging and website says it does. Yeah, it looks really cool. Yeah, it has a 100% mark-up. The only reason I've got my system wired with Monster is b/c, as a retailer, I get it below cost. If I didn't.. well, I dunno what I woulda bought. Check out reputable electronics stores in your area, and by reputable, I don't mean places like Best Buy or Circuit City or Future Shop. Try to find a smaller, privately owned business that has a salesman you can trust, who knows what they're talking about. Tell them the exact system that you have (no embellishing!) and tell them you are ready to spend money on a good set of cabling, but would rather not pay for the Monster name. See what they've got!

Anyways, that's my spiel, heh. Hopefully that was of some help.