Chaingun - question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
I am modelling a chaingun at the moment. But, I'm not good at modelling hands and the model I am using (GI Joe Chaingun, comes with the big helicopter) has a grip on the top, like in this screenshot (not modelling this one, best pic I could find)

SS%20demo%20shot0006.JPG

So, what should I do? Just make it so its resting in the "down" position, leaning on the barrels (would mean I don't have to model hands) or the "up" position (have to model a hand holding it. Thanks for the help

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
AUGH! I just created the Ammo container, cut out sections using a Boolean, and positioned it almost perfectly. Exept for one part. I can't move it up or down! I can move it left and right with the "moving" tool, but I can't move it up into the desired position! Heeeelllppppp!

Edit: Whew! After rebooting 3ds Studio Max 6, it all worked fine. :flak:

Last edited:

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Try with out the hand, Personaly I like the look of the old 1890's gattlings. A chaingun is a gun whos action is driven with a chain. Thanks to good old Wolf3d did the term Chaingun get mistaken for Gattling Gun or Vulcan Cannon.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
Id say have it up with no hand.

Here is my progress so far (I have spent a few days on this baby):

Attachments

• Chaingun.JPG
    Chaingun.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ChaingunStart.JPG
    ChaingunStart.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 16

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Update on chaingun:

Replaces = Minigun (minigun has a stupid model)
Starting Ammo: 75
Total Ammo Capacity: 375
Ammo in Ammo pickup: 75
Primary Fire: Spits alot of lead in a little time, sacrifices accuracy for damage and quantity of shells per second
Secondary Fire: Slower ROF, but is more accurate over distances. Sacrifices quantity of shells per second and damage for accuracy.

ROF=
Primary: 2/3 times faster than minigun primary. [Minigun Primary + (2/3)]
Secondary: Minigun secondary speed.

Damage per shell: 1/2 more damage than minigun's shell [Minigun shell damage + (1/2)]

EvilDrWong said:
nice :D though for a first person view you should probably remove the 'insides' of the tubes making the barrels

$h**. How do I fix this. Is it a big problem?

P.S.
How do I check how many poly's my gun has?

Last edited:

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Polygon counter is located in the tools tab. Couldnt tell you the hotkey for it, since ive got mine all jacked up, but there is a hotkey.
its not a big problem at all actually :p Just a piece of advice. No need to have the polies there if they arent ever going to be seen :) Plus once you drop all of them that gives you a bit more to play with for detail and whatnot.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
EvilDrWong said:
Polygon counter is located in the tools tab. Couldnt tell you the hotkey for it, since ive got mine all jacked up, but there is a hotkey.
its not a big problem at all actually :p Just a piece of advice. No need to have the polies there if they arent ever going to be seen :) Plus once you drop all of them that gives you a bit more to play with for detail and whatnot.

So how do I fix it? Create a cylinder slightly larger than the opening, and fit it inside? P.S. I found the hotkey. it's 7. BUT! It tells me face numbers. Eg how many faces this sphere has. But it won't tell me TOTAL what my polygon count is. . :mad:

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
um.. no, you delete the faces that wont ever be seen...
use the tools tab and click the Polygon Counter button, itll tell you for the currently selected object and for the entire scene.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
EvilDrWong said:
um.. no, you delete the faces that wont ever be seen...
use the tools tab and click the Polygon Counter button, itll tell you for the currently selected object and for the entire scene.

Ok. What's the average poly count for a UT2003 weapon? Oh yes, and with your help I created the bullets for my chaingun. :) Progress is going well, the bullets are positioned in mid-air so far, just have to link them together! :)

Updated screenshot! Heh heh! ph34r t3h ch41]\[gU]\[!

Attachments

• ChaingunWithBullets.JPG
    ChaingunWithBullets.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 17

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Smoke39 said:
Bullets = yum!

A bit too metallic for my tastes

Wong; how do I delete certain faces (inside the barrels) without deleting the whole model? Thanks.

Last edited:

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
Do you not like the sweet taste of lead?
Lol!

Ok, new update:
Linked the bullets together. Ok, dillemma once again. Refer to screen one. This will be your FOV. Screen two contains (in red) things I will add. Handle and grip above barrels. I figured out, I MOST LIKELY have this. Refer to screen three and four for explanation. Chaingun must weigh at least 60 lbs.

Screen Three:
Soldier is well pleased with his chaingun, and is owning in battle. Weight is evenly distributed.

Screen Four:
Soldier is well pleased with his chaingun, and is. . .stuggling to support its weight? To compensate for weight, soldier MUST put his hand and arm UNDERNEATH the chaingun. After prolonged firing, chaingun becomes HOT! and you are unable to leave your arm supporting it.

So, to evenly distribute weight, you must have a holding handle near barrels. If I just have a chaingun hovering in midair, it wont be as cool as a well-supported chaingun. Do you think I should try to model hands or should I just make it float.

Attachments

• FOV.JPG
    FOV.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Chaingun Handle.JPG
    Chaingun Handle.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ChaingunRocks.JPG
    ChaingunRocks.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 18
  • ChaingunHeavy.JPG
    ChaingunHeavy.JPG