Joint Operations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
So... what with this being a forum for a realism game how comes everybody isn't going about Joint Operations and how it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread?

http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/jointoperationstyphoonrising.phtml
http://www.gamershell.com/hellzone_Tactical_Joint_Operations.shtml

Basically it's a continuation of their Delta Force series only bigger (64 players+) and with vehicles (jeeps, trucks, Helos, attack boats and hovercraft).

As you may or may not know BHD was built on their Comanche 4 engine and they have exploited this by including the potential for 64km2 maps (set around the Phillipines) as well as pilotable vehicles of every description.

From the sounds of things it's going to be jungle warfare-tastic with lots of thick lush vegetation and trees. From the screenshots on display so far tooling about on rivers and lakes in boats is going to be a big part of the gameplay.

I think what with 64 players plus (I assume Nova themselves will be running stupidly huge servers with 100 odd players on) this is going to be insane amounts of fun. That kind of scope could put paid to a lot of realism issues that arise from a game being 22 blokes in a box.

I think this is going to be the best thing since baked beans and certainly deserving of some of our time until Inf2004 comes out in 2007. :D

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Delta_Port_tif_jpgcopy.jpg

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
I was to understand that everywhere around the world, a cd with secret databases or codes needed capturing. There are other means for military operations? :D

No, i kid, this game looks pretty sweet, but i doubt they will find suitable support for offline play that won't suck.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
And I doubt it will be realism oriented. Remeber how in the BHD game you could take an M14, an M4, a pistol, several grenades... I hope to ****ing god its like OFP in terms of realism.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
sliced bread ? I will never buy a bread already sliced. I want to cut it myself. With my long sharp bread knife.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Actually, I've been upgrading a little bit for the past few years (PC is ultimately 4 years old, though)... Currently has AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, and 512mb RAM. Decent enough system - runs INF very well and AA well enough to play with some graphical options enable at a decent resolution. Does everything else I need (web surfing, word processing, etc) well beyond my needs.

I'm just sick of having to upgrade a couple times a year to play the newest games. I guess as I get older (and have more responsibilities other than gaming :lol: ), spending a couple hundred dollars every few months to stay "current" no longer appeals to me.

That's why I'm falling deeper in love with consoles. You buy the hardware up-front and never have to worry about it going out of date. And completely opposite from PCs, software keeps getting better looking and faster as the console ages - because developers actually look to improve thier code, rather than just relying on the ever escalating level of hardware to enable their new stuff.

I can't wait for Full Spectrum Warrior either - on the XBox, of course.

Matthew

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
That's what you get if you don't upgrade for five years.
I bought my PC two years ago. I didnt upgrade because I hadnt the funds. Id like to get a new CPU. But wait, a new CPU with my old mobo isnt of any real benefit because it will bottleneck. So Ill need a new mobo. Ill also need to repace my ram, to get a real benefit from an upgrade. But my old ram will slow the system down, so its not just a case of buying more, ill have to replace what I have. A new Graphics card is out of the question, the prices for one of these are equivalent to the price of a console. So Ill have to get a budget card, which kind of defeats the purpose of upgrading.

Ill need to spend hundreds of euro that i dont really have, in order to just a have a crappy system that will be out of date again in 6 months. While id love to have your a disposable income that I could just throw away on stuff I dont actually need, unfortunately I need to spend it on such trivialities as food, clothing, heating and electricity.

If you are looking for the reason why console sales are mushrooming, there it is right there. Next gen consoles, with proper networking support and a keyboard and mouse as standard will blow PCs out of the water. It serves them right for pricing their target audience out of the market.