PDA

View Full Version : Planetside

SlayerDragon
18th Jan 2004, 04:40 PM
Anybody here play this game? I just started the other night, and so far it's been hella fun! I have a free 30-day subscription, and the game was given to me by a friend, but if this keeps up I will probably pay for more.

I made two characters, the first (SlayerDragon) didn't work out so well, he's kinda stuck as a crappy infantry grunt who gets killed all too frequently. I started another last night, got him up to BR 5 already and he's much much better. Anyway, for anyone interested, I'm playing as a VS character on Emerald, part of the Belligerent Nation outfit.

dapngwnman
18th Jan 2004, 05:07 PM
lol planetside...i played that before they tried to make me buy stuff aka EXPANSION BULL****...lemme give ya a kickass hint to have fun. get a basalisk...and jump cliffs. you're life will change dramatically. searhus has the biggest ass cliffs in its crater you just gotta find em..

phillys
18th Jan 2004, 05:35 PM
it's pay to play :(

tool
18th Jan 2004, 05:46 PM
Planetside is awsome, Lenix plays it still and I am going to re-activate my account and buy the latest expansion pack for it. It really is a great game, forget the fact that it is pay to play, so what. It is just $13 a month, you can get $13 a month cant you? Seriously try it out, you can download it and try it for like a week, and when you buy the software you can get a month free. It is really worth it.

[FO]Crafty
18th Jan 2004, 06:11 PM
I used to play a lot of pay for play games I'm over it when I pay for software I don't want to continue paying for it like a car payment that never ends thanks but no thanks no game is worth that at-least to me

spm1138
18th Jan 2004, 07:04 PM
It was good but Sony F CKED IT ROYALLY with Core Combat.

I belong to an outfit called ]eVe[ on Werner. We are TR. Pretty much everyone I used to enjoy rolling over things in a platoon with has defected to SWG in recent months.

Planetside can be fantastic. One of the experiences that got me hooked was during my first weekend playing as an infiltrator I decided to do my usual trick and flank around the forward edge of the battle. Only the battle stretched on and on and on and on. Must have been almost five hundred meters across. Tanks and MAXes and reavers. Lots of things going BOOM. It was an amazing sight.

I also like that I can actually be a sniper and not just an arsehole with a scoped rifle i.e. there is sufficient scope for you to sneak around, recon things and call in artillery and air support.

Unfortunately lately I seem to be spending an awful lot of time either driving across empty continents or suffering from crippling slowdown to the point where my 12* zoom is rendered useless because the game isn't drawing anything further than seventy five metres away from me because everyone is dropping onto the ONE flashpoint on the entire planet.

Sony also seem to be systematically destroying every way of playing the game that doesn't just involve running at the other guy spraying away with the largest firearm you can carry.

I don't have a problem with Pay To Play, but getting screwed out of thirty quid for Core Combat was a frustrating experience.

SlayerDragon
18th Jan 2004, 07:11 PM
Crafty']I used to play a lot of pay for play games I'm over it when I pay for software I don't want to continue paying for it like a car payment that never ends thanks but no thanks no game is worth that at-least to me

The difference between the pay for play games and the games you pay for once is the servers. Pay for play you play on the servers owned and operated by the people you bought the game from. What you pay for is the constant maintenance that is being done to the game and the servers. I wouldnt pay for something like UT2003 by the month, that's just ridiculous. Besides, after trying the game I decided that it is definitely worth 12.99 a month to play.

As for the Core Combat expansion, I don't know that I will be buying that - at least not yet. I'm having a blast on the continents as is. Today I got Battle Rank 6 and I haven't chosen an implant yet, but I did switch out my Mosquito certification for an Air Cavalry one so I can fly the Reaver.

I had a hella lot of fun today fightin on Amerish and counterattacking the Terran Republic. We were fighting in the hills outside of the installations on Amerish, I was using my Starfire (anti-air) MAX armor, and I blasted about a dozen of the suckers out of the sky. The best was when they would see me and start coming for me - guns ablaze. All I had to do was take aim and let my seeking energy projectiles fly, they'd be toast in no time.

Oh, tool, what name/empire/server?

Beowolf
18th Jan 2004, 07:34 PM
I might try the 30 day trial thingy. It looks like an awesome game, but my monthly allowence is already being eaten up by host bills :p

SlayerDragon
18th Jan 2004, 07:41 PM
I might try the 30 day trial thingy. It looks like an awesome game, but my monthly allowence is already being eaten up by host bills :p

Hehe. Well, if you choose Vanu Sovereignty as your empire, look for WraithHunter - that's me.

[FO]Crafty
18th Jan 2004, 07:45 PM
Slayer I perfectly understand what you are saying I played pay for play for 5 years on Sony's tanaraus and realized in the end the company always screws the game up and or screws the players over.

SteelX
18th Jan 2004, 08:00 PM
I played Planetside for about 3 months, but stopped because it got really really boring. All we were doing was conquering bases, nothing else, which isn't worth paying for. There's no objective or anything, just the same old battles at the same old bases. Booooring.

FlakMan
18th Jan 2004, 10:35 PM
I think it's a lot of fun, I play a hell of a lot. Slayer, look for me, I play as FlakSoS. If you're ever considering joining a different outfit, mine is a pretty damn good one. Those of us that play the most are a really tight bunch, know each other pretty well since we started a year or two ago playing Counter-Strike togethor. Our forums are at http://www.sonsofsmash.com/forum.

SlayerDragon
18th Jan 2004, 10:41 PM
I think it's a lot of fun, I play a hell of a lot. Slayer, look for me, I play as FlakSoS. If you're ever considering joining a different outfit, mine is a pretty damn good one. Those of us that play the most are a really tight bunch, know each other pretty well since we started a year or two ago playing Counter-Strike togethor. Our forums are at http://www.sonsofsmash.com/forum.

I may consider it, I went to the forums of this outfit and there isn't really anyone there. Mostly it's the people from the Star Wars Galaxy forum on the same site. Weird.

hyrulian
18th Jan 2004, 11:25 PM
Dammit I hate pay-to-play games! I don't have a credit card! Even if I did, I still wouldn't wanna pay subscription fees for games!

Oh, and when I first saw this thread I thought it was something made by Gamespy, but obviously I was wrong...

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
18th Jan 2004, 11:51 PM
I was in the beta. It was sexy back then. Things were alot simpler back then (CC's were in the basement of tower, not on the second floor. IE, if you're weak enough to let them inisde, you don't deserve the tower).

Plus, nothing beat having pheonix squads by an AMS and a spotter cloaked in the base. "NE COURTYARD!" *whoosh* *bam* :)

SlayerDragon
19th Jan 2004, 12:03 AM
Plus, nothing beat having pheonix squads by an AMS and a spotter cloaked in the base. "NE COURTYARD!" *whoosh* *bam* :)

:lol: Sweet.

[UM]theswarm
19th Jan 2004, 12:39 AM
cabal0428 (VS/Emerald) is my main, BR18/CR2 (but 2500CEP to CR3). Since others are doing the same, I'll just have to put out my recruiting ad for Rebel Nation Soldiers (http://www.rnsnetwork.com), 6th in total outfit points but something like 30th or so in total members. What does this mean? Rather than getting 1 million outfit points with 300 members (average 3333.333... OP/member), we have 110 or so members with the same amount of OP (average 9090.9090... OP/member). It's a great group of people with a dedicated voice server and multiple CR5s.

phillys
19th Jan 2004, 01:09 AM
Planetside is awsome, Lenix plays it still and I am going to re-activate my account and buy the latest expansion pack for it. It really is a great game, forget the fact that it is pay to play, so what. It is just $13 a month, you can get $13 a month cant you? Seriously try it out, you can download it and try it for like a week, and when you buy the software you can get a month free. It is really worth it.

yeah... I can afford $13 a month but I just have the Credit card to pay them :p lol...

AriTheDog
19th Jan 2004, 01:11 AM
The Beta was the best free game I ever played.

tool
19th Jan 2004, 01:12 AM
Might want to check out your local EBgames or some other game store and see if they sell the game cards, or go bug the parents for the credit card and promise to pay them back right after you use their credit card.

phillys
19th Jan 2004, 01:33 AM
That sounds like a plan but no matter what I say/do I will never be able to use their Credit Card for gaming purposes :p Tool, do you know of any where that sells those game cards OUTSIDE US? :p I live in MAlaysia, remember? ;)