Win 95 backup

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
Is there an easy way/ third paty software to back up all drivers on a win 95 machine? I have to re-install windows on a freinds PC that is like 8 years old no drivers no manuals nothing so short of writing down the names and doing a web search I have no way of getting drivers. As the PC is so old I'm not holding up too much hope of finding said drivers, so is there an easy way to get all the drivers? I mean I will try the net as well it's just I'm not up to scratch with win 95 - I fought upgrading as long as possble back in the day and really never got to know windows 95.
Thanks
-How.

ragingsamster

oldfartis nongratis
Jun 4, 2001
Washington
Visit site
THe only way I know of is starting from scratch. Find, D/L, and then reload, when the machine is reloaded, burn the image to a CD using Ghost or Drive Image then put the CD in a safe place - don't load any unneccessary apps, just windows and drivers to keep the image sized to fit on a CD. Happy searching!

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
There is no program that I know of that will do that for 95. When going to school I use to mess around and reinstall about once a week. I did the same for other peoples machines too and it seemed to work fine.

Boot to dos and rename windows to win-old, program files to pro-old and any other 95 made directories like that. Copy the files in the root directory. Make sure you get hidden files & directories and system files & directories. Also check the root for directories that keep drivers. Be sure to get the autoexec.bat and config.sys. CD ROM drivers like to keep there files in a directory off the root. Delte directories and sub directories you are sure you won't need. If a second HD is available move them there.

Now you install. When you need to install a driver I would try the net first. There are some good sites that have all kinds of driver for DL. If you can't find one point the driver install to winold/inf. From there there is some trial and error. You will come across an error that it can't find such and such search for it in the directories you saved. Chances are its in system or system32.

You probably will miss something still. Some drivers can't be installed in such a manor.

I thought there was a program that listed drivers. I really can't remember though. If there is I suggest try getting a list.

PS I also suggest before you do any of this and space is available copy the install directory from the CD to the hard drive. You will thank yourself.