Rainbow Six 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
The other day, spurred on by boredom I bought RS3 for XBox.

RS3 borrows a lot from Raven Shield but transplants the Splinter Cell lighting engine in.

It also strips the gameplay right down so that instead of being in command of eight operators you lead a team of four. Instead of choosing them you get the same four guys, complete with funny foreign accents (Eddie Price's is very dodgy) and different headgear (the frenchie has a beret).

Instead of a planning stage with waypoints and the like the levels are chopped and changed so that they are basically linear with a straight run right the way through. Some bits get lopped off but it seems to give more scope for scripted shootouts.

Rather than getting to choose attachments and ammo types most of the weapons come with an attachment already fitted. I think this gets away from the feeling of their being a hundred identical weapons in each category. A lot of the guns come with some sort of reflex sight fitted. If you go into aim mode with these you get a vaguelly Inf-like view down the sight.

The AI remains basically the same although they have added in pre-scripted covering positions which your men take up rather than standing there like lemons when they've finished moving. You have basically the same set of commands (although I think they've weeded out some of the less useful ones) and the context sensitive icon remains. It's still not as good as the AI in SWAT3 for example but it gives the impression of being a lot cleverer than it is.

You can use voice recognition via the "Live" headset should you so desire.

I think they've done a really good job of "porting" the game to console and making it different enough to work on the platform. There's even some features in there I'd like to have on the PC version so it's not just "dumbing down".

This is how Ion Storm should have handled Deus Ex 2.

Apparently the Live game is superb and the single player aint bad either (I am playing through it at the moment).

Highly recommended to anyone who owns an XBox and likes shooting games. Come to think of it, if both of those conditions are true you probably already have it :D

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
I didn't read his description as "making the game less fun". I read it as "getting rid of all what was unecessary or didn't work well in Raven Shield". His review makes the game look more straight to the point, so to speak, and as far as i know it's precisely what it's supposed to be.

Let's face it : Raven Shield's AI was far too dumb to make the idea of having 8 people to manage on your team "fun". All the rifles looked and acted the same since they all had the same attachments. The only "negative" change i se is the more linear levels, but it suits the game's emphasis on action.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
i shall stick to my preference to the old school Rainbow Six, (original, RS,UO,CO,BT,) since they tended to have quite a lot of planning involved and a lot of weapon mods out there, along with camos. (although they had crosshairs, i dont mind it, since i always used 3rd person view).

when did R6 3 come out?

UncleOsmov

The beauty of AWD!
Mar 20, 2002
Chicaaago
Raven Shield is really fun on my Mac. I think the AI is MUCH smarter than it was before, if I don't want to, I don't have to fire a shot, my team will do it for me. Personally though, these kind of games I think are much better with a mouse, so I've never played the Xbox version.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
when did R6 3 come out?

Raven Shield came out last year.

Rainbow Six 3 is the streamlined console version of that.

Personally though, these kind of games I think are much better with a mouse, so I've never played the Xbox version.

There's a spiffy autoaim system.

I have the game for PC and I gave up on the AI sometime around "Import/Export".

recon1337

Halo boy
Mar 25, 2003
CA, USA
Visit site
I personally like the auto aim system in R6 xbox. Its like the complete opposite of the PC version. It has a circle instead of a crosshair, size of it depends on the accuracy of the weapon used, and any baddies in the circle should be hit when you fire. The circle shrinks down to a dot when you move fast as to penalize for run&gun and enlarge when you crouch. Although it doesn’t do aiming assist, meaning the circle wont “slightly follow” the target, it gets the job done just as well as a mouse. For those of you out there who wont buy this cuz u cant mouse it, ur missing out sum great stuff.