dead pc =(

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Alas i think that my pc has been cursed by the gods. I'm not all that tech savy anymore, so i figure i'll see if the combined geekdome of the forums can help me out a bit.

The problem started out probably about 2 days ago when my machine randomly rebooted ( not good ) but that apeared to be the end of it. Then all of a sudden my machine wouldn't boot/post. It'd start up and tell me something along the the lines of AMD XP2000+ processor, and that's about it. No ram count up, or anything else. Figuring that my ram could be the route of the evil, i removed one of my 2 sticks of ram. No luck, i did this again, and again switching the positions and arangments of the ram. At one point it all of a sudden started telling me that i had a AMD XP1250 and "warning it apears to be overclocked!" but at least it'd let me geting to the cmos... after dicking around in the cmos ( i didn't change anything except to tell it to not hold up on any errors at the POST) I did a warm reboot and Gasp it actually started up right. (XP2000 with 256MB ram ect ect)

Unfortunatly that was a fluke of fortune. and since it hasn't started up and persists to tell me that i'm running a XP1250 Athlon.

At this point i'm wondering if bad ram is really the cause, i'm gonna borrow some misc DDR ram from a friend and see if it'll at least boot.. if that's the case then it'll be a good excuse to upgrade anyhow. If not... i dunno. Perhpas a dell heheh.

System Specs.
Asus A7n8x (nvidia 2 chipset)
AMD Xp2000
Crosair ram 256MB 400Mhz DDR
nvidia Ti44000 agp
ect ect ect...

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
A miscalculation of overclocking could be a faulty power supply thats giving out too much power (possible?), but i'm only guessing. Random rebooting usually sounds like the faults of the power supply anyway.

Harry_C

Getting old ... and drunk
Apr 2, 2001
France
Visit site
Well I'd try to clear CMOS, you have in your mobo manual the exact procedure to do it.

After you should access the bios with only the minimum components.
cpu+1 ram stick+vid card (or built in video chipset if you have any)+floppy disk

Set everything in bios to default.
Then check voltage+temp and set cpu speed(if incorrect)

Add other ram sticks (if you have any)
check them with memtest86

Then start adding hard disks cd/dvdrom
Check if everything is fine.

Then add the remaining components (pci card usb devices etc...)

It may take time to determine the faulty device(s)/problem though
Good luck.