Hard drive woes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Alas, I finally got a new hard drive, just received it two days ago. It's a Samsung 160GB, and I thought I would be happier from that point on. I was wrong. I copied my old drive to the new one, and it was a fairly quick process. When It copied over, it did not do a thorough format, just a quick format. Last night I left the computer on and I was just doing my regular downloading. This morning when I woke up, I was hit with a pretty depressing prompt. It said the file or directory c: was corrupt. I thought to myself, "OSNAP"! I thought restarting it would help. Instead of helping, it didn't boot. So then I was stuck with one option, I had to reconnect my old harddrive and try to diagnose it from there. Anyway, when I used R-Studio NTFS on it, there were some 15 records of FAT32 and a couple FAT16s in there too. There were two records of NTFS partitions. Anyway, the one and only green record was a FAT12 and it had Dr Dos on it :eek:. It was then that I believed it was used/refurbished and I had been bamboozled by newegg. Anyway, I have decided to post this here, and ask what people think about it, like is this because it hasn't been thoroughly formatted? Is this really a used/refurbished drive, or is Dr Dos used for testing :con:? Or is it just a bad drive? Help is appreciated :)

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Ding ding ding, and FeelTheUniverseXXX is the winner! Aaand what do we have for him, Johnny!?

In addition, are you absolutely, 100% sure it was "new" and not "refurbished" ? Granted, even if it was "refurbished", it shouldn't have had stuff on it already...o_O

Crazy_Ivan

KAR whore
Jan 30, 2003
1,5meters below sea level
Visit site
point me the guy who manages to put a FAT-12 partition on a harddrive.

DR-Dos on a harddrive can mean tha someone ran a partition manager over it for some reason... some of those programs use that as a base OS.

with the mess on the drive it looks like a refurbished one... which they didn't even clean correctly