normal maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gorgon

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Nividia makes a normal map filter for photoshop that is supposed to an upgrade from bump mapping.I am assuming it works like a bump map in max where you create a bump map which is then loaded into the material editor and is applied to the original texture map when you render the image. I was wondering if anyone knows how to import this into the unreal editor to give your texture maps a more 3d look.

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
an interesting sidebar -- i've been using the U2XMP Editor (a version of UEd3) and its texture import dialog has an "Import as Bump Map" checkbox. i haven't tried it out yet, though. maybe something we'll see in UT2004?

pengwinzz

Dec 22, 2003
chip said:
an interesting sidebar -- i've been using the U2XMP Editor (a version of UEd3) and its texture import dialog has an "Import as Bump Map" checkbox. i haven't tried it out yet, though. maybe something we'll see in UT2004?

I have been playing about with this today

I made a black and white texture (below) when I imported it as a bump map it changes to this strange stripy texture

bump.jpg

I could get a simple map with the bump map in to build but not run

In the U2XMP.log it has the following

Init: D3D Driver: Supports D3DTOP_BUMPENVMAP
Init: D3D Driver: Supports D3DTOP_BUMPENVMAPLUMINANCE

Deus Ex 2 (which uses the unreal engine) supports normal mapping

AlexPayne.jpg

there was a really good pic I saw somewhere of an un-textured grey scene with just normal mapping from Deus Ex 2, can't find it now:(

Jack oneill

Sep 4, 2001
France
atlantis.jolt.co.uk
Deus Ex 2 engine has nothing to do Ut2k3 or 2k4 one. It is a way more enhanced version, built by Ion Storm guys. Normal mapping comes usually with engines supporting stencil shadows like Doom3, Far Cry, HL2, etc...

Building normal maps is a modelling job, not a mapping/texturing one. I've never done it yet but i think you have to do two different 3d models (a low poly and a high poly one), and then you merge the lighting of the high poly on the low poly one. Something like that. You'll find tutorials easily on how to do this, tho it's not usefull for UT modding.