PDA

View Full Version : Ohh sh*t.

novak
15th Jan 2004, 05:57 AM
"No wonder Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew is smiling. Not only has he been rescued from obscurity and given the chance to reprise his role as our Wookiee comrade for Episode III, but his contract also stipulates that he'd be required to appear in Episodes 7, 8, and 9.

Yes folks, seems there are actual whispers at Lucasfilm that the 'sequel' trilogy might be in the works..."

Apparenly George Lucas is considering making an another trilogy of sequels (or is it prequels?) to the original Star Wars movies. I guess the gazillion dollars he has made on the previous films isn't enough.

George, we beg of you, let the ole cash cow have some rest and try to make movies that have atleast some originality and are actually work watching.

The Source. (http://www.theforce.net/episode3/index.shtml)

Zarkazm
15th Jan 2004, 07:15 AM
Episodes 7, 8 and 9 would rather obviously be sequels rather than prequels. Another trivial question I can answer for you?

Since many fans apparently love the post-ROTJ stories, I would not mind them projected on the big screen. That'd also guarantee midi-chlorian-free Jediness.

I'd certainly love to see Luke venture on the dark side as in Dark Empire.

Raving Star Wars fans begone! Go play with Tolkien fans! :p

Lizard Of Oz
15th Jan 2004, 07:45 AM
I think it's a good idea despite the fact the Ep.1 & Ep.2 did not have the same "feel" as
4,5, & 6. If I were a young kid, I know I would love the new movies as much as I loved the older movies.

Saito
15th Jan 2004, 08:46 AM
yep originals were best, though I must admit yoda kicked ass.

DeeperShade
15th Jan 2004, 08:53 AM
Last I heard 7,8 & 9 weren't being made and weren't even planned. Lucas just said that the fanmade books sequelling the originals were to carry on the storyline.

GeneticFreak
15th Jan 2004, 10:19 AM
If i wasnt mistaken in one of the hobby shops around 5 or 8 so years ago when i was a kid theres a small booklet called "Upcoming soon: Star Wars Episode 7: Heir to the Empire" that has its synopsis, of Luke marrying some ex sith that was once the head of Palpatine's "Secret Order of the Emperor"

Now I dont know if such a book have existed, but that booklet was at least 5 years ago... can someone confirm if they have seen the same advertisement? (BTW the booklet was bound inside the box of X-Wing authentic model, that could have been there for at least another 3-5 years)

The Dopefish
15th Jan 2004, 11:32 AM
Luke marries Mara Jade. (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/marajadeskywalker/eu.html)

das_ben
15th Jan 2004, 11:37 AM
I always thought that episodes 7, 8 & 9 were 'announced' [as in 'there will be sequel episodes] when the prequel episodes were made.

SlayerDragon
15th Jan 2004, 11:39 AM
Dude.... Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command.

To see those done on the big screen with the same style and 0wnage as the original trilogy would be nothing short of F-ing AWESOME. I recently obtained a hardback set of these books, and was extremely pleased with that fact.

TossMonkey
15th Jan 2004, 11:45 AM
Sometimes actors have to agree to do sequels as part of their contract, this is basically what Mayhew has to do.

SlayerDragon
15th Jan 2004, 11:46 AM
/me roars like a Wookie.

Actually, that's my roommate's nickname for me -Chewie. Because I'm a huge hairy beast. And I also do a good Wookie imitation. :D

tool
15th Jan 2004, 03:53 PM
It is George Luca's universe and he can do whatever he wants with it :). I personally would be very happy to see him do more Star Wars movies. I have enjoyed all the Star Wars movies made so far by George Lucas. Sure the originals are still considered the best, but that is only because of when they were released. Back in that time Starwars was original and new, it was way ahead of its time. Episode 1 & 2 didnt have the appeal because there was so much science fiction out there that it just didnt make Episode 1 & 2 seem so good. But if you look at the bigger picture, Episode 1 & 2 is still true to the starwars universe and are still excellent movies.

spm1138
15th Jan 2004, 04:45 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realise that Empire was the best of the original trilogy.

I always thought that episodes 7, 8 & 9 were 'announced'

Rings a bell. I think I read something like that back when the prequels had just been announced.

iolair
15th Jan 2004, 05:26 PM
Sure the originals are still considered the best, but that is only because of when they were released. Back in that time Starwars was original and new, it was way ahead of its time. Episode 1 & 2 didnt have the appeal because there was so much science fiction out there that it just didnt make Episode 1 & 2 seem so good. But if you look at the bigger picture, Episode 1 & 2 is still true to the starwars universe and are still excellent movies.
IMHO, the original 3 films were the best because of the fantastic chemistry between Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. There was nothing to match it (or even come close to it) in episodes 1 & 2.

Beowolf
15th Jan 2004, 05:33 PM
Since many fans apparently love the post-ROTJ stories, I would not mind them projected on the big screen. That'd also guarantee midi-chlorian-free Jediness.

I have read all of them, and absolutely love them. I am concerned, however, if he would be able to make the movies as good as the books.

I AM{skullface}
15th Jan 2004, 05:58 PM
I thought I posted here...but I don't see it so I'm still a noob at this forum stuff.

I'm pretty sure that Lucas was adamant he would not create 7-9. Also, doesn't Chewie die in the book series? So why would be in the next 3 episodes?

If Georgey does decide to make them, it'd be awesome. Hopefully he'd release one a year instead of one every 30. ;)

-I_AM{skullface}

Bean316
15th Jan 2004, 06:06 PM
I'd like to see BioWare contribute to the final trilogy (if it is made). Those of you who played KotOR know exactly what I mean. They out-Star War'd Star Wars! As for directing the movies, I'd like to see Steven Spielberg direct them, because he obviously works quite well with Lucas. Lucas can be a exec producer. Best way imo.

Beowolf
15th Jan 2004, 06:15 PM
Yes Chewie does die, early on, as such it would be in the first episode probably.

TheEndruu
15th Jan 2004, 06:20 PM
This is a bit too much to take in at once for me. I have no opinion as of now.

SlayerDragon
15th Jan 2004, 06:54 PM
Yes Chewie does die, early on, as such it would be in the first episode probably.
When the hell does Chewie die? What'd I miss? :mad:

Sam_The_Man
15th Jan 2004, 06:57 PM
I like all the Star Wars films, though the original trilogy has a better 'feel' about it, but come on, this is going to make NINE FILMS in the same series. What next? The film version of the Wheel of Time?

Of course, you could point out that there have been twenty Bond films and no end in sight, but the Bond setting has much wider scope and, more to the point, are all seperate rather than being a series. All the Star Wars films are basically about the good democratic Republic and the Jedi versus the evil totalitarian Empire and the Sith, and three out of the five so far have had a big space dogfight at the end, four out of the five have ended with a lightsaber duel, and someone who remembers the films better than I could point out more recurring themes. It doesn't need another trilogy.

Daedalus
15th Jan 2004, 06:59 PM
IF they did make 7, 8, and 9, maybe Kyle Katarn would be in them :D How would they do that? Everyone is old now.

MetalMickey
15th Jan 2004, 07:18 PM
I have read all of them, and absolutely love them. I am concerned, however, if he would be able to make the movies as good as the books.

The lotr movies werent a patch on the books, but they were still great. I think it would be cool to make em.

Zarkazm
15th Jan 2004, 07:19 PM
What next? The film version of the Wheel of Time?
Man, don't get my hopes up. :-):tup:

*drools*

hal
15th Jan 2004, 08:46 PM
First off, there's no doubt 4,5, and 6 are the best (best of which is, of course, 5). I think 4 and 5 are the best because they kept the annoyance factor low. By annoyance factor, I mean:

1) Muppets - except yoda
2) CGI Muppets - except yoda
3) Kid Annakin
4) Young Annakin

I saw the last one in IMAX format and about 15 minutes of Annakin and Amidala staring longingly into one anothers eyes... was mercilessly cut.

It was a much better movie.

There was a lot of action in the last one. The big battle scenes were great. Seeing "original" troopers was very cool. I think it was a step in the right direction for old George.

The post storyline is stronger than the pre storyline. I'm stoked. :tup:

Kray
15th Jan 2004, 11:51 PM
I would be very happy if they make ep 7, 8, 9 if:

1. Same "feel" as ROTJ - use original storm troopers costumes, puppet yoda, basically more small scale models/puppets, and use much less CGI
2. Shorter story timeline using same characters/actors in all 3 trilogy (not like baby anakin -> teen anakin etc)
3. Like iolar said, better and closer chemistry between the main characters
4. More adult oriented movie, not aim-for-kiddie-acted-by-kiddies like ep 1...

By the way, when is Ep 3 supposed to be out?

The Dopefish
15th Jan 2004, 11:56 PM
By the way, when is Ep 3 supposed to be out?

Next yrrr.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
16th Jan 2004, 12:12 AM
I would love to see the Battle at Bakura.

/me dreams

Iron Archer
16th Jan 2004, 01:13 AM
I don't care if they use different actors for luke, etc, as long as the movies are good *knock on wood*. '

I'm surprised it's news to some that there were originally 9 episodes in the original story, not six, as Lucas has been lying about lately. I mean crap, he hasn't made any movies in the past 20 years if you compare what his buddy Spielberg has made. IMHO I think Lucas should let some other good directors like Spielberg take a whack at the 7-9 sequels.

Super Feen
16th Jan 2004, 02:29 AM
my star wars knowledge is limited to the flicks, and I thought the ending of RotJ pretty much ended anything that needed to be told with Luke and the gang, so can someone fill me in on what this next trilogy-sequel covers storywise?

spm1138
16th Jan 2004, 03:13 AM
They have this whole dorky extended universe thing that got tacked on afterwards to sell paperbacks.

The Dopefish
16th Jan 2004, 12:33 PM
so can someone fill me in on what this next trilogy-sequel covers storywise?

A new Republic is formed and Luke creates a Jedi Academy.

For starters.

Destro7000
16th Jan 2004, 02:21 PM
I'd just like to see Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade in Dark Forces 1/2/MotS. Because to me when I played through those games it was totally Star Wars, more of the blander, darker side.
The CGi in the prequels is cool, but it isn't as cool as the stop motion + puppetry of the OT(erm, original trilogy!). Nothing like seeing those Stop-motion AT-ATs stalking over some terrain.

If someone does more star wars, some of the games are better role-models than the books. I'd say: DF2/Xwing Alliance-based is the coolest.

But Lucas shouldn't direct them anymore.

=D7K=

W0RF
16th Jan 2004, 02:41 PM
When the hell does Chewie die? What'd I miss? :mad:
Chewbacca doesn't bite it until Vector Prime, which by then is some 25 yrs after the end of Jedi. So there's more than enough material in the canon to do whatever The Flanneled One wants to do. I just don't think he will.

For the longest time, and I think a TFN editorial said something to the same effect, there were no major character developments with any of the principals, on the premise that GL might want to do his third trilogy and not have to deal with his characters being dead or crippled or evil or whatever. Well look at what's happened in the books lately:
Luke's been married, Leia and Han married and had kids, one of whom just died, Chewie just died, etc etc etc
Apparently, screwing up a movie timeline is no longer a concern, and I don't expect GL to model his movies off other people's books, even tho he did approve all of the material in the books including the stuff listed above. I think TossMonkey hit it square on the head, this was an old contrat stipulation from way back when he wanted to all 9. It doesn't change the consensus that he's tossed the idea of doing the last set.

If they DID do a future trilogy, it would have to be based on the Zahn trillogy (Heir/Dark Force/Command, like SlayerDragon said). Best books of the whole set.

SlayerDragon
16th Jan 2004, 02:48 PM
Ooooohhh... Yeah, I haven't been keeping up to speed. I was into the X-Wing series and then after that my friend stopped buying the books and I stopped borrowing, lol

Grim_Angel
16th Jan 2004, 02:57 PM
I think the first 2 movies were excellent.... ROTJ was ok... but started the downfall of the franchise by changing their marketing strategy. In ROtJ Lucas started marketing to kids... Ewoks.. while it wasn't bad... in Episode 1 with Jar jar i almost got sick! Jarjar ruined the movie. Too much kiddie stuff in there.... he's trying to sell action figures. I think if he plans on rescuing Starwars he'll need to get back to basics and bring back the dark nuances from Empire strikes back! Episodes 4 & 5... the best.

W0RF
16th Jan 2004, 03:32 PM
What's funny about Ep. 2 is that JarJar's role is actually pleasing to everyone! First of all it's greatly reduced which pleases the haters, but still significant which pleases the lamers, er, I mean, people who liked JarJar. He saved the Jedi which pleases the Binksophiles, but moving to grant emergency powers to Palpatine brings about the fall of the Republic, which gives all the haters reason to point and scream, "SEEE?!? I TOLD J00 SO! HE'S TEH EBIL!!!!!!"

.... which he is... ;)

:edit: Grim - given all the not-good stuff that needs to happen in Ep. 3 to lead properly into Ep. 4, I expect this will be darkest of all.

And hopefully JarJar will die. A lot.

[IsP]KaRnAgE
16th Jan 2004, 03:48 PM
I think it was said that Jar Jar will not be one of the people to die in Ep 3.

I meant 3!

Grim_Angel
16th Jan 2004, 03:50 PM
I sure hope so... but my only fear is that ... to make it more kiddie friendly he's going to have some huge comic relief .... C3PO was the relief in episode 2 .... i just want this to be a good movie... not a special-effects-eye-candy showcase.

TheEndruu
16th Jan 2004, 03:57 PM
I think the stop motion AT-ATs and the space battles in the old movies are a ton more believeable then all the CGI stuff.

Bean316
16th Jan 2004, 04:06 PM
They need to accidently discover HK-47 on some planet for some badass comic relief in Ep. 3!

W0RF
16th Jan 2004, 04:12 PM
Karnage - nice spoiler. We already know JarJar doesn't die in Episode 4 (also known as Star Wars, or A New Hope). :p

stoned_jedi
16th Jan 2004, 05:30 PM
yeah Hk-47 would rock in it.

I personally think the biggest problem with the star wars universe is they try to link everything in a small way (IE Anakin Skywalker made C3P0 i mean come on you think C3p0 would have said when Luke bought him "Oh isnt that amazing your dad built me, and r2 was owned by your mum) or having Jabba the Hutt in the first movie, i mean ITS AN ENTIRE FREAKIN universe it would be nice for more diversity

Also the changes from computers really bugged me in the OT the computer graphics were crap (Lukes Targetting Computer) then on Ep.1 and 2 they have stuff that i would kill a nun for. I hate when prrequals and sequals make things a hell of a lot slicker just cause the movie makers CAN do new stuff.

AMMAGETSVM
16th Jan 2004, 05:34 PM
They have this whole dorky extended universe thing that got tacked on afterwards to sell paperbacks.

Never got into those books.
Seemed to lack faith...which I find disturbing ;)

Anyway, if they were to make 7,8,9 damn straight I'd check 'em. The movie magic may be lost on me these days, but I'll still keep an open mind.

[IsP]KaRnAgE
16th Jan 2004, 06:15 PM
Karnage - nice spoiler. We already know JarJar doesn't die in Episode 4 (also known as Star Wars, or A New Hope). :p

OOPS! Fixed now. But you know, it might be true for the super deluxe mega addition where they add pointless flashback scenes!

Zarkazm
16th Jan 2004, 06:31 PM
Will that be the 9 CD Hypercube?

Destro7000
16th Jan 2004, 07:21 PM
i just want this to be a good movie... not a special-effects-eye-candy showcase.

Well the way they've gone with Anakin (just simply the way he moves and talks -I can't imagine Lord Darth Vader saying "It's not fair!" in his big booming voice- all the kiddyish lines seem out of place) is enough to make me dislike the storyline before it comes out. So I will be watching ep3 simply to see the amazing art that Industrial Light & Magic create.

CGi here isn't bad...it just doesn't fit with the OT. I would have liked it if starwars was:
a) Fully CGi in OT and PT
or b) Fully puppets/animatronic/stopmotion in both OT and PT
but since it isn't, I don't feel they link properly. So I just enjoy them separately. OT is not as colourful and Epic but it's more realistic/gritty.

Yawn, it is late now I must sleep before I lose my blood-drained eyes under the desk and/or become a blatant fanboymonkey. G'nite.

=D7K=

Sam_The_Man
16th Jan 2004, 08:05 PM
Man, don't get my hopes up. :-):tup:

*drools*

I genuinely was kidding. No-one could accurately represent on film the battles using the One Power, in which ordinary people can't see what's going on (during one battle it's mentioned that a serving girl walks in and just sees the two combatants staring at each other), male and female Aes Sedai can't see any of the other's spells, and a hell of a lot of stuff happens that can't be represented visually at all, e.g. stilling or shielding.

Unfortunately :)

Zarkazm
16th Jan 2004, 09:51 PM
I genuinely was kidding. No-one could accurately represent on film the battles using the One Power, in which ordinary people can't see what's going on (during one battle it's mentioned that a serving girl walks in and just sees the two combatants staring at each other), male and female Aes Sedai can't see any of the other's spells, and a hell of a lot of stuff happens that can't be represented visually at all, e.g. stilling or shielding.

Unfortunately :)
I was aware of that. But then I ain't so certain these aspects are that important. There is alot of actual story, and if LOTR demonstrated one thing to me than that modern sfx can represent magic very impressively. I read complaints about the way wearing the ring was depicted, but I thought it was wonderful.
The one power would often be represented well enough by the visible effects as they are often described in the books, also showing the weaves from the perspective of a specific person using sfx would not be amiss, as that is how they are generally described in the books too.
Of course it could be overdone, but I think many of the detailed descriptions could be ignored just like in LOTR.
The glow of saidar would be the easiest matter, and could be implemented subtle enough to be obvious without drawing attention from acting and story. Often this would be enough to show what is going on, movies often allow a little room for speculation on what precisely happens. Of course, just like with the LOTR movies, the story would have to be carefully rewritten for screenplay.

No, STOP! Brain - abort process. Dammit. Forget. It.

Damn you, Sam. Why make me think about it in the first place? I hate you. And I hate Harry Potter. :(