Helicopter Video - Iraq - New?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
You can hear gunfire [without seeing the effects] in the first few seconds of the movie, what's up with that and why does no one seem to react to it?

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Hey that gives me a new idea on how to deal with hostage situations!
:rolleyes:

Every time I see crap like that my respect for the Dutch marines in Iraq jumps up.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
reaper I would assume that it was on a different target, you do notice that on the bottom right the ammo count does change as the first few shots go off.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Isn't there something against killing wounded soldiers? I just love how the iraqi healed the US wounded soldiers they could and how the US troops just kill them. I'm sure the US governement would call it scandalous and barbarian if it was the other way around :mad:

I would love to see the guys in the chopper down below when one of their mates mistake them for OMG D4nG3r0US TiROriSTS!!11! :rolleyes:

edit: Also, Just imagine a guy living in the neighborhood. He hears the shooting and the horrifying screams of pain and agony. If he's even half a decent person, he'll try to help the survivors, but with the thermal goggles thingy, there's no way the gunner will see that and will probably shoot our nice iraqi hero :tdown:
And the americans still wonder WHY people want them to leave Iraq??

Last edited:

UDTSNAKE

heart breaker and life taker
Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
Reaper, the reaon is the video and recording is coming from the helo, from the time they fire and the time you see damage is going to be a second or two depending how far away...speed of sound. I got my first look at that when I did my first ordinance blow ...first you see the dirt kick up then you feel the blast wave, THEN you hear it, it all happens quick. Secondly, Freon, the platform those guys were going to looked like a gun or maybe an oil platform, none of us have enough information to substantiate either, you dont take risks...its war. Dont blame those guys. the laws of war say if you dont surrender, basically your fodder, unless your specifically wearing a symbol that shows you are a medic, and even then, dont take chances. Its not a infil game, its real. Those guys did a great job, disgusting as it may be. Blame tyhe ******* who put them there.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Yes you are right Henry. When army men kill people that look harmless we should assume they are doing their job. Afterall, history proves that trusting the army in making the right choices is a great thing to do :tup:

:rolleyes:

UDTSNAKE

Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
Rostam, its never the right thing to do. Thats why the *******s that put those guys there should bear the brunt of the negative remarks. I say again those guys did a great job.

G-Fresh

Red
Aug 6, 2001
Western Mancunia
Rostam said:
Yes you are right Henry. When army men kill people that look harmless we should assume they are doing their job. Afterall, history proves that trusting the army in making the right choices is a great thing to do
They're not harmless, what that segment of the video doesn't show is the RPG they had been carrying. Freon does have something of a point with the killing of the wounded man, but since they have a weapon more than capable of downing an Apache, I'd have probably done the same thing they did and made bloody sure he wasn't going to get back up again.

^^ never thought I'd say this but wise words from UDTSNAKE

Last edited:

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
At least these guys weren't acting like they were having fun doing this. I seem to remember some hooting and hollering in that other video when they "scored."

Last edited by a moderator:

UDTSNAKE

Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
yeah, those guys were infantry, big difference. those are the same guys that ran out to shield civilians from fire. Thier take on things is a little different. They are on the ground.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
In the same case you must not do that.

In the same case I know I must do that too. A really safe ennemy is a dead one. We have two thing witch fight together: morality/common sense.

Btw what kind of ammo did they use ?

Last edited:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I remember seeing that vid. The shooters wern't just some grunts, they were in a helicopter, following a suspect. That was NOT the whole video. The video is about twice to three times as long, with most of that before the shown part. If you see that part, you'll notice that the helicopter pilots had been following that suspect for some time. They then saw the two talking, and noticed their weaponry. Then, they called their CO over the radio, described the situation, and asked for permission to proceed. The CO then wanted them to continue to watch, and let them confirm their observations, which were shortly confirmed. Only then did their CO give them the authorization to attack. The pilots there followed every procedure to the letter, and it was recorded. Like Henry the V said, they're in a war zone, but it's not their fault they're there. (How's that sentance for you non-native english speakers? :D)

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Freon said:
Isn't there something against killing wounded soldiers? I just love how the iraqi healed the US wounded soldiers they could and how the US troops just kill them. I'm sure the US governement would call it scandalous and barbarian if it was the other way around :mad:

There probably is something that mentions a restriction on killing wounded enemies who can no longer resist, but the extent of the "wounds" is impossible to determine accurately. The guy's leg could be split in half, or maybe a bit of hot oil hit his pinky. Either way they have no way of knowing. Even if they did know, the letter of the law doesn't address a lot of the complexities with that issue. IE I saw footage from the war of a wounded American returning fire while being carried away on a stretcher. The same unit's First Sergeant was walking around and doing the same while a medic followed him around trying to treat his leg wound. Should those two be entitled to protection on the basis of their wounds?

Freon said:
edit: Also, Just imagine a guy living in the neighborhood. He hears the shooting and the horrifying screams of pain and agony. If he's even half a decent person, he'll try to help the survivors, but with the thermal goggles thingy, there's no way the gunner will see that and will probably shoot our nice iraqi hero :tdown:

Anybody who decides that he should run into the streets where 4 men have already been shot to death deserves a Darwin Award. That whole scenario takes me back to that game Lethal Enforcers, when the civilians would jump out at the most inopportune times, flail their arms around their waist like they were pulling a weapon around while and scream, "DON'T SHOOT ME!". They aren't stupid, he'll probably stay inside his house until he's sure the threat has passed.

Ignoring the poor quality of the thermal images, and assuming they could see every detail, they still wouldn't be able to look at him and establish his intent. Is the guy running right into the killzone a retard? Or maybe he's a doctor? Maybe one of the guys on the ground has something he wants? What might that something be? A wad of cash? Maybe he's going for the RPG so he can take another shot? Not to mention the fact that by sitting there staring at that guy playing "What If?" diverts their attention from other things, one them that might be fatal.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Those of you who are automatically assuming wrongdoing on the part of the helicopter crew are no better then those who are automatically assuming the guys on the ground got what they deserved. Short video clips like this are just too easy to interpret whatever way your own biases push you (remember Rodney King?)

The very fact that we are seeing this video says to me that it was a "clean op" because if they where innocent non-combatants I imagine the video would have been surpressed.

Right or wrong it does show that war is hell.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
poaw, or it could simply be somebody with guts who actually go help the poor ****er on the ground :rolleyes: The guy clearly was out of the game. Unless he had a miniature ground to air missile launcher and he was only pretending to be wounded.

Also, G-Fresh, the Apache or UH60 choppers that were shot down by RPG were lucky shot or embuches. I REALLY doubt one of these guys could shoot down an apache, or even aim it, from a straight uncovered street at night :p

I mean, shoot them if they're firing at you or something, but don't follow them in the night waiting for them to look vaguely menacing to open fire, that's just prevert. Do you really think a guy hidding under a truck wetting his pants is a thread to the world stability? :rolleyes:

Last edited: