Chevrolet - like a turd

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
What's with all the disgustingly ugly cars coming out today? First there was Pontiac's Aztec, then the Honda Element... now Chevrolet is trying to throw it's hand into the ****-pile with the Aveo

04124471990001LRG.jpg

Of course, just making it look like crap isn't good enough, it needs the worst engine on the face of the earth. How about a 1.6L 4-cylinder that pumps out a whopping 100 horsepower/torque and gets the SAME gas mileage as their 2.2L 4-cylinder that comes in the Cavalier, which comes with an extra 40 horsepower and 50 torque.

Oh well, it's all well and good. Because this is going to work much like the Geo Metro. Sure, it's a piece of crap, but it's cheap as hell... oh, wait... what's that? It costs only $600 more than the cavalier?

forgive me, I'm still looking for an answer to why the f*ck anyone will ever buy one of these.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/37789

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Well, I can tell you from experience that designing something cheap that will work well is extremely difficult. I feel sorry for the engineers that had to design that thing (the Aveo), they probably spent hours and hours of redesigning something because it cost just a little too much for manufacturing.

I spend hours looking for special durable materials, and all sorts of premanufactured parts catalogs only to present them in meetings and have them shot down because it's 2 or 3 dollars more than what they want to spend.

Hell, any fool can design a friggen Diablo where the sky's the limit in terms of cost.

Making a little crap box that is durable is the real test of an engineer.

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Hanover_Fist said:
Well, I can tell you from experience that designing something cheap that will work well is extremely difficult. I feel sorry for the engineers that had to design that thing (the Aveo), they probably spent hours and hours of redesigning something because it cost just a little too much for manufacturing.

I spend hours looking for special durable materials, and all sorts of premanufactured parts catalogs only to present them in meetings and have them shot down because it's 2 or 3 dollars more than what they want to spend.

Hell, any fool can design a friggen Diablo where the sky's the limit in terms of cost.

Making a little crap box that is durable is the real test of an engineer.

Designing something like this isn't very hard for the folks that did it, GM Daewoo Automotive Technologies .

SugarBear

Sadly Un-Surreal
May 18, 2001
Doesn't even matter
Visit site
because the cavalier doesn't exist anymore, so you can't buy it, the cobalt, which is the same car, made by the same people, in the same Lordstown plant is going to cost a lot more, and still be the same old crap, production on it doesn't begin for quite a while, but if you are unfortunate enough to live right next to the lordstown plant, like I do, you can drive a cobalt for yourself, feel the rattle, hear the annoying whine, watch as the car careens off the track because of the shotty suspension

the aveo used to be a kia or something, it's now Chevy's entry level car, and it's really not that bad, you can get a turbo kit for that engine, a new header, air cooler system and crank out 200 horses, the car is obviously crap, because any car owned by an american company is inherently crap, even the nice ones like the vette and the viper, still crap by default.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
oh, i hadn't heard about it being discontinued... but still, why not go with the other engine, or come up with one that actually gets better mileage?

ZenPirate

Nov 21, 2000
New York
Most likely because the car is a rebadged Korean model, not a "new" design. Kind of like the last Prisms were just rebadged Toyota Corolla's.

ZenPirate

Nov 21, 2000
New York
Better yet, here are two pics. One is the Daewoo "Rezzo", the other the new "Aveo" hatchback. Notice anything?

Attachments

• daewoo.jpg
    daewoo.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 04124471990003LRG.jpg
    04124471990003LRG.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
the really funny thing is that with that grille, the daewoo actually looks better than the chevy :lol:

I think Chevrolet is really destroying itself right now. I mean, they're doing this "12 new cars in 20 months" thing, but it appears the majority of those cars are going to be pure crap.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
imo the Aveo looks like a Geo Metro

Anyways, Chevy's Cobalt looks OK. I REALLY hate how they have that ugly chrome bar going around the front of every one of hteir cars except for the Corvette.

As for me, I'll stick with my 04 Pontiac Grand Prix :)

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Daedalus said:
imo the Aveo looks like a Geo Metro

Anyways, Chevy's Cobalt looks OK. I REALLY hate how they have that ugly chrome bar going around the front of every one of hteir cars except for the Corvette.

As for me, I'll stick with my 04 Pontiac Grand Prix :)
I've got a 97. I like the body style better... but the new ones are much nicer everywhere else from what I've seen/heard.

Lewis

May 1, 2003
i must say some cars nowadays are starting to look rubbish... i say we go back to the 80s/90s cars again (group b pimp) ;)

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
thewalkingman said:
WTF is this ?

chevrolet.ssr.r34.500.jpg

Chevrolet SSR
Starting at $41,995 :eek:

Part roadster. Part pickup. All jaw-dropping inspiration. It's the new Chevy SSR — a vehicle that transforms from a fully-enclosed roadster to convertible in less than 30 seconds.

Standard features include an aluminum-block Vortec 5300 V8 engine with 300 horsepower, ZQ8 Sport Suspension with a five-link layout for the rear and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS.

Specs:

Engine Type and Size: 5.3 liter Vortec 5300 OHV V-8 electronic sequential fuel injection

Horsepower (bhp): 300 @ 5200 rpm
Torque (ft./ lbs.): 331 @ 4000 rpm

Transmission: Four-speed automatic with overdrive

Drive Train: Longitudinally mounted front engine / Rear-wheel drive

Suspension: Front - Double A-arm
Rear - Five-link solid axle :rolleyes:

Brakes: Power-assisted four-wheel disc vented rear with anti-lock braking system.

Tires: Goodyear RS-A P255/45R19 front / P295/40R20 rear mounted on five-slotted-spoke alloy wheels (8-inches wide front / 10-inches wide rear)

Wheelbase: 116.0 inches
Length Overall: 191.4 inches
Width: 78.6 inches
Curb Weight: 4760 lbs <--- Holy Jumping Jeebus!

Fuel Capacity: 25.0 gallons
EPA Mileage Estimates: 15 mpg city / 21 mpg highway

Drag Coefficient: Not listed
0 - 60 mph: 7.6 seconds <--- AKA Slug-Mobile

Last edited:

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Clayeth said:
I've got a 97. I like the body style better... but the new ones are much nicer everywhere else from what I've seen/heard.

yeah it's quite the upgrade from a 96 Grand Am. I love the look of all Grand Prix's except for the early 97 ones that had no front grill but one below. Like they tried to take the older GPs and make it round and it didnt look good at all. That car moves and the default sound system is quite good for blasting loud volumes of Rob Zombie :D

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
Just offhand, but it's kinda ironic that Chevy and Pontiact share frames (Monte Carlo and Grand Prix are the same car with different body panels and option kits) Firebirds and Camaro's are even more similar, down to interchangable factory parts.

This is a process repeated in more than just american companies (Though the GMC Truck, Chevy Truck bit is the most obvious) Nissan/Infiniti does it, Honda/Accura does it (Though a little more obviously, since they never cared to make people think they were seperate companies), and a few more.

KJAX

Gamer 4 Life
Well, I know someone makes some good American cars. However, I don't want to own a big ass Lincoln or a small Ford Focus. When my '89 Pontiac Sunbird died on me a few years ago, I needed a car. So, I researched Honda and for some odd reason, I liked the Accord over the Civic. So my mother, being the one who actually pays the car payment since I'm still in college, looks for an Accord and finds a 2000 Honda Accord with 35,000 miles on it for $13,000. The car, at the time, was still worth $17,000. So, we grabbed one hell of a deal.

Now today, she drives the Honda mostly (I get it sometimes) while I drive her great old 1995 Toyota Corrolla (the most popular car in the world). Quite honestly, I like the Corrolla better. I think car manufacturers need to be careful these days when introducing their established models for the new car year. The Corrolla hasn't changed too much between this year and last year. And that, I believe, is a good thing.

Many car manufacturers, particularly the ones here in America, have forgotten what makes for a great car. And as a result, they have lost sales.

From my sister's personal experience with a Chevy Malibu, I'd say that Chevy has a lot of work to do. I'm here to tell you all now, avoid the Chevy Malibu.

Last edited: