Shoot where you sight

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shoany

Jun 13, 2001
Visit site
Hi all,
After having played for a few days now it seems to me that the randomization for where your shot goes has carried from 2.86. This might be premature, but is anyone working/done a mutator that makes it so you shoot where you sight?
IMO the randomization seems to lower the realism; not that I would know having never fired a gun. =)

Of course, I could just be way off base and you DO shoot where you sight, but i did a quick shoot-the-bullethole test and got a fair amount of variance.

Deathrow

known as LifeRow
Sep 24, 2003
As far as I noticed randomization only aplys when you don't hold your breath. When you do so (holding alt fire key) bullets go exactly where your aim is pointed.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Crowze said:
I didn't think there was any randomization at all. The new ballistics mean that, depending on how the weapon is zeroed, the bullets may got either above or below where you aim.

I think you can clearly see (on ACOG/Sniper Rifles) that the bullet doesn't hit where you point at - independed of zeroing issues (you'll also miss sideways) when not holding breath.

Also I did a lot of testing/ sniper training with bots just today I can't tell wether there is a certain pattern or its just random.

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
The scopes have been made harder to shoot with, but I found that when properly set up they shoot straight. Setting the shot up properly is anentirely different issue of course.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
So you are telling me that 50% of gamers are female? Or that 50% of military personal are female? Customizing is fine, as long as it stays within realistic boundaries. You may as well add children as well. In many countries you could expect to fight against children, so why doesn't INF have children. And many children play INF and dislike using adult characters. See how retarded female skins are? Sounds more like people want to use INF for masterbation purposes as well as a military simulation.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
jaymian said:
So you are telling me that 50% of gamers are female? Or that 50% of military personal are female? Customizing is fine, as long as it stays within realistic boundaries. You may as well add children as well. In many countries you could expect to fight against children, so why doesn't INF have children. And many children play INF and dislike using adult characters. See how retarded female skins are? Sounds more like people want to use INF for masterbation purposes as well as a military simulation.

:lol:

Shoany it actually does go where its pointed... sorta. When you are not steadying your aim the rear end of the gun sorta floats around. If it floats to the left your barrel is pointed slightly to the right, so thats where the bullet goes. I can actually time and place my long range shots without actually steadying my breath cause I follow the pattern and aim accordingly... Works pretty well for me. I rarely hold my breath if ever.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
NTKB is correct, it isn't random. I find it easier to follow the pattern with iron sights (and almost never hold my breath with them) because it is easier to watch the alignment. With the scopes it is quite a bit harder but still possible to reliably hit people without holding your breath.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
No randomness within the codes at all if you stand still. Even while not controlling your breath the gun fires where it is pointing at ... but then it is not pointing straight due to the movement. If controlling your breath then it fires exactly where the weapon is 'zeroed' on. Some weapons have a slight shift to the left or right but most have it dead center.

But, maybe our new forumer meant the little randomization while moving around and firing. Well in this case I can only say that it is meant to be that way... noone can align a weapon properly and perfectly while running around. The more you move around the more is the weapon and sight shifting and so the bigger your 'aimerror' gets too.

Shoany

Jun 13, 2001
Visit site
Ah thanks all for the replies... I didn't mean moving around (i'm well aware that shooting while moving = not hitting anything), and NT's note about the rear sight wobbling makes a lot of sense.

Another question: Would this same effect apply to scopes? Intuitively, it seems as though it would not.

And further: Are bulletdrop/wind/lead modelled in vanilla 2.9? I played 286/RAv2 for so long I can't remember if they were standard.

All these questions are of course inspired by playing kandahar with pistols. =D

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Shoany said:
Ah thanks all for the replies... I didn't mean moving around (i'm well aware that shooting while moving = not hitting anything), and NT's note about the rear sight wobbling makes a lot of sense.

Another question: Would this same effect apply to scopes? Intuitively, it seems as though it would not.

And further: Are bulletdrop/wind/lead modelled in vanilla 2.9? I played 286/RAv2 for so long I can't remember if they were standard.

All these questions are of course inspired by playing kandahar with pistols. =D

yes scopes wobble just like irons, look closely at the borders of the scope when your aiming you will notice a greyish area that shifts, this is in effect the "rear" of the gun.

Bullet drop is definately in Infiltration as well as "lead." If a target is moving and you shoot dead on and he is far away chances are the bullet will arrive in the area after he moved out of it. As for wind, no its not in the game.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Hehe, yeah forgot the welcome ... so Welcome! :) and thanks for clearing up what your question was pointing at.

Just for info: the scopes are made out of three freely and independant moving parts. One circle for the front, one circle for the back part and the 'crosshair' placed in the middle of them. While moving around you will notice that the resulting shape of it all will be an ellipse type thing and not a circle anymore. This leads to a misalignment of course. So if all three parts are 'aligned' then you will hit dead center. Else not.

But I guess this was already understood :)

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
If you get confused as to where your scope is actually pointing or whether it's properly aligned, you can use the LAM on the SG551 to help line things up. Of course going prone and holding alt fire will always work best, but if you're in a situation where you need quick follow-up shots, the laser will help you skip the "holding breath" process without losing much accuracy.