PDA

View Full Version : whats a good mech sim?

recon1337
11th Jan 2004, 12:18 AM
you guys know any good and "realistic" mech sims? you know, like steel battalion, except for PC. i tried mechwarrior, i thought it was too arcadey and the mechs looks boring, so i didnt like it. you guys got any ideas?

Big_Duke_06
11th Jan 2004, 12:49 AM
I'd be hip for a nice freeware/open-source mech game, too.

Matthew

Demosthanese
11th Jan 2004, 01:36 AM
Mechwarrior pre microsoft was pretty good. Try MW3 if you can find it. Don't know of
many mech games.

Edit: Check this thread at T.Com to see if anything pops up.

http://www.tournament.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126938

Vega-don
11th Jan 2004, 05:26 AM
theire is an awesome mech sim for XBOX, a japanese thing. it must be even better than INF. its very expensive though (if i remember it right it must be near 200$) . i seen a reportage about it.

for exemple when you buy the game you have a special interface a big joystick , and you need 3 buttons just to start the engine. and if you dont eject when you are criticaly hit , all your campaign and savegames are erased.

Demosthanese
11th Jan 2004, 06:30 AM
Would that game perhaps becalled Steel Battalion? Would that game also not be on the PC? RTFT next time :p

Vega-don
11th Jan 2004, 06:39 AM
dono the name

id rather buy a console + the game for playing mechs games

my post was "buy the console and the game and forget about mechs PC games"

TheShiningWizard
11th Jan 2004, 07:31 AM
my post was "buy the console and the game and forget about mechs PC games"
He specifically asks for a PC game, so you suggest he spends $400 on an Xbox and one game...

Recon: http://www.fileplanet.com/files/10000/10673.shtml
Link to EarthSiege3 demo. I've never played the game, personally, so I can't say for sure if it's too "actiony" for your taste, but it's about the only other PC mech series I've heard of.

Rostam
11th Jan 2004, 07:40 AM
I'm guessing halo boy already has an xbox ;)

I heard about that game as well, I think I've seen a demo of it and I hated it, it was boring. But the uber joystick they give you with it would rule.

Otherwise, go for MechWarior 3 as stated, I finished that one 3 times I love it.

Excelsiore
11th Jan 2004, 07:49 AM
Still in development but it might be a bit interesting:

http://www.starsiege2845.com./

Big_Duke_06
11th Jan 2004, 11:28 AM
I've always thought that a good mech game could be made as a mod to an FPS... Sure, it would be more action-oriented than sim-like, but think of the possibilities! Especially with an objective system like EAS. Or using the DoD/TTR zone-control map styles.

How come no one has done this before?

Matthew

Hadmar
11th Jan 2004, 11:53 AM
I've always thought that a good mech game could be made as a mod to an FPS... Sure, it would be more action-oriented than sim-like, but think of the possibilities! Especially with an objective system like EAS. Or using the DoD/TTR zone-control map styles.

Matthew
Mech mods exist, dunno about objectives though. I know off a Mech mod for Tribes 2 and one for UT. I can't remember the names, though, but I found this:
http://www.battletechmodproductions.com/list.shtml

spm1138
11th Jan 2004, 12:11 PM
ES3 is a bit more technical and involved than MW4.

If you can track it down and get it working you might find Heavy Gear 2 is an interesting take on the genre.

Unfortunately the sort of game you are talking about is pretty thin on the ground.

Feck only knows why, big robot games are uber cool.

I got Steel Batallion and it r0xx0rs. SB2 is coming out this year and it uses the same stick I believe (as well as being XBL enabled).

randomas
11th Jan 2004, 12:23 PM
Heavy Gear 2 is the best mechsim game I have ever played I doubt anyone still plays it online. I know most C7C used to be on HG2. Man I miss that game ... There's alos a very good linux version of it.

Ps. It may be hard to get it to run on anything more recent than windows 98

Rostam
11th Jan 2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah heavy gear 2! Man I lost my cd and couldn't find it on p2p programs :(

Does steel batallion allow you to customize your mech(s) to every detail?

spm1138
11th Jan 2004, 12:27 PM
Not really.

You've got weapon slots and you choose what goes in them.

Each slot can take certain kinds of weapons. What slots you have really depends on what kind of chassis it is.

Big_Duke_06
11th Jan 2004, 01:06 PM
So how hard would it be to make a mech mod on an engine that people actually play? Like HL or UT/UT2K3? This might actually be something to get me off my duff and learn some modding...

Matthew

recon1337
11th Jan 2004, 01:28 PM
i'd go buy steel battalion if i had $200. i really dig the mech design, a certain japanese style to it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_steelbattalion_loc.html

randomas
11th Jan 2004, 02:11 PM
I know a bunch of HG2 junkies (C7C again) are working on a HG mod for ut2k3 don't know what point they're at.

Maetschikk
11th Jan 2004, 02:30 PM
Steel battalion controllers:

http://www.technocothica.com/steelbattalionsetup01.jpg

:eek:

Vega-don
11th Jan 2004, 03:38 PM
great to see another video game made for the passion like inf

TheShiningWizard
11th Jan 2004, 03:38 PM

Matthew
There was Neo Cairo for UT (http://mods.moddb.com/1194/), but it never reached its potential, IMO.

spm1138
11th Jan 2004, 03:44 PM
BTW, if anyone is thinking of buying Steel Batallion give some thought to where you're going to set it up.

It really needs some sort of desk all to itself.

Since it screws together disassembling it between uses is more hassle than I can be bothered with, anyway.

G36
11th Jan 2004, 08:16 PM
Holy crap! That Steel Battalion kit is awesome!

You'd better hope you liked the game after getting that whole setup though ;)

Shrap
11th Jan 2004, 08:59 PM
I think Keichii has it iirc.

Keiichi
12th Jan 2004, 12:37 AM
Yep.

$200 for the Xbox.
$200 for Steel Battalion.
$100 for the desk.
$50 for the Monster component cable.

I played the game for about 4 days and never touched it again.

It's neat in so far as it's just about the most ridiculously in-depth mech (VT) sim ever developed. But the novelty wears off rather quickly and all you're left with is a fairly boring single-player campaign comprised of only 23 linear missions, the later half being nothing more than harder versions of the previous half. Once you beat those, with no multiplayer component, there's really no incentive to play it again save for showing off to friends.

If someone were to make a PC game with the same attention to detail, better texture quality and screen resolution, a lengthy and non-linear single-player campaign, and **A MULTIPLAYER COMPONENT**, I'd be on it like Michael Jackson on a 12 year old.

-Keiichi

Freon
12th Jan 2004, 01:44 AM
Keiichi, there will be a multiplayer player extension of the game. And I assume there will be a rebate for the ones who bought the original game.

mad_alien
12th Jan 2004, 04:54 AM
It's called Line of Contact, they should have added it in the beginning, glad I held onto my controller though.

recon1337
12th Jan 2004, 08:34 PM
so there's no pc stuff like this?

ninjin
12th Jan 2004, 09:39 PM
personally, i think its a pity that such game like Tekki (Steel Batallion) isnt ported nor developed for PC. The PC has a great potential, and the fact that there is a keyboard would make an immense difference to games revolving mechs. Being an anime fan, as well as gundam fan, keyboards tend to play a prominant role for the controlling of the mech, adjusting the stabilizers, foot pressure and mech OS... and other useless **** like that that would make it so indepth it would take more time to learn the game than play it :lol:

The PC already has joysticks, pedals, thruster kits, monitors, and etc, so why they dont port it, who knows. My guess is that it would require a LOT of memory to run it if you are looking for something at that detail, and multiplayer would be ridiculously hard, unless you happen to be a "new type" human....

Hadmar
13th Jan 2004, 01:50 AM
My guess is that it would require a LOT of memory to run it if you are looking for something at that detail, and multiplayer would be ridiculously hard, unless you happen to be a "new type" human....
Belive me, RAM ain't the issue.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,9967/

DEFkon
13th Jan 2004, 08:21 PM
Hey i had that game! (shuttle) Probably one of the best overall sim games i've ever played. But, Sims are a dying breed.. In general the more "realistic" or complicated you make a sim, the slower the pace of the game is. If it gets "too slow" then it's not actiony enough to be worth making it multiplayer because the average gamer is 10-20 and they have very low attention spans... the "MTV generation".