ok n00b questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
ok first game on XMP yesturday and I found myself in a whole. I was able to rocket jump out.

Why the feck did it go all white etc?

1 more, whats the best type of player to be when starting?

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Me thinks you shot a flashbang right into the ground :). If you actually hit someone with a flashbang right in the head (altfire with grenadelauncher as a gunner) he will fly off like hell!

Gunner is a good start because he's just about killing, basics. But after a couple of games I strongely advice you to specialize into the tech or ranger!

Check out Xmp knowledge Libary for advanced tactics and tips! Teh sticky in here!

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
Tech is good.. some nice weapons and an easy accesible class, turrets are easy to place and dont require a manual.. But after a couple of games I strongely advice you to specialize into the gunner or ranger!

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
TossMonkey said:
All the cool kids play as a ranger folks. ;)

Also everyone that thinks they're cool. (Yea I usually see a lot of rangers but that's ok :p)

I suggest using each class for a few maps to see which one you feel most comfortable with.

Yes, if your screen went all white with a ringing tone then that was a concussion grenade (one of the gunners two grenades).

Willing to answer all questions ;)

Anathema-

Oct 19, 2003
"Electric" (EMP) and Gas are the techs grenades. Check out my big tech guide, you can find the link in the sticky at the top ;)

I was hoping someone would follow up with ranger and gunner guides but I might have to learn some new classes and do it myself! (slackers :shake: ) :lol:

-Thud-

Custom User Title
Jan 6, 2004
Anathema- said:
I was hoping someone would follow up with ranger and gunner guides but I might have to learn some new classes and do it myself! (slackers :shake: ) :lol:

I don't really see the point. Both the gunner and ranger are relatively straight forward. I could prolly slap one together but it wouldn't be much more than a list of tips on how to snipe without missing and what weaps to use in what situations.

Anathema-

Oct 19, 2003
Guides of this type are more for new players of the game, as well as potential players. They would be able to get a good idea what the game has to offer. It would also be good for novice players to expand their ideas of a specific class. I see rangers that never use their smoke grenades, and I don't think I've ever seen a gunner actually use his concussion grenade.

There are people that just stay in the first couple weapons .. and I rarely see anyone healing anything (espically the gunners .. supplies are important!).

Straightforward or not, good guides will help the community grow and improve.

-Thud-

Custom User Title
Jan 6, 2004
Anathema- said:
I don't think I've ever seen a gunner actually use his concussion grenade.

That's probably because they suck :) Only thing they seem good for is hitting the node before you run in the artifact room. In a fight you're way more likely to blind yourself than the enemy. Usually your enemy takes maybe 2 seconds of a half white screen while you're running into walls and crap. You need to shoot them too far away from yourself to be any use in the majority of fights. The gunner needs to be in close and above to hit with rockets or get in with the flamethrower to be effective.

It's funny, the manual tells you to use concusion grenades to jump higher (like a rocket jump), but you have to look down to shoot it at the ground so you're going to take the full hit and be blind for 10 seconds or so. Plus you can't even see where you're flying.

Last edited:

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
behindview 0 learn to love it. If you switch to 3rd person you are no longer blind.

-Thud-

Custom User Title
Jan 6, 2004
So then if everyone else knows that doesn't it make it even more useless?

Edit: I just tested behindview 0 it doesn't seem to do anything.

Last edited:

-Thud-

Custom User Title
Jan 6, 2004
Maybe, but I tried both variables and a few extra, none of them worked.

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
i use them all they all have there uses depending on the map

learn the classes and u will have a far easyer time playing any posission

gunners are grate but a gunner needs to remmber he can reload himself as well as others
techs can rep shelds and place turrets
rangers heal and snipe

to have good team u need some of them all

there are times change classes just becouse nobody else will do it and we need that class to have good defence/offence

Status
Not open for further replies.