Ti4600 fan quit

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I was going to review a map and UT 2003 locked up. After finding a bad slot fan the other day, I checked the fan on my vid card. It’s not working. The gold fan that cools the circuit board is just sitting there still.

I assume I can get a fan for it locally, or something that will work. Does anyone know what I should do about a fan for this thing? Type, model, etc. Do I have to buy the exact same fan from the manufacture?

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
I ripped my Creative ti4400 fan off on purpose because it was too noisy, and replaced it with an old GF2GTS fan. It's not pretty, but it's done the job for over a year now.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Ruk, i think i'm using the drivers that came with it. It always used to come on the second i booted up.

007, thanks, maybe i'll order one, but i want something in the mean time.

Ulukai, do you know if it's a standard-sized fan? Like so many millimeters? Does a standard fan bolt right up, or do i have to go bigger and drill holes?

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
In the mean time you can use a different graphics card....or you can take the side off of your case and blow a box fan in the case. It should be enough air flow to keep it cool.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
You could use an old athlon duron\xp heat sink fan and drill holes into then thread the heat sink and attach it to the core with 4-40 machine bolts using the holes in the vidoe card that the original heat sink used, be sure to insulate the bolts from the board with some paper or rubber washers. Plug the fan right into the video card fan plug.
I`ve done it in the past in my quest for more FPS on the old GF4Ti4600.

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I just marked the heat sink from the back side of the card after I had it lined up with a awe(sp?) then drilled it after removing it.
But for $11.00...geez just order the one above...comes with l33t memory heat sinks too! :)

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yeah, i'll get the one you mentioned. I thought i could rig somethig up until it came, but now i see what you're talking about. i didn't realize that the fan was an integral part of the heat sink.

Last edited:

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I think you might be right. When i tried to buy it from the site you posted, i ran into a problem. I don't use credit cards, so i have to use my mother's card when i get PC parts online. I used Newegg for a lot of my PC parts when i built my 2100, and they still had the credit card info on file. It was just easier doing it this way.

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
The hardest part will be just getting the heat sink off the core without damaging the core. Look at the attaching pins that hold the heat sink down, most are a two piece design, usualy you push the center of the pin out from the back side then remove the whole pin from the heat sink side, once the pins are off, you can try more of a twisting action then a pulling to try to break the heat sink free. They glue it on with some nasty stuff.
Some people say they put it in the freezer and it helps, but I`ve never needed to do that. Clean the junk off the core and pollish if you want, and your ready for the new one.:tup:

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
i've already taken the vid card out and taken the heatsink and fan off to check it out. It stinks like burnt motor. I went ahead and put some compound on it and stuck it back on for now. It was easy to take off. I have a new saws-all. :)

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Rukee said:
oh-didn`t know...so I shouldn`t send you my air hammer to remove the glue from the core then??:con:

I have an air chisel I can use. I like to use air tools instead of electric tools so no electricity is introduced to components. Besides, it’s much faster torquing down case bolts with my half-inch drive Ingersol Rand impact gun. They seem to strip out a lot, but what the hell.

I just got my new fan/heatsink. I’ll mess with it later when i have some time. I've been looking forward to playing a few games and now I can. I guess you just use these stick-ems to attach the heatsink fins to the ram? I assume the adhesive strips conduct heat readily, or else why bother?

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Crap! I’m not having any luck with electronics lately. After borrowing the floppy from my new PC to fix my old one, I put it back in the new case and now it doesn’t work. The light is on all the time. I assume the cable is upside-down. However, I got a floppy error (error 40) and I’m pretty sure I flipped the cable the other way, and I still get the error. It looks like there is a 1 stamped on the side of the housing and the red cable is going to that pin. Could it be the 4-pin power cable, not the 40-pin cable or whatever? Also, could I have plugged in the wrong 40-pin cable? Are there different cables for a floppy compared to a HD? I know the power cable is different, but I’m not sure about the 40-pin. There is an outside chance that the stamped number means nothing and I unplugged the cable and plugged it back the same incorrect way.

Oh, one good thing: I did get my fan/heatsink installed and it seems to be okay. Haven’t tried a game yet, though. That’s when it was locking up.