Night shooting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Druing my first week of basic training, while I was guarding the tent at night, my platoon sargent passes by and tells me to flip the 'L' sight on my M16 to the center position (as in neither hole is being used). We're supposed to learn how to use it, of course, but I'd like to know now :p
Also, any way to have that kind of night action applied in INF? Along with night scopes and alike? Right now night maps are nothing other than a reason to increace brightness to the maximum and hope your screen's basic brightness is high enough.
While I'm at it, I can't change brightness in opengl mode, but it's possible when I use direct3d.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
OICW said:
The only thing close to what he said IMO is the larger rear sight aperture (sp?) that you use for night shooting or closer shooting. It's not modelled in Inf though.
No... When u flip between the wholes there's a mode "in the middle" where neither hole is used. I guess they'll teach us how to use that and then I'll explain :p

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I never heard of that...........I assume you are talking about the rear sight aperature?

When I went through basic in '87, we had the A2, and GENERALLY only used the larger aperature. Never heard of using it "in the middle". Doesn't mean that there isn't something to it, but I've never heard of it.

I've got an A1 and a postban HBAR Competition now, and don't know anything about that at all.........

This doesn't cover that, but this is all I could find: http://www.tpub.com/content/combat/14234/css/14234_84.htm

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Wow, two weeks into basic training, and you have access to the internet? Not only that, but time to peruse and post in these forums? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Good luck, and if you happen to find out what that's all about, lemme know, I'd be interested.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Hmm. I've not found anything in the mass of manuals I've collected regarding that. All I've found is that in some M16A1's, there was a tritium illuminated front sight, where the rear sight had two apertures, one for daylight, sighted to 300 meters, and a larger night aperture, meant for use with the tritium front sight.

Also, I do not remember (literally) dealing with this when I was in the service (ex USAF). The apertures were intended for diffrent sighting ranges. (Although I do remember the M16 I qualed with was VERY old, had no forward assist and it's buttstock had no trap for cleaning equipment.)

Meplat-

(Edited for spelling. I Blame the cervesas)

Grunt11Bravo

[AFA6]
Dec 20, 2001
US-Michigan
Night firing w/M16A1

gal-z said: .. Druing my first week of basic training, while I was guarding the tent at night, my platoon sargent passes by and tells me to flip the 'L' sight on my M16 to the center position (as in neither hole is being used). We're supposed to learn how to use it, of course, but I'd like to know now :p

Actually, you're not "flipping" the sight to either aperture. You move your sight forward or back halfway so that it sits on the flat spot. The rear sight now looks like a V with neither hole in line with your eye.

You're main focus is now the front sight post. You align the front post center mass on the target and squeeze the trigger.

This is a technique that isn't documented in the official M16 training manuals.

Another thing, keep both eyes open as you look for targets. Use your peripheral vision. Once you acquire your target, align your rifle, then (optionally) close one eye (I prefer to keep both eyes open) and fire. However, do not stare too long at your target with one eye as it will "fade" from your vision.

meplat said: ... (Although I do remember the M16 I qualed with was VERY old, had no forward assist and it's buttstock had no trap for cleaning equipment.)

That would be a plain old M16. The M16A1 had the bolt assists and storage compartment in the stock.

Last edited:

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Yeah, and AFA is "Armed Forces Association". From what I understood when looking over clans when I first started playing, they are made up of current and former military folks.

That's interesting info though. Thanks G11B. BTW, any other identifiers past the 11B? After I originally read the post, I checked both of mine, and fo shizzle, you can move the rear sight betwixt the two positions. I knew that just from fiddling with it at qualifications, but figured it was something mechanical, not for any purpose. Guess I wouldn't know that being a 31K eh? **Secret insider ground pounder techniques** ;)

I'm gonna hafta mess with that sometime this week........ :D

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Interesting idea. When night shooting with the L85 you always use the large appeture rear sight and you use the small appeture for day shoots, although the larger is used at close quarters in daylight too. The L1A1, if you had an old weapon (or a friendly armourer) you had a large appeture rear sight leaf to use at night and an additional small appeture leaf for daylight. With the usual single leaf rear sight you didn't put it up at night and fired how Grunt described at night.

Interesting the US Army still use the no rear sight method of night shooting.

Grunt11Bravo

[AFA6]
Dec 20, 2001
US-Michigan
5eleven:

Yes, 11B2H ASI: B4 & 11C2H. To save you time in looking it up: H = Instructor Qualified. ASI (Additional Skill Indicator) B4= Sniper Qualified.

PBH:

11B is the US Army's job skill indicator for Infantryman. 12 years 3 months served, US Army & Army National Guard.

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
LOL, I knew what ASI meant and what H and B4 were........ :lol:

Some I know, and for others that I don't know or remember, I have a handy ASI cheatsheet bookmarked. :lol:

Hooah.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Well we did some night shooting, and it was basically what grunt11 described. Unfortunately, you can't even see the front sight when it's dark, and I had to aim using only the "bridge" of the front sight while aiming low, or when I had enough light, put the "bridge" between the edges of the carrying handle, which is kind of made possible because their black colour worn out during many years of service (all M16A1s were bought in 1973).
When there is some light, u may actually be able to put the front sight so that its edge is right above the hardly-visible flattened-down rear sight.
there was a tritium illuminated front sight
I wish we had that :(

As for internet access, you are forgetting how small Israel is. I get home most weekends (leaving the base Friday morning or noon and going back Sunday morning).

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
I'd also like the NV because i hate the washed out look of the game on max brightness. Besides I know how to code NV so Im sure it's easy to implement it for you too.

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
:stupid:

WTF? LMFAO, Must've posted in the wrong thread. :lol:

But, in all seriousness, gal-z, I agree, the only difference is that a lot of times the dog will fly over the doghouse, and generally won't permit me to access the server, without a password and a balogna sandwich.

Does that answer your question?

:lol: