XP Probs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
Not enough RAM? XP is more system resource hungry than an os like 98, but the outgain is worth it if you have a good enough system.
If UT2003 is slower in an OS with fewer bugs and more cleanliness all around, I'd say it's because of your system.

What kind of specs are you running?

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
[TK]Alien said:
256mb RAM
Get another 256MB for a total of 512MB, that'll make lots of stuff run better!

[TK]Alien said:
i also get random RPC terminations which causes my pc to restsrt
Uh oh, you might have a virus. Specifically, you might have the Blaster virus. Update your anti-virus to the latest version and scan away.

Maddeh

Aug 19, 2003
SLC
www.goodgameogc.com
The RPC terminations I believe can be fixed if you go out and get all the latest windows updates as well.

Upgrade to 512mb memory too. Hell I noticed a big improvement from going to 768 from 512 even. I'm surprised you could even run it half decent with only 256 in win98.

And a new vid card wouldn't hurt, you know, if you've just got some extra money lying around... ;)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Each time your computer announces that is going to restart, click Start -> Run, and type shutdown -a. This will abort the shutdown. Then go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Find "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and double-click it. On the Recovery Tab, choose "Take No Action" for the first three options, and then click OK. This will stop your computer from restarting when RPC goes down, so at least you'll have time to fix the problem. Once you think the problem is fixed, make sure you change those three back to "Restart the Computer."

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Did you upgrade or did you format and install XP? If you upgraded, then you're probably going to have lower performance.

When performance is a priority, you need to be very particular how you install your OS and in what order you install the rest of your software (drivers, updates, etc.,) after the OS is installed.

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
I should just make a web page for this, I say it so much.

Install the newest VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

UNinstall your current video driver.

INSTALL a fresh copy of your video driver.

Enjoy.

[TK]Alien

Nov 5, 2003
www.tanclan.co.uk
thanx for all the tips guys...it was the blaster virus and i have now got rid of it along with 3 trojan horse viruses :)

i havb also baught a new firewall to deflect all the bugs :)

and imaginos i followed ur advice and now performance is back to normal :)

thank to everybody ;)