PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with resetting movers

Kyllian
16th Dec 2003, 02:02 PM
Here's the deal, someone on the CUT2 forums is doing a map for me cuz frankly, I can't map to save anyone's life. (You can find the full thread Here (http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtopic.php?t=2398))
The thing is, its for the Duel gametype of CUT2, and the movers are about the only thing the players have to stand on(since they drop into a lava volume soon after they land on the platforms) upon spawning
Now for the problem, accurately resetting the movers to their normal positions in time for the next round to start
Unfortunately, Duel doesn't call an event when the new round starts, so there's no way for the movers to reset from that

I had 2 diff ideas to get the movers/platforms to reset(copied from the thread)
This is more of a "can it be done?" idea. Do you think the map would be able to determine when one of the players dies(by frag or lava volume) and reset the platforms when such happens? He said "No it is not possible. Unless someone out there knows something about overriding movers and their paths... "
So that made me come up with this idea:
That just gave me an idea, could a trigger be set up just above the lava volume to start moving the platforms back up so they're reset for the next round?(Note: Duel takes a few seconds to start the new round, about 5 or so)

So, what can some of the skilled mappers out there tell me?
If you could post solutions at the CUT2 forums instead of here, I'd appreciate it, thanks :)

CoolDude
16th Dec 2003, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately, Duel doesn't call an event when the new round starts, so there's no way for the movers to reset from that So the 'Restarted' event can't be used?
How does Unreal know when to put the players back onto their PlayerStarts then?

Kyllian
17th Dec 2003, 02:39 AM
To be honest, I have no clue. That's what one of the CUT2 coders said

Mychaeel
17th Dec 2003, 09:54 AM
Try setting a PlayerStart's Event property. The game fires that event when a player starts there; you could use that event to reset the movers.

Kyllian
17th Dec 2003, 10:05 AM
That would work, except that the movers end up way the hell near the bottom of the map, and having them reset as the players spawn would do them some falling damage
Then again, the map is designed so that you have to use the grappler to keep from getting killed by the lava volume...
Actually, the platforms are there pretty much for the noobs to CUT2 that aren't familiar with the grappler

On a side note: Hows JB2k3 coming along? Will there be a beta before 2k4 hits shelves?

Mychaeel
17th Dec 2003, 10:23 AM
That would work, except that the movers end up way the hell near the bottom of the map, and having them reset as the players spawn would do them some falling damageSo would it help if the event was fired earlier than when the players respawn?

You can "connect" your LavaVolume (or any volume for that matter) to a Trigger by setting the volume's AssociatedActorTag to the trigger's Tag; then, the associated trigger will behave as if it was touched by a player falling into the volume.On a side note: Hows JB2k3 coming along? Will there be a beta before 2k4 hits shelves?I've just come back into active coding after a roughly five-month hiatus (induced by real life), and I hope we'll make progress at a reasonably fast pace now. :)

Kyllian
17th Dec 2003, 10:50 AM
And I hope to see a JB2k3 beta soon then :D
Never got to play JB on UT since I got 2k3 before I had a net connection and ended up quickly losing interest in UT