Realistic idea??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
This is movement orientated.

Not sure how this would be controlled (tap or summat).

But you could do a Dive.

It would mean that you simply launch yourself about 2-3 meters left or right and it would mean you lost a lot of stamina, and when u have no stamina and dive you loose some health (but never die).

And also, you would have to lie on the deck for a while, depending on how much stamina you have (it would have 2 be back to yellow before you could stand up).

This would be pretty real and would simulate an adrenaline rush to get out the way when you are being shot at and cannot get to cover.

Might save you sorry @$$ in some situations.

This would not be a clean roll or bullet dodge, it would be a mad attempt to get yourself out of the hail of bullets.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I think that if you are going fast enough when you hit prone, your player should dive no matter what. If you are walking or still, then he would simply lie down.

--The stamina lose would already be there from running fast in the first place, so an additional lose wouldn't be necessary imo. I agree that it should take an extra second to get your weapon into firing position after a dive though.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Yeah, but I seem to slow down to walk when I am shot (loss of stamina?)

Surely you wouldnt just stand there getting shot, would you?

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I doubt it's realistic. And prone is done real well in this version so I don't think there is a need for it.

By the way there was a 'dive' function in the previous version. Double tapping forward would make you dive forward a bit in to prone. I only saw it used twice, once it was still too slow. The other time a guy accidently double tapped and jumped right off a cliff.

Errr right, what I'm trying to say is that there is no real place for it anymore.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
I think i must have misexplained.

I find that when getting shot a lot it is hard to peg it behind cover cos of lack of stamina.

It would be nice if there was a feature where you could "dive" (or FALL, if you had little stamina) sideways, so only your feet were sticking out.

And not with double tap, thats annoying.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
The "dive" in 2.86 and previous versions was instant. You're going to need new animations, both 1st and 3rd person, so I'm guessing a mutator for 2.9 would require a bit too much work to be worth it. Might be something that the team would consider for future versions though. However, I fear as more and more features are added, it will be a jungle of different keybinds to be able to play effectively. We already have enough keys to bind as it is. In my humble opinion.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I think they've got it "ok" for the moment. I think that prone was probably done a little better in OFP & Ghost-recon.. It's probably all a matter of getting the timing for the transition to "feel" right. Initially the dive function was being abused because it was so quick. People would just dive into prone if they walked around a corner and bumped into someone.. Heheh. now i think it's a little slow.

I wouldn't mind having the transition going a little faster, if it meant that i couldn't use my weapon for a second. When i go prone it's a defensive measure. My primary concern is just trying to get my head down, not returning fire.

But i think for now it's fine.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
No I am talking about SIDEWAYS diving.

The anim would look like some sort of half hearted max payne sideways bullet dodge - but it wouldnt be as high or far. And you would land in a crumpled heap on the ground.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I agree that the action of going prone should be effected by how you're moving before you do it. In other words, if you're sprinting when you hit the prone key, you should do something closer to a dive. Not really a dive per say, more like just hitting the deck frantically. If you want to prone *carefully* you should have to stop runing, then hit the prone key once you're at a halt.

I don't know about sideways diving, I can't really see it. I think if you were going to jump off to the side you would probably turn your body to face to the side as you did it, so even though you would be "diving" to the side, your body wouldn't be sideways like Max Payne. Plus, of course, I don't know if this kind of thing is done in the military.

There was another thing I was thinking of though, maybe if you press side-step while proneing you could take a firing position lieing on your side, or atleast turn so you were leing on your stomach with your body pointed to the side but facing forward. This would seem more natural when you're trying to take a position where you're prone behind cover, peering out, cause sometimes the way it is now, you have to walk to the side of the cover, go prone, then crawl backward to tuck your legs behind the cover...it's kind of akward.

perrin98

Aug 17, 2000
If you're sprinting/jogging when you hit prone, you should fall to your elbows and then take 1 or two seconds to bring your weapon to bear. Any and all of the military guys here will agree, because we've all done too many section attacks...

Up she sees me down...Up she sees me down...

-LordPerrin