Bad Ping ???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falkeoriginal

Dec 11, 2003
Im from austria and the lowest ping i can find is around 150 ms.

Is it possible because its the american version ?
I can also join a german server, my ping is also bad.

The craziest => In LAN, its around 60ms ????

How is that possible ? :rolleyes:

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
the type of connection, a LAN connection is fast and direct and normal goes from a server > switch > your pc

a phone connection goes from your pc > miles of phone line > ISP > more phone lines/cables > server ISP > more cables > server PC

so the ping is a lot higher.

the 150 is quite good ping, nothing drastic :)

Falkeoriginal

Dec 11, 2003
Nope. I know how that works, but i have dsl and i can play ut2003, rtcw or et, whatever i want.
And at LAN a 60 Ping is poor. We all have a 100mbit card, someone a 1000mbit .
That cant be.... Programing Failure ?

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
i get 1340 range pings and no lagg so duno what to tell ya m8

try setting ur game for modem mode helped a server full of people mostly on cable/dsl the other night
the lagg went bye bye for all but 1 persion and he said his connection was **** so sall good

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Falkeoriginal said:
Nope. I know how that works, but i have dsl and i can play ut2003, rtcw or et, whatever i want.
And at LAN a 60 Ping is poor. We all have a 100mbit card, someone a 1000mbit .
That cant be.... Programing Failure ?

it depends on the pc being played on and the server and if bots are on or not and how many players etc etc :)

LANs i play ut on we will normally ping around 20 right through to 40ish if loads of people are playing.

Tatonka

Sailor Duck
Dec 14, 2003
Austria
I'm from Austria too and I have the same problem. The best ping I can get is between 150 and 200 on UK servers.
When I play Enemy Territory I get pings from 40-50, maybe there are still not enough servers out there for XMP?

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Falkeoriginal said:
Im from austria and the lowest ping i can find is around 150 ms.

Is it possible because its the american version ?
I can also join a german server, my ping is also bad.

The craziest => In LAN, its around 60ms ????

How is that possible ? :rolleyes:
Sounds like the LAN server is too busy to respond to the ping-like packets that the game is sending, so it's delaying them.

Pings by nature are relegated to a lower priority (just like SMTP), so if there's TONS of other traffic going on, or the server is too busy to respond right away, it'll cause a high ping in game (not as likely in DOS, but the same theory still applies).

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I also experience EXTREEMLY SEVERE problems with lag in this game. I live in Utah, and I can't find anything lower than 200. Every server I have joined it's the same story. I shoot with the sniper and it shoots an hour later. I can't drive the vehicles at all because it jumps about too much. Even the factory is giving bad ping. In ut2k3 I get 50 ping to the good servers. In XMP I can't hit a thing. Even when I host the server on my own computer and connect to it I get lag.

Last edited:

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
agin try modem mode for some reasion it helps think there are problems with the cable code and some isp's :/

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
TWD said:
Doesn't work. Changed to modem and nothing changed. I can't drive vehicles at all.

Are you playing the Demo, or the full version?

Cause if you're playing the Demo, there are alot of bad home launched servers out there.

And if you've got slight ping problems, vehicles are really awful, you always oversteer and crash.

Edit: what kind of Ram do you have? because it seems to me that XMP can clogg up your ram in a hurry...

Last edited:

Falkeoriginal

Dec 11, 2003
i have:
2,4 PIV
1 GB of RD Ram ( :D )
Geforce 4200 Ti (tomorrow MSI Geforce FX5900SP VTD128)

and im playing the fullversion. dont know, a ping of 60ms in LAN ?
unbelievalbe

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
weird i can even drive in most servers though the controls for driving SUCK IMHO
think a throdel would be better then GO or stop
if anybodys played starseige i think the tanks in that OLD game had the best solution to vehickel control if ya havent heard of it or played it you missed out THE BEST mech/tank game ever made bar none

funny it was put out in 97-98 and there are still a few players online playing it not as menny as there where but thats more due to lack of good no lagg servers and some game bugs then the game play

Status
Not open for further replies.