video lag

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

goldngun

Dec 10, 2003
i have some problems with inf, i can play single player (offline) perfectly fine and it runs smooth. but when i play online it seems like i hit these invisible walls. occationally my arms will be moving like im making forward progress but im not. and sometimes ill move somewhere and then suddenly appear back 10 steps. and i don't think its ping cause im at college with a t1 connection getting an average ping of 100. i have a laptop with a amd athlon 2700xp+, with 512 ddr ram, radeon IGP 320M 64mb graphics card.

i know it sounds like lag, it well my be, but please help me.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Have you configured the connection speed in INF menu well ?

If not , go to the Mission Menu , then Game Options , and at the bottom change the Internet Connection Speed to what you are using (cable/xdsl/modem etc ...)

It is very important , as a wrong setting can introduce lag even for high connection speed users

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Of course FieldMedic is correct. I exprience this often myself due to my poor connect. Running up the same staircase 10 times in Siberia is no fun. My team mates gets lots of laughs though.

What I find strange though that since 2.9 has come out I have not experienced this.

-Freshmeat

Eternally noob
Dec 4, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
As a dumb n00b, I would like to be pointed in direction for tweaking your netspeed. As far as I understand, you should set it as high as possible until packet loss occurs. Is that correct? Is there a way to see if the server has a max netspeed?

Thanks in advance,

-Freshmeat

WeeD.Falcon

Dutch by design..
Oct 13, 2001
The Netherlands
www.planetweed.de.vu
Most of the servers use 10000 netspeed, but the Inforces server uses 7000

no way to tell the netspeed if the server doesnt tell you ( as far as i know)

to change it from 10000 to 7000 pres tab or the console and type

netspeed 7000 or any number you want..

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Freshmeat: not really.

Take your connection speed e.g. 64000Kbps (ISDN) - for modems, use the actual connection speed you get, rather than the maximum (56k).
Divide by 2 to simulate up/downstream (if your connection has different up and downstream speeds, take the slowest and skip this step) e.g. 32000Kbps.
Divide by 8 to get KBps, e.g. 4000KBps.
Take away about 10% to cover the overhead needed e.g. 3600KBps.
Now go to the console and type 'netspeed 3600', and you're done.

I'll put this in the common problems thread.