Favorite mods/mutators (again?)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TechStorm

Jan 19, 2002
Puerto Rico
techstorm.beosmax.org
Hello All,

I'm sorta new around here. I used to play UT a long time ago, I took time off, and now I'm back. But I don't play online. I'm just OK with single player.

I want to ask you about your favorite mods/mutators... I guess it has been discussed before, but still!

Here's mine:
1. Bad News! mutator. Monsters spawn from dead bodies. Depending on how many frags since the last death will be the monster that spawns from the body. I actually modified to make it slightly more difficult and called it Armygeddon. I asked the Bad News! author for permission to publish Armygeddon but I decided not to, seeing how the difference was barely visible anyway.
2. Rockets UT rocks. I still think it could be tweaked a little more, but in general I rarely play without Rockets UT anymore.
3. RPUT mutator. (Role Playing UT.) I played with this so much I don't play with this one anymore. But it was nice. I even started my own Role Playing like mutator. I didn't progress much but I did achieve a nice messaging system where the messages queue and scroll right-to-left just above the bottom of the BUD, with a nice colorful pseudo 3D outline effect. :p
4. Unreal4Ever's Gauntlet mode. Rocket's UT Napalm should help clear these fast. :D
5. Monster Hunt. I really liked this one a lot but I don't play it much anymore because I got bored of the same maps (they are a few only).
6. Thievery. I don't play it anymore, but I really liked the originality of this. (OK, so it's based on Thief. I meant I liked the originality of Thief.)
7. Ultima Unreal. OK, so it's not been released yet and I'm just waiting for it. I eMailed the team the other day and it sure seems the mod will finish, but they hinted that it is still some ways off.

P.S. I also propose the Unreal Forge mod (any UT version): http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=122241

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Few maps for monsterhunt?
Heh, I have 51 maps for that mod right now.
But tbh, most suck :-/

Maps which came with the mod are among the best.
Especially mh-canyon and mh-lonely.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Sure.

-The great escape maps 1-6: best ones are 1,3,4 and 6 (imho)

They're very hard though. So I suggest you set a high nr. of lives.
Bots won't work. And eh.. it's not designed for bots at all. Purely for humans.

Other good maps...

Mh-Kittara (nice map. Works with bots)
Mh-gekokujou (good conversion of the assault level)
Mh-Demons (hard but fun)
Mh-Barrier (fun!)

Avoid the "the gauntlet" maps (and godzbeta)
These maps are not only ugly as hell, but whoever designed those doesn't understand the word "gameplay". Trust me :-/

NitrousOxide

Mar 19, 2003
UK
Visit site
Zeroping (2) mutator... Play online and aim exactly where you see enemies on your screen for hitscan weapons, regardless of your ping to the server.

Who Pushed me? mutator... If you hit someone with a weapon that then sends that player to their death (lava, toxic goo, oblivion etc), you get the credit for the frag, rather than it normally counting as a suicide.

Gladiator mod... Each player on the map gets a go at being the champion, being being a set number of lives. The rest of the players all take it in turns to challenge the current champion in a 1v1 duel, with the challengers rotating upon the death of the current challenger.

UTHarvestor mod... CTF with a twist! A skull generator is placed somewhere on the map, which generates skulls (surprising enough!!!) when someone is fragged. Take skulls of the others team's colour to their base to score.

Holywars mod... A halo randomly spawns on the map. The carrier of the halo becomes the saint, who can be given enhanced weapons and protection, while all the other players (sinners) have to try and kill the saint and then retieve the halo (only saint can score points).

If any other fun mods 'n' mutes spring to mind, I'll add to the list \o/

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
SoulHarvester - Get points for capturing the upwards floating soul of someone who's been fragged.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Kray said:
Assassins - You need to seek and assasinate one bot, while being hunted by another at the same time. Kill the wrong fella and loose points. This is what I play mostly these days.
This sounds like a pretty good mod to depart from the killing frenzy that is DeathMatch...

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
The mod that gives you the damn jets!
Capture the Xmas tree :p

I didn't realize there were such other ones out there until I read this thread.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Arena match mutator:

Select every possible weapon from the retail game (+ most mods) to play.
Say you want to play a game with exlusively the u4e katana, or golems' fists, or the ut chainsaw etc etc :O) get this mutator now!

lightsaber mutator.

size does matter: with each frag you make, you grow. With each time you're fragged, you shrink :D

Darkmatch mutator!

Corpsemania:
Frag the undead. Zombies, Zombie titans (small ones), big zombies, ghosts... they ignore bots though. Shame. So it's more a humans vs monsters game.

Last edited:

H0B

King of the Jungle
Dec 15, 2003
hob.hellsoap.com
There's a quick fix to get the undead to attack the bots: set all the bots to the blue team in bot setup and uncheck balance teams.

H0B

King of the Jungle
Dec 15, 2003
hob.hellsoap.com
They all on the blue team or team one?
I might just have a newer version that's different than yours though, but I thought they would attack bots on the blue team in the old version also(the bots names in the scoreboard should be blue)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, maybe it's a newer version...
I know when I'm in a room with my teammate bots all monsters attack me...
Bots die cause of two reasons:

-Suicide with rockets trying to frag an undead attacking me
-Being killed by a projectile which was meant to hit me ...

=B I'd love to see the undead take on the bots though

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Chaosut!! :D
In combination with the arena match mutator this can be fun. Playing with bastardsword only for example, simply rocks.
Bots seem to love that sword :D

Explosive arrows and those smiley grenades add to the fun.