Scale of «BuA» website

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
OK, I can't take it anymore!

Having the website at a fixed scale isn't just annoying, it is also short sighted. How can we expect everyone to use the exact resolution the website is optimized for?

How hard would it be to have the website dynamically scaled? Make everyone happy with how the website looks.

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
I'm not saying the website doesn't look good otherwise. I've also seen other websites that say "Best viewed with 'so-and-so' resolution", but they still filled the page (and I still don't see many sites that only use one resolution).

I don't know anything about web programming, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it. I'd have to assume that it has something to do with setting each item to take up a percentage of the width of the page, and keeping the height in the same proportion. If that's true, then the website stretches or shrinks to fit whatever resolution it is viewed in.

What type of programming are you using? Maybe I could look it up.

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
Ok, BC. Here's what I found concerning positioning/scaling. This info is from here , under the "Absolute positioning" area. I assume you did use absolute positioning, tell me if you didn't otherwise. The important thing to note is that you can use percentages of the height and/or width of the page to position items. What unit did you use?

"You can use absolute positioning to place an element at an exact location on a page. An element placed using absolute positioning remains at a fixed location relative to the top-left corner of the page. It floats on top of, or sits behind, text or other page elements.

You can place the element by dragging it to the location you want, or you can specify coordinates, which are relative to the upper-left corner of the page or frame the element is in, as shown in the example below.

The x- and y-coordinates of a page element

The position of the page element in Microsoft FrontPage

The position of the page element in a Web browser

If an absolutely positioned element is placed in a position box (position box: In Design view, a rectangle representing a page area with CSS positioning applied. The position box, which may contain any page elements, is visible only when Show All is selected on the Standard toolbar.), the coordinates are relative to the upper-left corner of the position box, rather than the page.

You can specify the coordinates of the page element relative to the upper-left corner of its container, in pixels (pixel: A single unit of measurement that your computer's display hardware uses to paint images on your screen. These units, which often appear as tiny dots, compose the pictures displayed by your screen.). You can also specify the dimensions of a position box by using the following units:

Pixels (px)
Font size (em)
X-height of the font (ex)
Inches (in)
Centimeters (cm)
Millimeters (mm)
Points (pt), where one point is equal to 1/72 of an inch
Percentage of the page height or width (%)
For example, you can set a position box to be the same width as the page (set Width to 100%), and 20 pixels high (set Height to 20 px).

When viewed at different screen resolutions (resolution: The fineness of detail in an image or text produced by a monitor or printer.), the element might not be placed as you intended, although the element still appears at the pixel coordinates you specified. When the screen resolution changes, so does the layout, since other page elements such as text are displayed differently.

Note Adding page elements by using absolute positioning with DHTML (DHTML: An extension of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) that adds multimedia, database access, and an object model that programs can use to change styles and attributes of page elements (objects) and to replace existing elements (objects) with new ones.) may cause either the DHTML effect or the absolutely positioned element to behave unexpectedly."

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
BC, I'm seriously trying to help. I think the website looks terrible like it is, and it seems like it wouldn't take much to change it. Can you please take a look at this stuff? I don't want to settle for "good enough", and I won't let you, either.