I just bought UT2003...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What have I missed until now :D ? Oh, and before you say I was dumb to get it when UT2004 is coming out next February, I'll just say thatr I got the best of version which only set me back a humble 16 Euros :p .

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
You were dumb to get it when UT2004 is coming out next February. ;)

Upgrade to version 2225, download Deathball, and sit here quietly until 2004 comes out :)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Hey, Doc, did you kick a dog when they told you Assault was back in 2K4? ;)

Can't wait for the mod, I've missed Assault terribly.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I saw that an independant mod was being developed (on http://www.utassault.net/ ). Has that been scrapped or did Epic/Atari using it as a basis for AS in UT2004 ? Will have a look at faceoff when I get back tonight :p .

Last edited:

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Hunter said:
or waits and try a game type u may have never players ;)
Mods are more played off line than on-line. I got 100's of emails of ppl playing offline thanking us and/or asking stuff. Our mod has FULL bot support.
TomWithTheWeather said:
Epic has created UT2004 Assault from scratch. Nothing about it has been taken/borrowed/bought from the mod community. And the best part is that it can't be exploited by rocket boost launching and such. No more 10 second matches. :D
Actually thats not true. They stole all our improvements without even one "thank you for ideas" email. :rolleyes:
But our mod is for ut2k3 so you dont have to buy ut2004 for sake of assault. Besides we will have 12 maps while ut2004 as only 6.

Last edited:

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Doc_EDo said:
Actually thats not true. They stole all our improvements without even one "thank you for ideas" email. :rolleyes:

These improvements you speak of are so blatantly obviously needed that anyone could have come up with them and seen how not having them would be stupid. While some features may be the similar, they were not stolen or copied. If Epic wanted anything from your mod they would have contacted to you about it.

It's like saying, "OMG Epic stole DM from Quake!" or "OMG UT2k4 stole vehicles from BF1942/Tribes/Halo!" or "OMG Epic stole FPS-style gameplay from Wolf3D!"

Every succesful game has basically been based on features a game before it had, with improvements. Epic didn't steal your stuff. Epic didn't care that you took Assault from UT99, or the maps. :B

Doc_EDo said:
But our mod is for ut2k3 so you dont have to buy ut2004 for sake of assault.

Unless, of course, you want Assault the way it should be. :p I'm not tring to bash your mod, it's just that from what I've seen it seems that your mod actually incorporates all of the exploit trick stuff as an actual gameplay feature. I think that is the main reason why UT99 Assault didn't have the following it could have. For example, people got fed up when Mazon was completed in a few seconds because somebody was launched into the fortress to kill the final objective first. I stopped playing UT99 Assault because of this. It just wasn't fun anymore. I look forward to fair and balanced games in UT2k4 Assault. ;)

Doc_EDo said:
Besides we will have 12 maps while ut2004 as only 6.

Most of which are copied/converted UT99 maps. I'd play UT99 if I wanted to play UT99 maps or broken UT99-style Assault.

Besides it's not like new maps can't be created by the community. While it may take longer to make a decent UT2k4 Assault map, the possibilities of what you can do are nearly endless out of the box. Though, I expect all the UT99 maps will be converted to UT2K4 Assault eventually.

UT2k4 Assault has full bot support, even the space fighters in AS-MotherShip. While the online community makes up a tiny fraction of the total amount of people who buy and play the game (or any game for that matter, except MMORPGs), the offline people will also have full support. :)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
While I'm not as eager to bash the old skool style as Tom, I have to admit I was opposed to the addition of rocketjumping when they discussed including it back into the mod. I thought it was a pretty cheesy exploit, it totally flies in the face of the idea of completing a set of objectives in order. As an old Insite reviewer, I used to bash UT99 AS maps if I was able to complete the objectives out of order. [/shameless self-promotion]

That said, Doc and his crew seem to have done an excellent job converting Assault for UT2K3 (I think they would say they were doing a conversion and not re-inventing Assault) and for the improvements they have made. I'm very anxious to see the final result. I loved this gametype and was sorry to see it go (and happy to see it return!)

Last edited:

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
I agree. They have done a good job at recreating Assault for UT2003 and I don't object what so ever to this mod. I was disappointed that UT2003 didn't have Assault, and I am glad that Doc and his crew are doing a good job of making Assault2003 possible, even if it does contain a few potentially "hazardous" gameplay features, IMO. :)

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Doc_EDo said:
I'd love to stay here and chat with complete n00bs but I dont have time for that.. :rolleyes:
You do know Tom works for Epic, right? And so he would know better than you what Assault should be like?

Speaking of noobs...... :rolleyes:

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
Your mod is based on EPIC's gametype, not your own. The improvements made to Assault for 2k4 were all obvious ones just like Tom said. It was very clear what was wrong with Assault in UT1. It is not like you created a whole new gametype and Epic decided to copy it. :hmm:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Buying UT2003 ... Assault in UT2004. Interesting transition :D .

Well, all I can say is that I was flabbergasted when I saw what incredible stunts some players on utassault.net are capable of. To not be able to do stuff like this in UT2004 AS means there won't be any "wow" factor. Wow is something that sometimes attracts new players :p .

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
They ARE COMPLETE noobs, because you DONT NEED to KILL all the FUN parts like impact jumping and launching your teammates, you just have to map correctly protecting objectives to ensure they are done is order.
My experience of 2 years of being and assault player and mapper, communicating with members of leagues and public players about weeknesses of AS outweighs experiance and knowledge of anyone that only maps for Epic and has played 2-3 AS games.

Last edited:

Lewis

May 1, 2003
i seriously doubt your mapping "experience" is better than some people's work in the community... and i know that quite a few people will actually back me on that

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Doc, ok stop this ****ting pimping, just aint working when all of us here know that the Epic guys know the UEngine back to front and know how to work it.

The Epic guys will probably have played all their assult maps between themselves so they know what they are doing.

Also as said Tom works for epic so listen to him, and stop digging your own grave. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.