What is the Best BR map?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

allanon103

Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
I love playing BR, but all I see on the new map packs are DM and CTF maps. My question is: what is the best BR map or BR maps that I must have?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Unfortunately, there's a reason you don't see any BR maps in map packs.

Nobody plays it.

There is one in the Community Bonus Pack. I can't say it plays all that well though.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
IMO that map was actually the worst in the pack, and i have never seen it actually played online...not even once

if you play br online, the only maps you're going to see played are maps that came with the game and arena maps....for a very simple reason: not one good non arena map has been made for bombing run in the entire time this game has been out

and the reason for that is equally simple, we have no good mapmakers who are willing to help the br community

really how is the br community supposed to expand on just the 10 maps that came with the game (of which about 5 are worth playing) and about 5 arena maps (the only ones that have ever caught on)

some people think the changes being made to bombing run in 2k4 will save the gametype, but br doesn't need changed as desperately as it needs maps....if we get gyped on maps like we have in the past, it'll never catch on

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
the reason BR is gyped on maps is because it's no fun to play anymore. Map makers make maps for the gametypes they play, and none of them really play BR. Hopefully the changes being made to it will help reverse that.

Da RicK

Stubid newpie
Apr 26, 2001
Next to Santa
m&ms said:
IMO that map was actually the worst in the pack, and i have never seen it actually played online...not even once

if you play br online, the only maps you're going to see played are maps that came with the game and arena maps....for a very simple reason: not one good non arena map has been made for bombing run in the entire time this game has been out

and the reason for that is equally simple, we have no good mapmakers who are willing to help the br community

really how is the br community supposed to expand on just the 10 maps that came with the game (of which about 5 are worth playing) and about 5 arena maps (the only ones that have ever caught on)

some people think the changes being made to bombing run in 2k4 will save the gametype, but br doesn't need changed as desperately as it needs maps....if we get gyped on maps like we have in the past, it'll never catch on

ok... im willing to take the challenge of making one...
but only if you can tell me exactly what aspects makes a br-map fun to play

if you react fast enough, ill try and make a good start this weekend

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
In many ways, BR map flow shouldn't really be all that different from CTF map flow. Goals at each end, the ball in the middle, spawn points at opposite ends, weapons nearby but more powerful weapons somewhere off where they have to work to get them, multiple routes into and out of the base... and of course, chances are you can just design half a map, copy paste reverse done.

I would recommend making the maps with only a handful of open areas. Anubis and IceFields are great examples of how a single player can pass to himself ad nauseum and score :rolleyes: whereas Slaughterhouse has a lot of places where there isn't a lot of room to do that. Same with Disclosure. And whatever you do, please don't make it like BiFrost where if own team shoots it into goal it doesn't reset. Either make the goal open in the back, or put a KillZone behind it.

Hey, why don't we take some of our CTF maps from FragBU and adapt them for BR? I wonder if any of the regulars would go for that...

Limited

UTAN Director
Aug 2, 2003
www.multiplay.co.uk
Just make sure its fast paced and the fps isnt low. Also have it mostly open or big rooms, if you want an example of a bad BR map look at BR-Canyon, never in any maplists as its too open, same as BR-DE-Elecfields, just far too open, you can throw the ball from one end of the level to the other (With aid of a shock rifle of course ;))

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
omg never mention slaughterhouse again, thats the worst br map ever, everyone hates it, and it never gets played

if by some miracle it does get voted in, everybody just leaves and finds another server

the maps that get played are anubis, disclosure, and twintombs

skyline doesn't get play because its lowgrav, and flying around for 10 minutes while being shot at isn't pleasurable

elecfields and bifrost dont get voted in because they're too big and it takes too long to get around

icefields is almost perfect, problem is that its too hard to score.....our clan had a scrim there just last week, 20 minutes and we went into overtime at 0-0.....10 minutes later i managed a 3 to win the game

EDIT: oops, almost forgot canyon.....which as he said is too open....but it actually would get some play if it didn't hurt your fps so much

Last edited:

[Ci]Necro

Dec 8, 2002
www.clanci.net
m&ms said:
icefields is almost perfect, problem is that its too hard to score.....our clan had a scrim there just last week, 20 minutes and we went into overtime at 0-0.....10 minutes later i managed a 3 to win the game

IMO, that's what makes icefields such a great map.. you have to work your ass off and have great teamwork in order to score...

[edit] plus, its more of a 3 pointer map, very hard to get 7, so practice huckin the ball thru the goal from various parts of the main base area [/edit]

Last edited:

Da RicK

Stubid newpie
Apr 26, 2001
Next to Santa
sorry my reaction is a bit late but out of all the weeks i have, i accidently chose this one to be extremely ill, so no, i wasnt quite in a mapping mood

with a bit of luck, i can have a shot at this in x-mas vacation