PDA

View Full Version : Weapon animation prob in ED

2nd Dec 2003, 08:37 PM
I'm having difficulties getting my weapon to show it's animation in unreal ED (UT2k3) My .PSK model file contains a set of hands grasping a gun.

------------------------------------------------------------
Here's how I set up the MAX 5 file:

-arms are boned/skinned & animated (These animate fine in ED)

-The Gun(composed of separate animated objects linked together)(not boned/skinned) is 'Linked' to one of the bones in the Hand so that the gun follows the animated hand.(It does indeed follow the hand correctly when in ED).
But the animation on the gun itself(Trigger Pull) does NOT show up in ED

What's preventing the Gun animation from showing in Ed?

chip
4th Dec 2003, 01:28 PM
from the way you've described your weapon, you probably need to make it a skeletal mesh.

without a skeleton for the gun, the engine doesn't know how to animate the gun mesh(es). non-skeletal mesh animations are coded into the game differently (they're known as vertex animations). if you're using ActorX to generate the files for import into UEd, look into how it can be used for vertex animations.

better yet, i suggest you try using a skeleton for the weapon animations if at all possible. check the weapons models visible in the Animations browser using the View->Bones option, to see how various weps skeletons have been made.

4th Dec 2003, 10:07 PM
Hey thanks for the advice, it seems to be the way I'm gonna handle it. As a quick test I added a bone then skinned an object to it & it actually animated in ED along with the hands. :)

I have yet to add other bones for the remaining objects that make up the gun, but I see no reason why there would be any problems

The way I'm thinking about doing this is: add a bone for each individual gun object (trigger,bolt etc...) then Link them all to the main body of gun.

When I get time I'm gonna try it & see if everything works together

Radiosity
5th Dec 2003, 07:37 AM
The way I'm thinking about doing this is: add a bone for each individual gun object (trigger,bolt etc...) then Link them all to the main body of gun.

You think correctly :) You need a primary root bone called Bone_weapon which should be located in the pistolgrip of the weapon, then add additional bones to this for your other animated parts (Bone_Trigger, Bone_Bolt, whatever, it doesn't matter what they're called as long as you reference them correctly in your scripts). And be sure to set up your envelopes when you've applied physique so you don't get unwanted deformations of the weapon.

6th Dec 2003, 02:56 PM
Yes, things worked out as planned & wanted to say thanks again for heading me in the right direction.

Heres what I did:
Skinned each object to it's own bone, linked all those bones to the main body of the gun, then linked the main body to a bone that is used to align & orient the gun assembly(Gun was created originally in it's own file) to the hand. It works!