PDA

View Full Version : Textures are rendering poorly.

TheArtfulDodger
27th Nov 2003, 04:04 PM
Textures that render properly with the UT2003 Editor appear in the Runtime Editor and in Runtime Player to have large blotchy patches.

I've considered a possible problem with my textures but the "GreySkin" texture which is native to the Runtime editor also appears blotchy.

I tried adjusting lights even running with ambient light only, but the problem persits.

Full bright renders the textures clean with no artifacts.

Vito
5th Dec 2003, 02:05 AM
I've considered a possible problem with my textures but the "GreySkin" texture which is native to the Runtime editor also appears blotchy.

What video card are you using? Have you upgraded to the latest drivers? Have you tried not using DXT1 and using DXT3 or 5 instead?

It sounds like you're using an older video card with a DXT1 rendering bug.

TheArtfulDodger
8th Dec 2003, 02:54 PM
Thank you for your input Vito.

You were right about the problem being the video card.
It's was a Radeon 9000 series 128mb with the latest drivers and directx9,
however it has given me problems before, it's time to replace it.

I'm looking forward to the non-game licenses and hope I can afford to get one.

rodrigoelp
4th Feb 2004, 11:11 AM
Directx have some problems with the newest video cards cuz try to implement some "card code supported" to speed up the performance of the software...

http://udn.epicgames.com/Content/TextureSpecifications

Radeon and Nvidea use opengl in its video card, if you are having problems with your software and you can change the video driver (used in the software) to opengl, then do it ;) ... your card is just fine... (but hey!, if you have money to buy a brand new one, would be not bad)

oneirotekt
5th Feb 2004, 09:38 PM
Actually, if you're using those textures in a level, and the lightmap is set to DXT1 or DXT3 with Dithering (check the lightmap section in the build options) that might explain the blotches... dithered DXT1 lightmaps can look pretty assy, so try RGBA8 and do light rebuild. If it's not that, it might indeed be something hardware related.

Mayaboy
8th Jun 2004, 08:10 AM
Actually, if you're using those textures in a level, and the lightmap is set to DXT1 or DXT3 with Dithering (check the lightmap section in the build options) that might explain the blotches... dithered DXT1 lightmaps can look pretty assy, so try RGBA8 and do light rebuild. If it's not that, it might indeed be something hardware related.

Had the same problem, and this works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

-MB