Favorite weapons from FPS games.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
What are some of your favorite weapons from First Person Shooters you've played?
Name the weapon, what game it was from, and why it rocked.
Please only list ones from commercial games and their official expansions, not from mods. Thank you :p

Flak Cannon, Unreal series
Possibly the only gun in the series I've never NOT liked. Nothing's more satisfying than watching the bloody chunks of a Skaarj who was inches away from slicing your throat scatter across the room after sending a huge load of searing hot metal shards into its belly.

FG42 Paratrooper Rifle, from Return to Castle Wolfenstein
In my opinion, this has got to be the single best all around weapon in the game. It may have a relatively low rate of fire, but its crazy powerful, has a scope and is quite accurate at long ranges. Plus it looks pretty damn badass imho.

Chainsaw from Serious Sam: the Second Encounter
Best. Chainsaw. Ever. Its big, its bad, and it chops down trees. It also shredded most enemies like they were nothing..... and it was pretty freaky when those pumpkin guys chased you with them too :D

I'll add more later maybe. Your turn.

Last edited:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Cerebral Bore from Turok
Brilliant and fun. There was nothing quite like tracking down your enemies only to watch a ham size screwdriver going into their skulls. Best sounds ever attached to a weapon.

Flame Wall from Rise of the Triads
Most unique flamethrower ever

Proximity Mines from GoldenEye
Started a legacy for FPS games, and there was nothing that was more fun than lining three of these down a hall as you were being chased.

Double Barrelled Shotgun from Doom
Gimme some sugar, baby.

Pipe Bombs from Duke Nukem 3D
The forefather to the proxi nades, and one of best traps you can set for a friend

Snarks from Half-Life
Annoying and mostly useless, but they were a lot of fun.

P90 when first introduced into Counter-Strike around Beta 3
For a brief moment, there was a weapon that once again felt like a real world weapon in that game ... until it was nerfed because the LPBs felt it was too powerful. RIP little buddy, RIP.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Flamethrower from AvP2
Thats right baby! Complete ownage, and it spits fire! I suppose I like it cause of the way it shoots... A big jet of flame and not that lofty flame tosser crap you see in other games.

Brick from Timesplitters 2
Its a brick... Who else has made a brick a weapon? The mission where youve gotta break 40 windows with 40 bricks was one of the more satisfying missions in the game.

Banana from NOLF2
Nothing will ever top the first time you hit a chummer with a banana as theyre taking off with the Core in doomsday. Comedy Gold.

Wrench from System Shock 2
One of the two weapons in the game that dont ever break, thank Jeebus. With the right OS Upgrades and a high enough strength theres almost no point to keep those bulky ass guns around. A swift whack with a wrench should fix almost any badguy's problem.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Railgun from Shadow Warrior
It's a railgun! It had a really good feeling of power, shooting through stuff and gibbin' them.

Riotgun from Shadow Warrior
Probably my favorite shotgun in existence. Killed lots of stuff in one blast, and if it didn't, chances are the secondary function of firing all four barrels in rapid susccession would. It had cool sounds, too.

Sword from Shadow Warrior
"I like sword. That's a personal weapon." You slice people in half and watch blood spray! Yum!!

CMP or something, maybe with "Calisto" or something in there o_O from Perfect Dark
Good sub machine gun. Yeah. I just like the feel or something.

Bunch of stuff from the Turok series
Yeah.

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
SMG from Wolfenstein 3D
It's perfect. You could fire one shot, or mow down a group of Nazis!

Sniper Rifle from Halo
That's a great gun. You can drop a lot of badass baddies with a couple shots. And thats at short range.

Colt with a scope. From the older versions of CS
Silent. Flashless. Zoom. Shoots through walls. Can't beat that.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
The Minigun from Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I really didn't like the game too much but that minigun was one bad motherf.... yeah.

That one needs to be made for UT2K3. Model and all. That would rule.

8mm_BuLLEt

I will rule the world!
Nov 3, 2003
South-south-west england
Visit site
Hmmm.... let me see.... aha!

Plasma Gun from Quake III : Arena
Fast firing nice little gun which is enough to mangle your enemys.

Warthog Minigun from Halo
Real nice minigun thats fitted on to the back of the Warthog. I only have the demo, so I know nothing about any tank weapons....

Railgun from Quake III : Arena
The main weapon on servers that host a railgun match. Instant kill. Amen.

M16 from Soldior of Fortune II : Double Helix
A nice and pretty powerful gun which also coughs out granades at people when you want it to.

Springfield Sniper from Medal of Honor : AA
Since I love sniping, and also nailing headshots and getting discovered by everyone by doing so, this is the weapon for instant kills, however it sometimes takes 2 hits, and its not exactly as accurate as you'd think.

Redeemer & Minigun from UT2003
Mmmm, warheads.

The minigun. Ahh, where to start, the silver prince. Heavy weapons guy's choice, I'd say.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
more!

Aeresol Can + Zippo from Blood
This was the damned coolest flamethrower I've ever used..... probably because it also doubled as a molotov cocktail with its alt fire... plus lighting civillians, cultists and mimes on fire rocked.

FlareGun from Blood
Yep. More fire. Only this time with some range, and a nasty sadistic delay before the victim burst into flame.

@Wong: Bannannas! hell yeah!
@Reg. Perfect Dark's Proxies were better. They stuck to people ;)

8mm_BuLLEt

I will rule the world!
Nov 3, 2003
South-south-west england
Visit site
Banshee Duel Plasma rifles from Halo
Woohoo! I love Plasma rifles, exept for they overheat if they arn't banshee ones.

Wrench & Crowbar from Half-Life
Painfully powerful and malishously meelee. 'nuff said.

Lightning gun (or whatever its called) from H-L : Deathmatch Classic
Continuous firing, this beauty calls down the thunder. Too bad that you can't find much ammo for it.

Minigun from GTA : Vice City
The most powerful weapon known in the time of Tommy Verceti, the "master of crime", you could destroy a building with it. Fires a bullet at somthing like every 0.0045 of a second, and can SIRIOUSLY carve someone up.

That 10-bullet-to-the-clip Sniper rifle from Medal of Honor : AA Spearhead
Real nice sniper, does not do a great hunk of damage, but enough for the amount of bullets that it carries in a clip. I lurrrrvvveee sniping, so although I do, I can't ALWAYS nail a headshot with this. Why? I don't know.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
8mm_BuLLEt said:

Minigun from GTA : Vice City
The most powerful weapon known in the time of Tommy Verceti, the "master of crime", you could destroy a building with it. Fires a bullet at somthing like every 0.0045 of a second, and can SIRIOUSLY carve someone up.

Too bad it doesn't actually hit what you're aiming at. More often than not, when I'm sweeping an area with it, it inexplicably starts firing on a very sharp upward angle. Sometimes it fires straight, but never when you need it to do any good. It blows hard.

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
The M.U.L.E. from Gunman Chronicles
Most of the guns from this game rock ass. Especially with the customizability of it all. Like setting the gun to launch homing missiles on lock that explode in proximity to the target in a cluster fashion. Or how about firing a 2 rockets in a spiraling motion that turn into trip mines that explode when tripped. In total, for the Multiple Unit Launch Engine, there are 48 possible combinations of ways to kill your enemies.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I think also must pay homage to the BFG1000, which wasn't that great of a weapon or design - but introduced the idea of a "superweapon" and without which we wouldn't have the Redeemer, Cerebral Bore, etc.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Shogo - SqeakToy
ROTT - Hand of God
- Dog-Mode)
Serious Sam - Minigun

Most of the better weapons I know of are from non-fps' the silly idea of balance has turned most FPS weapons into cap guns.

Last edited:

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
I say game balance is a mappers problem. Not a coder's problem. If a weapon is a little too powerful, don't place 50 of them 50 UUs apart and have the community bitch at US for unbalance.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
I like balance to a certain limited extent. I just don't like uber balancing everything to perfection like the "pros" always force people to do, since this level of fine tuning is often purely a matter of opinion.

Additionally, I somewhat agree with Neuro on the mapping point. Weapon placement in a map affects gameplay balance more than anyhing.

8mm_BuLLEt

I will rule the world!
Nov 3, 2003
South-south-west england
Visit site
Nemephosis said:
Too bad it doesn't actually hit what you're aiming at. More often than not, when I'm sweeping an area with it, it inexplicably starts firing on a very sharp upward angle. Sometimes it fires straight, but never when you need it to do any good. It blows hard.

Hmmm, you say so? Then your copy must be corrupted. Mine shoots at the angle I point it at, and stays at that angle.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Ammo placement also has a big factor in how much a weapon can dominate a map. People wouldnt complain about the mini as much if ammo for it was a bit more difficult to come by. Of course the Flak is gonna seem a bit spammy if people know that they can just run around and pickup almost endless amounts of ammo for it.