New Mapper-Questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SanitysEdge

Aspiring Astrophysicist
Hi, im am new to mapping. I prefer to map for UT '99 becasue UT2K3 dosent have as much mods and shuch. Anyways im making a map based for the mod "StrangeLove". I have the overall concept of the kind of map I want: A big open area wih platforms that have lookouts and some other stuff. Since I am new to mapping I have some questions.
1.How do I make unbreakable glass that you can see through?
2.How do I make platforms that move up and down when a player steps on them (Movers is what i belive there called)

atropos

The One and Only
Aug 24, 2003
Belgium
1/Just make the texture invisible or something.
2/Choose your mover in the Static Meshes menu, then click the Add Mover Brush on the right side of the main window. It should be a purple brush that shows up. Then place it where you want it to start (where peeps should get on), right click, choose Mover -> Key 1 from the drop-down box. Now drag the brush to where you want it to bring the player and click Mover -> Key 0 (Base). Normally, it should the go back to the Key 1-point.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
MegaManInferno said:
Hi, im am new to mapping. I prefer to map for UT '99 becasue UT2K3 dosent have as much mods and shuch. Anyways im making a map based for the mod "StrangeLove". I have the overall concept of the kind of map I want: A big open area wih platforms that have lookouts and some other stuff. Since I am new to mapping I have some questions.
1.How do I make unbreakable glass that you can see through?
2.How do I make platforms that move up and down when a player steps on them (Movers is what i belive there called)
UNbreakable glass... just create a mover and turn off ALL of its trigger properties so it never moves (you might also be able to do this with a regular solid but I'm not sure). Set the surface property to Transluscent and apply a glassy texture. It's been a while since UEd 2 but I think that's all you need.

For a mover... first, subtract ALL the space you require for the mover. Example, if the mover is 8 units high and you want it to be level with the floor, subtract 8 units BENEATH the floor so it has a place to rest, and all the X,Y area from the bottom to the top of where you want it to go. It must all be cleared out or you will have collision problems.

Create your platform in whatever fashion you wish (I usually build the shape out of simple polygons in a "garbage" room, intersect a red brush to match the completed shape, then add the shape). Add the mover with this button and place it where you want it to go. Then you have to set the positions, default is position zero and the place where you want the mover to go is position one. Set your properties of the mover to tell it how fast to travel, how long to stay before returning, what happens if someone gets under the mover (squish, return to top, whatever), etc.

That's a really really rough idea of how to do movers, but without UEd or my docs in front of me, it's the best I can do for now.

Attachments

• button_mover.jpg
    button_mover.jpg
    707 bytes · Views: 21

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
Out of curiosity, is that same trick recommended when you want to use solid masked texture? E.g., if I have a catwalk and I want a wireframe floor where you can see to the level beneath you? I know there's the solution that relies on semi-solid brushes set to be invisible, but it seems rather inelegant.

This is in UED2, btw.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
the semi solid invis brushes on top or below the sheet with the masked tex is the normal way to do it in ued2, does look a bitmessy but thats really the way its suppose to be done
in theory you could use a visible semi solid brush, and give it a grate tex, but then the lighting wont fall trough it anymore, the area below will be dark as only non solid things and invisible brushes let light trough

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
Right, right.

Interestingly enough (and I don't really mean to hijack this thread, but as the original question was answered), what's the best way to do it in UED3? I know the semisolid trick still works, and all static meshes are treated as solid. But why is it that if I create a grate with a sheet and try to convert it to a smesh in UED3 that light never shines on it (it remains pitch dark)? A person once told me this is a bug in UED3, but I'm not so certain I'm not just missing some flag in the smesh properties. :)