UT2k Sound problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Feb 26, 2001
England
Anyone else have serious problems with the 'positional' sound in UT2k?
In the game intself and mods I find it very hard to tell where a sound is coming from, I've tried runing the game in Hardware and Software sounds with no real difference. I'm using a ****ty old SB Live Value card, but it should do the job - shouldnt it?

I have no such problems with games like Q3 and HL (and mods), as I find it very easy to locate the exact position of someone from sound using headphones.
Anyone else have the same problem? Or could you accurately shoot people through walls if UT had wall penetration?

[GD]]v[aelstrom

Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
Well Hardware Mode actually only enhances Sound.....does not give possitional sound. For that you need EAX capability. Not sure if your card supports it. Also EAX takes ALOT of ram an CPU up. But if ya get it running it give full possitional sound.

I use EAX on mine, running a SB 512 PCI card. But i have 1 gig ram and a 2.2 ghz cpu. But Hardware Mode is not the same as what EAX does.

Feb 26, 2001
England
I can run EAX, but isnt EAX just the poor 'enviromental' sounds by creative? I've always known this to be a waste of CPU time and its usually badly implemented.

My question that anyone can respond to: Do you find it easy to identify the source of a sound in UT2k? Can you hear something and figure out exactly where it is coming from consistantly? To me it feels like the positioning is very blury, so it could be coming from anywhere....

[GD]]v[aelstrom

Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
Well i have only 3 speakers ( left, right, sub woofer)....i can tell if someone is coming from the left or right.
If its like behind or infront....i hear it in both left an right speakers equaly.
sometimes i find its easyer when you like, hear it from the left.....turn left a bit till ya hear it from the right more.....then zero in on it till its infront of ya.
Most games are this way.....unless you have like full suround sound system and a really good machine to back up a good sound card.

Feb 26, 2001
England
I use headphones, and I in Q3 or HL based games I can almost instantly work out where a sound is relative to my position, perhaps I need to tilt my character a couple of degrees to zero in, but I'm usually very accurate. In UT2k I cannot do this! I cant remember having this problem in UT.

[GD]]v[aelstrom

Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
Not sure then....your Sound drivers might have gotten some part of it that UT uses, corrupted.
Also if you've updated versions of DirX lately that can do it.
Might wanna see if there is an updated version of EAX driver for your sound card or something.....DirX is faimed for screwing with out dated hardware.