Playing Better with High Ping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Hi people, I need a little help with a problem with my UT playing.

Every once in a while it happens that I want to play UT, and at the same time my brother wants to use Netmeeting for video chat, and the result is that my pings go up, ranging from 400-800 msec (I'm on DSL over a wireless 802.11b connection). I've thought of two solutions so far: either (1) not play UT until later (usually 2 hours later) or (2) ban his wireless card temporarily until I'm done playing UT (usually 2 hours later as well). These solutions aren't any good, though.

I think a real solution would be for me to learn how to play better with high ping. Anyone here have any tips for me to improve my gaming in this situation?

[ Edit ]
Here is a short demo of what gameplay is like for me with high ping (requires UTPureRC6B.u and KickIdlePlayers2.u): http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~npena/really_laggy.zip (825 KB)
[ /Edit ]

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Is this in DM [edit : just watched the dem] ? Hehe, 800 ping is pushing it but 400 is still manageable. Just don't expect to get a high score and tell yourself it will improve your skills :p . Basically, you will have to learn to act on future events and not rely on your vision (something that's hard to do).

Here's a few tips :
- With point and shoot weapons, learn to lead by a meter or two (depending on the distance) when someone is running at an angle. With the mini and plasma, aim ahead of a player until you can see damage being done and keep your aim stuck in the same relative spot.
- Remember that your efficiency with these weapons is greatly diminished with high ping so don't expect to come out the victor in a mini fight.
- Shoot when someone is running away/towards you. This is a situation where ping doesn't count and you can hit other players easily.
- With the rocket launcher, shoot a fraction of a second earlier or so to make the damage count.

That's all I can think of for the moment. I sometimes play with 400-500 ping but rarely against low pingers (more 100-200 ping).

P.S: I think there's a parameter UT has that can be used to increase your ping artificially. You could use this to practise offline on your own server.

Last edited:

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
Use a linux gateway and implement some nice traffic shaping rules. That way your traffic will be send first and your max upload will be limited with a few % so you can receive all server data without too much lag. :eek:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
/me slaps PureByte around with an adult whale

:D

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Mulch_D said:
My addvise, spam is your friend, the Bio Rifle, flank cannon and somethimes Shock rifle (2ndary fire) are your freind.

Spam never should be your friend, the only thing it does is showing no skill.

Fearless said most of it, lead targets more than usual and stay (or try to) away from hit-scan.

Mulch_D

Noxious Weed
Mar 9, 2003
Melborne, Australia.
mulchd.net
with a ping of 800+ you have no choice but to spam, I try to avoid it but if you want to come out at least abouve last spaming is one of the very few options.
But I realise you're point, I wish I was good enoph to play without spaming on line but I can't lead 3 seconds in advance :(

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
/me gets a dozen ion painters out and points them at Purebyte

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Mulch_D said:
with a ping of 800+ you have no choice but to spam, I try to avoid it but if you want to come out at least abouve last spaming is one of the very few options.
But I realise you're point, I wish I was good enoph to play without spaming on line but I can't lead 3 seconds in advance :(

If u get a 800+ ping u shouldn't stay on the server, but find another with a better ping.

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Heh, I'm on 56k (at home) and most of the time my ping was 400+. You can still get some decent playable games at those pings. Usually, I would:

1. Use mainly the rocket launcher
2. never stay in one place, always move and in a random directions
3. never fire at the player directly, always anticipate where the player is going to move and shoot 3-6 rockets in front/around the player. The rocket splash should get him
4. Use the grenades often

That'll help to compensate for your high ping. If my ping is higher than 500, I would normally just find another server.