total conversion problems (player physics)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BlueNeptune

Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
total conversion problems

I'm working on a total conversion mod for ut2k3 and I'm trying not to subclass anything game-specific. The AI and a few other things are coming along really nicely, but I ran into trouble when I tried subclassing GameInfo and PlayerController. I'm not exactly sure which one is giving me the problem, but I've even tried copying the Runtime's code as a starting point and it still doesn't work :( My player appears but his physics won't work right or something because I often can't move, and if I jump it goes really weird and just bobs up and down while and only moving along the Z axis. If anyone knows what might be the problem, please reply :)

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
what kind of pawn are you using? sounds like the jump prob may be a missing anim sequence? other pawn properties can affect movement also.

BlueNeptune

Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
Chip, I just subclassed Engine.Pawn for my pawn (it's supposed to be for the player), and I don't exactly have any models/animations for it at this time (could that be causing the problem?) I didn't really edit anything in the default properties, I didn't know what to edit if anything at all... :rolleyes: I'm not very experienced in working with animations/physics so I don't really have a clue about what I need in my pawn when it comes to that stuff.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
beat me to it, RegX! :D

Blue:
All the current anim sequences for UT2K3 bots & players (i.e., xPawns) are part of xPawn's defaultproperties. that's why your pawn was acting a bit dumb ;)

BlueNeptune

Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
Actually, I'm trying not to subclass anything game-specific, like XPawn. If the animations are the problem, then I'll just go ahead and make them before I code the pawn. How do the animations affect the physics? (I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just curious :) ) In the old build of the engine I could have the playerpawn not contain any mesh at all and the physics and movement worked fine...but there are a lot of differences between the two builds so that's probably obsolete now. It's bound to be more trouble not to use XPawn, but for my total conversion, I don't want to use any of that stuff. If it's just plain IMPOSSIBLE, tell me now before I waste ****loads of time on it :)

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
take a look at defaultproperties of Pawn, UnrealPawn and xPawn. Note that only xPawn has entries like these:
Code:
    MovementAnims(0)=RunF
    MovementAnims(1)=RunB
    MovementAnims(2)=RunL
    MovementAnims(3)=RunR

These lines identify for the engine what animation sequences from the model's .ukx file need to be played in various game circumstances. The sequences above are what's used when, for example, the W S A or D keys are pressed (in one common keybinding). If you don't plan to subclass xPawn, then you'll have to code a list of anim sequences for your Pawn subclass that the engine can recognize, probably via a similar set of defaultproperties. Plus actually make the animations -- the list is quite extensive.

The again, if you're really industrious, you could perhaps find out when & how the animation calls are made and re-code a new set of (perhaps more limited) calls for your tc Pawn (and whatever other classes call the animations).

Not impossible, but definitley laborious.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
BlueNeptune said:
It's bound to be more trouble not to use XPawn, but for my total conversion, I don't want to use any of that stuff. If it's just plain IMPOSSIBLE, tell me now before I waste ****loads of time on it :)

Impossible? No, but expect many many headaches like this one. I think maybe you're taking the concept of a total conversion too far. Unless you have a need to strip out all of this stuff and start from scratch, it's almost certainly not worth the trouble. You're going to end up cutting and pasting a lot of code from these classes you're trying to avoid anyway.

BlueNeptune

Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for all the info :D I'll just use XPawn - it's too much trouble otherwise. Sorry to waste you're time on telling me about the animation stuff, but it's just too much trouble to pursue (atleast not at this time). Thanks again for your trouble.