Weapons bumping into walls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
I noticed you get a clunk or scraping sound when you knock a weapon against a wall. Does this affect the weapon accuracy?

And I have a question that will probably make any servicemen laugh manically. Should recoil and other knocks or bumps affect the accuracy of scopes in the game?

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Such bumping and accuracy issues have been discussed, sometimes very loudly. I believe most of it was lost in the great crash. Can't remember at what stage it ws at but it made for some interesting debates. It was also part of ths discussion on weither knocking and dropping weapons would cause enough damage for not only in accuracy but jamming and such.

Edit: This whole english thing is annoying.

Last edited:

[GD]]v[aelstrom

Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
Not to sound mean or anything....

But in real life how stupid are you if you run around sprinting an ram your gun into a wall????
How often have you every watched a military tape/video/movie an seen someone stumbling into a wall with a gun??? lol
answer......YOU DON'T!!!!!
In real life we have a thing called "Common Sence" (even tho like 80% of the world never uses it)....when you are running/walking/crawling/kneeling....its literally impossible to wack your gun on a wall (Let alone get it "Stuck" on one...one of the stupidest things i think in INF). Your own human reflexes stop you from doing so, Unless you are acting like a moron an purposely beating your weapons on objects for some sick demented satanic reason. lol

You would instinktively move the gun back/protect it/pull it to your chest....any number of things before ramming it on a wall/edge/ledge.
And yes this is my opinon....yet...in all the combat training i went through, never did i see ppl just randomly ramming guns into walls.....hell, they woulda been kicked out an never trusted with a weapon to begin with.

My 2 Cents :p

G36

Loose Cannon
Oct 19, 2003
www.homestarrunner.com
Remember [GD]]v[aelstrom: in Real Life you have something called space perception which continually tells your brain where all parts of your body are. Therefore soldiers don't whack their guns into walls. In a video game you don't have this and sometimes it's hard to tell if that gun on the screen will whack a crate as you turn around.

I don't know if I like the weapons hitting walls thing or not. It would be cool if you could use it to clobber people with your gun :D

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
well if trying to walk around a messy house with a guitar slung at your hip is any indication, then it might be semi-natural instict to keep it from banging into things, but keeping it aimed in the general direction you want it to while navigating and not hitting stuff is a different story. ;p

melagne

blah
Dec 6, 2002
I'm guessing that the point maelstrom was trying to make was that while it is realistic for guns to be able to collide with things, in real life people who hold them don't let them run into things...

Perhaps it would be more realistic for inf to allow weapon collision, but also take the next step of having the avatar automatically and realistically lower/otherwise move his gun so it didn't bash against obstacles.

However, another point to consider would be that this approach could spoil the sense of immersion and realism immmensly if an overzealous lower-weapon script prevented a player from aiming his/her weapon during moments in battle where one should be able to fire.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I like how Vietcong handled the weapon collision. It pulled the weapon back. It would also be nice to be able to rest your weapon on objects. Well, I can dream anyway. I wonder if anything with the weapon collision was adjusted/fixed for 2.9? Anybody?

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
jaymian said:
I like how Vietcong handled the weapon collision. It pulled the weapon back. It would also be nice to be able to rest your weapon on objects. Well, I can dream anyway.
How far exactly can you pull a weapon back if it's at your shoulder?

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
With regards to depth perception:

This can be improved with shadows and reflections - or in the interest of maintaining performance - twice as many shadows.

This way, the M16 or whatever will cast a shadow onto the walls or crates just before a collision, regardless of where the light source is.

For realism, how close it needs to get before casting a shadow should depend on the direction of light sources, but a more uniform rule would probably have the desired effect of improving depth perception.

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Real-time lighting + UT engine = bad. There's probably a way to fake it, but it'd be a lot easier with UT2k3. But of course, the collision will be completely redone for that, I assume.

I think part of the problem lies with the digital movement input, so you can't easily face a wall at 19degrees and walk along parallel to it, so people tend to push up againt the wall which gets your weapon stuck. But then, analog controls take a hell of a lot of getting used to for FPSs. I suppose if you used a gamepad for movement and the mouse for aiming and shooting...

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
>>How far exactly can you pull a weapon back if it's at your shoulder?

pretend that the soldier rotates his upper body so that the shoulder in question shifts back

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
You could unshoulder it. Although depending on how that is handled, it could get annoying when you get around things like crates or windows, where it would be hard to bring up to aim. All I know is, who gets their weapon stuck to a wall? That is the most annoying thing. It doesn't happen much to me now that I know to stay 5 fett from all walls. But at first it was a constant issue, and I know a lot of people who also had issues with it. Judging from the replies, I imagine nothing has been tweeked in this area.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
some things:
The standard weapon collision doesn't get you stuck. Only the 'enhanced' version does. The weapon collision was integrated to let the player pay more attention to his movement. Means the "common sense" you have in real life to not bump your weapon into walls aso needs to be 'learned' in game again. Reason for this is to actually learn how 'long' your weapon is and to not let it stick out behind objects aso. The 3rd person models in UT do not allow a blending between animations or single bone rotations done by script so your 3rd person model always holds your weapon in the standard position even if you are facing a wall. The 1st person cannot reflect this easily and so we integrated a mix of 'pull your weapon back while at hip' and let it bump into objects stopping your further movement to let you notice that you just rammed your 3rd person weapon representation into it. It lets you learn how to move your weapon around without a true 3D view that you have in real life to measure your distance to another object.
So there's nothing stupid about it.

[edit] to the get stuck stuff... it has been tweaked.[/edit]

Last edited:

sanchezero

award winning gigolo
May 11, 2002
Visit site
A coupla points:

"But in real life how stupid are you if you run around sprinting an ram your gun into a wall????
How often have you every watched a military tape/video/movie an seen someone stumbling into a wall with a gun??? lol
answer......YOU DON'T!!!!!"

IRL, particularly when working in an urban or CQB setting, you bang all your **** into lots of stuff, including your weapon. If you're lucky enough to not be wearing some kinda pack then things are a bit easier, but if you are then it's not uncommon for a fella to actually get stuck momentarily in a doorframe.

"How far exactly can you pull a weapon back if it's at your shoulder?"

Actually, for retention purposes, you tend to let the butt slip under your arm and in this position you can bring it back pretty fecking far and still get good hits fairly easily to 10-15m. Occasionally, you may tilt the weapon sideways and slide it up on top of your shoulder. If using red dot optics and a light round such as 5.56 or 7.62x39, then it's pretty easy to be accurate here as well.

I think the weapon collision thing is cool, but to implement it properly there should be a toggle to allow you to go to a position commonly known as sul (meaning south), where your weapon is held sideways close to the body with the barrel pointed directly at the ground just in front of one's toes. This would effectively remove the weapon collision box to allow one to slip into tight spaces or peek around corners without poking the gun out for all to see.

:)

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
"But in real life how stupid are you if you run around sprinting an ram your gun into a wall????
answer......YOU DON'T!!!!!

It's called editing. These "military films" that your watching are either (a) Hollywood fantasia (b) For recruiting purposes or (c) for the purposes of making that particular military look good. That being the case you'll never see a "blooper" reel where somebody's like "hey kids! come join the Army, we're the strongest smartest badest thing ever, and you.. what the.. (camera drops). Recruiting and general propaganda only shows what your supposed to see, the majority of it sits on the cutting room floor, or gets put into the "what not to do" training vids.

I'd agree that some kind of stance where the weapon would be held vertically would be ideal, but i wouldn't want it to be an automatic thing, and i don't like the idea of having yet another key biding to keep track of.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I say that the weapon should automatically move out of the way like in america's army, but ONLY when moving faster than walk.

If you are walking and having trouble banging into stuff then you need to get some eye-hand coordination.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
G36 said:
in Real Life you have something called space perception which continually tells your brain where all parts of your body are. Therefore soldiers don't whack their guns into walls. In a video game you don't have this

right, but this is a game in which we pretend to be real soldiers, not video game people. I don't want to be punished, be it accuracy; dropping my weapon; or getting stuck, for bumping my weapon into a wall, because i know that in real life i would never be able to do that as easily as in a game. And i really dont want to have to cautiously navigate a narrow corridor, fearing that i might 'dent my gun'.
:lol: