Wot... no Enfield, again?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What about the Enfield L85 / SA80?

• Yes, it deserves inclusion.

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No, it's poo.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
Poll Question: Does the Enfield L85 (SA80) deserve a chance?

Just installed INF and, like so many others, it doesn't include the Enfield L85 / SA80 British Army assault rifle (aka Glorified Paperweight).

l85a1.jpg

This is such a cool weapon, looks unique, performs well, is completely and utterly flawed. So why not have it instead of repeating the same old gear seen in every other game?

Have the British done something to upset the INF developers? :(

danielout

Oct 25, 2003

or maybe we should just have a button that says 'LOOK", only because there is a post exactly like this not but a few topics down. gah.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Whats flawed about my weapon? Having said that he did say the Enfield L85. Enfield produced weapons had a really bad build quality. Now if he wanted the Nottingham produced weapons then I'm all for it andwant to know where the flaws are with it?

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
Oops. I figured someone was bound to have mentioned it before but somehow missed the post a few rows down, but... erm, that one doesn't have a poll :p

As for flaws, there have been two upgrades and most of the better known complaints no longer apply.

Having only hearsay to guide me, I had best not make rash statements and instead, shall direct you to the site where I found the nice picture:

Link: http://world.guns.ru/assault/as22-e.htm
(See italic text at bottom of the page)

Quote from world.guns.ru
The reason it has gone down so poorly with those who have to use it is probably due to comparing it with the previous issue SLR, whereas the SLR was a lion, the SA-80 is a cockroach (an annoying bugger which you cant get rid of).

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
Freon said:
rofl, it's not that we don't WANT to include it, it's just that we CAN'T include every ****ing weapon around the world ;)
Ah, as may be... but the British standard issue isn't just any ****ing weapon.

You seem to have forgotten than the British to have a tendency to get involved in other country's problems more frequently than say... the French.

For the British, pretending to be the world police is not just a tradition, but it is a way of life and history suggests we rellish in it. Thus it is most reasonable to include British weapons before the equivalents of less meddling nations.

Take the Steyr AUG for example. It's a... OK, I got nothing nice to say... but point being, it is far less likely to be used in serious encounter than the SA80 simply because nations currently deploying the Steyr are more likely to sit at side lines picking their noses.

Thus, IMHO, which is evidently not worth a great deal, the order in which weapons should be adopted, if wishing to mimmick reality, is ... Soviet, American, British... and then everybody elses :)

I trust you understand what I'm getting at.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
That site varies from quite good to quite dodgy. I wouldn't take everything they say to be automatically correct.

Anyhow, I second stormbind's request for an L85A2 :D

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
stormbind[UK] said:
Ah, as may be... but the British standard issue isn't just any ****ing weapon.

You seem to have forgotten than the British to have a tendency to get involved in other country's problems more frequently than say... the French.

For the British, pretending to be the world police is not just a tradition, but it is a way of life and history suggests we rellish in it. Thus it is most reasonable to include British weapons before the equivalents of less meddling nations.

Take the Steyr AUG for example. It's a... OK, I got nothing nice to say... but point being, it is far less likely to be used in serious encounter than the SA80 simply because nations currently deploying the Steyr are more likely to sit at side lines picking their noses.

Thus, IMHO, which is evidently not worth a great deal, the order in which weapons should be adopted, if wishing to mimmick reality, is ... Soviet, American, British... and then everybody elses :)

I trust you understand what I'm getting at.

What's your point ? Infiltration isn't about Country vs Country wars.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
I suggest we add the Owen SMG. I can't think of any reason other than perhaps is Austrailian and the fact I bet it hasn't been suggested before ;)

Here are some more weapon suggestions not made before: -

Krag-Jorgensen Rifle (Anyone know the calibres and country )

MGP-79a (what contry and what is it)

Daewoo K2 (we all know its Korean but whats its unusual firing mechanism)

vz-37 (country and calibre anyone)

Bored of making weapon suggestion for you all to ignore now. Lets see who gets the answers right.

:D

Last edited:

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Krag-Jorgensen Rifle - 6.5 x 55 mm / .30-40 US and Norway
http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/kragrifl.htm
MGP-79a - 9mm para SMG Peru
http://www.nasog.net/datasheets/firearms/smg/mgp_79a.htm
Daewoo K2 - "The bolt/bolt carrier assembly of the K2 is very similar to one of the M16, but with one main difference: in the place of the gas expansion chamber of the M16, K2 bolt carrier has a cut slot. In this slot is inserted the rear part of the gas rod, with gas piston attached to the forward part of the gas rod."
I assume that's what you mean...
http://www.csun.edu/~btk29323/smalla~1.htm
vz-37 - 7.92 x 57 mm Mauser, Czechoslovakia
http://www.nasog.net/datasheets/firearms/mg/vz_37.htm
But then any idiot can google, if they were so inclined.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
ravens_hawk said:
Daewoo K2 - "The bolt/bolt carrier assembly of the K2 is very similar to one of the M16, but with one main difference: in the place of the gas expansion chamber of the M16, K2 bolt carrier has a cut slot. In this slot is inserted the rear part of the gas rod, with gas piston attached to the forward part of the gas rod."
I assume that's what you mean...

Nope. Thats not whats interesting / unusual and bloody frustrating about the action of the K2. Think action and mechanism, not parts.

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
ShrapNL said:
What's your point ? Infiltration isn't about Country vs Country wars.
Huh? I was brining attention to which weapons were most likely to be actually fired in anger, as opposed to which would be firing plastic bullets at circular targets.

It would be logical to include the AKM and M16 because they are as common as muck. Chances are, there won't be an encounter in the following decades that doesn't involve at least one of these venerable weapons.

Thus, you couldn't really have a simulation without them.

Regardless of what the British standard issue may be, it too is extremely likely to feature in real world disputes and does therefore deserve inclusion in any game that wishes to come of as close to realistic.

G36

Loose Cannon
Oct 19, 2003
www.homestarrunner.com
*sigh*

The issue is: this is a video game. In video game terms there would be virtually zero difference between the L85 and the Steyr AUG. Until the game models balance, recoil, much longer ranges and about 4,487 other real life factors we don't need another 5.56mm rifle.

And if we do need another 5.56mm rifle, clearly we need a G36 with a C-MAG. :p

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
G36 said:
*sigh*

The issue is: this is a video game. In video game terms there would be virtually zero difference between the L85 and the Steyr AUG. Until the game models balance, recoil, much longer ranges and about 4,487 other real life factors we don't need another 5.56mm rifle.

And if we do need another 5.56mm rifle, clearly we need a G36 with a C-MAG. :p

I like your thinking.... but which G36?

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
I'm all for it! Go G36! All the police in my area use them. (Actually, IIRC, Cobb County, GA was the first large law-enforcement purchase of the G36 stateside. Go us!)

G36

Loose Cannon
Oct 19, 2003
www.homestarrunner.com
SaraP: wouldn't you have trouble grasping the HK69 with a C-MAG in place?

I like the plain-jane G36 (not G36E). Nice looking dual sights on that baby. In fact, it's a damn good looking rifle overall.