PDA

View Full Version : Marathon:Awake : Recruiting

DoombatInc
13th Nov 2003, 10:45 PM
Hello. Before I get into my concept, let me tell you a little about myself. By trade, I do sound manipulation and Photoshop graphic design, and have dabbled in 3d modelling. I was the soundman and an active part of the Covert Forces(C4) team, and supplied a few sounds to FEBA, the AgentX remake, and a number of mods that went dead before an IR. I have worked closely with Postal for the past two years; during an unreleased version of WAR, and all thought the development of C4. If you want to go further back in time, I was also on the team for Marathon: Killing Time as a physics model designer. And, while I have been on several teams, I have never headed one of my own.

"Marathon: Awake" is the work-in-progress name.

If you don't know much about Marathon, the following won't make a whole lot of sense.

Story
I'd love to delve into the story right now, but truth be told, only the basics have been worked out.

The game takes place a significant amount of time after Marathon: Infinity (per usual, you only know what the Mjolnir knows. And considering he went partially mad during Infinity, he doesn't know a lot). Several UESC colony ships that were lost to the Pfhor have been detected on a direct course to Earth. But, they did not return in the hands of the humans. Rather, the Pfhor are using them as invasion transports. And just out of orbit of Earth lies a captured Marathon being used as a staging ground for the alien invasion force. You are taken out of stasis, not by the military you are the property of, but by an old friend...

Weapons
The weapons will be based off of those in Marathon 1, 2, Inf, Evil, and RED. I don't want to clog up this entire post, so here's a few samples of text I've written up about them:

M.75 Assault Rifle: It's inaccurate, it's ugly as sin, and at some point in time, it may be your only chance for survival. The older ship models had armories full of M.75 rifles, so salvaging one should be no problem. And, while the ammunition may have been sitting in storage for over a century, M.75 magazines have a reputation for their resilience. I assume you're still familiar with this weapon, so I'll just give you a refresher: Fires 800 rounds per minute of 7.5mm shells. A standard magazine holds 52 rounds of ammunition. Also fires 20mm riot-grade grenade cartridges. Grenade cylinders hold 7 rounds.
Damage: 9-15 (80-90 for grenade)

.44 Magnum Theta Class: Prior issues of this sidearm used a computer-controlled auto targeting system, which required an implant to be installed in the wielder's eye before it would be useable. Very few people opted for the implant, and the targeting system became virtually useless. Newer variants of this weapon have replaced it with a 2x scope, and have added a retractable grip for improved long-range aiming. Not much else was changed, and it still operates like how you remember. The standard load is 8 rounds of .44 Magnum ammunition.
Damage: 20-28

Other weapons planned:
Mercury .33 Machine Pistol
WSTE-M Combat Shotgun
KKV-9 10/4mm Submachine Gun
Zeus-Class Fusion Pistol
MA78X Assault Rifle
MOW-MDN/36CM Machinegun
SPNKR-X22 Rocket Launcher
TOZT Type R Flamethrower
Pfhor Staff

That might sound like an unrealistic amount of work, but the weapons essentially have all been designed. It's just a matter of turning them from picture to model (and yes, I know that is still a lot of work).

Gameplay/Levels
Gameplay is similar to the classic Unreal; huge levels with no real linear direction, just an objective. The game itself is mission-oriented. Each level has an objective, and once that objective is completed, you continue to the next level. Briefings, level exits, and general information are stored in Terminals. The player would activate the terminal by use of action key, and read the contents. Sometimes it's useful info, sometimes it's extra plot information or logs, and more often than not it's merely the ramblings of a system operator. Terminals will be where the player gets his mission and how the player leaves the level via teleportation.

Specific details of levels have not been planned, but the chapters will be:

Awake (UESC storage facility)
Undone (Metropolitan city the colony landed in)
Pseudo (Onboard a 'dropship')
Deja Vu (The Marathon)

Odds and Ends
Just a few stats on some of the more basic elements of gameplay:
The player has 150 HP by default. Using 2x or 3x changers, he can charge up to 300 and 450, respectively.
There is no real "Armour", but rather battery cells that power up one (150), two (300), or three (450) personal shield levels.
Ammunition works on a magazine basis, not bullet-by-bullet.
The heads-up display has a motion sensor that can detect moving objects up to 15m away and identify them as friend or foe.

Now to business
I need everyone I can get; modellers, mappers, coders, skinners, animators, and any other soul that feels they could be of help. Past experience is not necessary, but would be appreciated. Also, anyone with copious knowledge of the Marathon story is welcome onboard. Contact me at doombatinc@hotmail.com, preferably with something related to "Marathon" or "UT2K3 Mod" in the title.

Edit: A few more notes
Postal has offered to contribute to the team, and has assured me the weapons code will be easy as pie.

------------------------------------
Credit where credit's due: the whole Marathon concept is copyright Bungie Software, anything taken from Evil is copyright Team Evil, and anything taken from RED is copyright Ian McConville.

JackReacher
14th Nov 2003, 03:58 AM
Nice, but it would be nice to see examples of work done so far, and maybe a website, if you have one? Thanks.

Captain Kewl
14th Nov 2003, 12:23 PM
What's Marathon?

JamesKilton
14th Nov 2003, 02:15 PM
Well, you know Halo?

Same company, Bungie. Sort of the same story lines.

Marathon -> Marathon 2 -> Marathon Infinity -> long break -> Halo

Don't really know to much about the Marathon series other than they are really old games. I started Infinity but was completely lost and confused as to what I was supposed to be doing.

DoombatInc
14th Nov 2003, 04:59 PM
Nice, but it would be nice to see examples of work done so far, and maybe a website, if you have one? Thanks.

I'm working on a website as we speak. Since I don't have any hosting right now (I'm flat-broke), I've been doing offline work on the site. Most of the site work has been in the layout, and I've done a few graphics here and there (temporary logo attached to post. It's not much, but it's what I'm using for now). The other work I've done is mostly sprite collections and screenshots from the original game series with my notes scrawled all over, which I doubt would impress anyone.

[SAS]Solid Snake
14th Nov 2003, 06:39 PM
Since I don't have any hosting right now (I'm flat-broke),

Why not just use a free server for now? Or get hosted?

DoombatInc
14th Nov 2003, 08:32 PM
Solid Snake']Why not just use a free server for now? Or get hosted?

I'd just as well go with free hosting, but I've learned from experience that seeing "Geocities" or "Angelfire" in your address bar is an instant turnoff.

I've been considering shooting an e-mail to Unreal Warfare Xtreme for some hosting, but before I do, I'd like to have more to show for myself than idea writeups and concept art.

Also, thanks everyone for the interest shown as of yet.

Postal
14th Nov 2003, 10:54 PM
Coding has started. Doombat's new to the BuF, but he's good.

Sir_Brizz
15th Nov 2003, 11:30 AM
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=113186

hosting for some forums if you like.

DoombatInc
19th Nov 2003, 07:01 PM
I've got a temporary site up at http://eyegoremusic.com/awake/ (thanks for the hosting, Eyegore!). Hardly any content right now - in fact, the only actual content is the story blurb. Keep in mind, this is a work in progress.

JamesKilton
19th Nov 2003, 08:16 PM
strategy-x (www.strategy-x.com) has free hosting. Give them a try if you still need a more permanent location

Holocaust
27th Nov 2003, 04:58 PM
Me and my team are working on a Marathon mod, Marathon 2003. The rumours of its death have been greatly exaggerated, it has just been put to rest for a little while as we are currently concentrating on another mod project; Meta: Fort Urase Mercenaries.

We have several lines of code (we've got some really cool and fresh features), alot of 3D models, music, etc. done for Marathon 2003 (and Meta, but that's another story). However, we need some good 2D artists/skinners, animators and mappers. We are planning of recreating both M2 and Minf, possibly M1 and some features from Evil, as well as an original campaign which we never figured out a story for. Your story sounds very fresh and interesting, and I've played most of the mods you've worked on (including Killing Time, too bad it was never finished) and found them "1337".

Perhaps we should join forces?

-EDIT-

Also, the only reason we don't have a website up yet is pure laziness, really.

DoombatInc
30th Nov 2003, 09:17 PM
Me and my team are working on a Marathon mod, Marathon 2003. The rumours of its death have been greatly exaggerated, it has just been put to rest for a little while as we are currently concentrating on another mod project; Meta: Fort Urase Mercenaries.

We have several lines of code (we've got some really cool and fresh features), alot of 3D models, music, etc. done for Marathon 2003 (and Meta, but that's another story). However, we need some good 2D artists/skinners, animators and mappers. We are planning of recreating both M2 and Minf, possibly M1 and some features from Evil, as well as an original campaign which we never figured out a story for. Your story sounds very fresh and interesting, and I've played most of the mods you've worked on (including Killing Time, too bad it was never finished) and found them "1337".

Perhaps we should join forces?

-EDIT-

I'd be up for a merger. I've got a lot of ideas for an original campaign, although several of them would conflict with the classic style of M2/Inf. Drop me a line at doombatinc@hotmail, we'll talk (be sure to include the word "Marathon" in the subject line).

JackReacher
1st Dec 2003, 01:58 AM
Mergers are a funny ol thing, they hardly ever work out mainly due to conflicts between the teams. But if they do, its a great way to kickstart your mod, and boost the content.

Eyegore
3rd Dec 2003, 08:06 AM
And whilst I'm not one to say anything negative about one's labors:

Probably not the kind of line you'd want to put in to advertise your skills...

Just one guy's opinion.