M4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
Ok, its been awhile and I'm a little rusty and not up to date on any changes and discussion that were had regarding this weapon's inclusion in INF.

Will there be an M4 in 2.9 and if not, why?

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
The official list of new 2.9 weapons is on the main site, and has been posted here before.

H&K Mk23 SOCOM with attachments, namely supressor and laser/flashlight module.
Minimi light machine gun
Benelli M1S90 semi-automatic shotgun
Supressor and ACOG for the already-existing FAMAS
Claymores

So no M4.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
No, not for 2.9. The only new guns in 2.9 are the M249 SAW, SOCOM pistol, and the Benelli M1 shotgun (which replaces the Benelli M3). The M4 is not really at the top of the team's priority list since there's allready an M16 rifle, and a SIG carbine. IIRC the skin and animations for the M4 aren't done yet, not to mention the coding. I'm guessing it will be one of the first new weapons in Inf 3.0 though.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Nah, It would lock out too many peeps that don't have decent PCs, not to mention the engine code being totally different so the team would have to re-learn everything.

Ohy yeah - Doom's scary :O

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
From what I read, Inf2.9 will be user mutatable to include new weapons so just as soon as you finish up that model, record the sounds, make the animations and code the add-ons for your M4 you'll be able to put it in :p

melagne

blah
Dec 6, 2002
Cold Killer said:
Aren't weapons in INF extremely difficult to implement?

From an internal game data point of view, it shouldn't be harder than anything else. I'd assume there's a default kinda inf weapon class that can be extended, or if not, an existing weapon script could be duplicated and modified. Once weapon variables are set up, all you should need to do is add the models, textures, sounds and animations....

Easy. ;)

I'd be suprised if it was much different to creating new weapons for any fps.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
To create new weapons was a problem in versions prior to 2.9 due to the fact that you end up with either replacing an existing weapon by a mutator or adding new stuff by writing a big big mutator that changes the game basics too cause the loadout selection aso is more or less strict and implemented in the main player and weapons classes and so every weapon aso has to be known internally to be selectable within your loadouts. So implementing new weapons was not as 'easy' as for any fps out there. You modded a mod then but adding stuff was more complicated.

In 2.9 - as stated in another thread already - you can add any weapon you like by using some classes and a mutator that allows playing with that new weapon on servers. An int file is also needed to present the weapon in our in-game loadout selection screens.
So, the game now checks for specific things if an unknown weapon is presented in someones loadout description. It checks the enabled mutators if they 'know' this loadout item and if so then the mutator delivers the infos needed instead of the internal classes responsible for this normally.
INF 2.9 will feature a little example based on UTs original Eightball rocket launcher that features the free aiming area and no crosshair to show how to use this system. A little tutorial can be made available then too at the time you actually have the codes in front of ya. So you can try it out directly instead of doing it in theory. All you have to know now is that you 'only' need your weapon model, animations aso as if you would implement your weapon to UT itself. Then you will need to adjust things a little bit on the code side of things to let it be useable in INF 2.9 too.

Last edited:

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Any chance then that some of the already outstanding weapon models featured in screenshots in the media section (G36, etc.) will be made available for others to add to the game? No sense re-inventing the wheel, right?

Matthew