PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* Are there actually ANY skinning tutorials on the net?

Radiosity
6th Nov 2003, 01:15 PM
Title says it all really. I've been searching for longer than I care to remember for a decent skinning tutorial that will take me from the very basics of starting a new skin to finishing it off. I can't seem to find anything. This is really annoying me now as I have a load of models I've made but can't actually use because I can't skin them.

So, does anyone know (or would be willing to write ;) ) a good tutorial on skinning? Program isn't a problem as I've got Photoshop and Paintshop pro. Thanks in advance :)

CSM

chip
6th Nov 2003, 02:07 PM
what's your modeling app, CM? i'm planning a tute on skinning a model made with the version of Maya PLE that shipped w/UT2003, but it may not be all that applicable to models from Max or MilkShape (or whatever) -- a lot depends on what kind of UV mapping, stitching & map export tools your modeling prog has.

pic shows my first complex model skin job -- "manually" unwrapped & stitched UVs, 'cause MayaPLE won't let you export models, or even very useful UV maps, but there are ways...

---
image works now

JackReacher
6th Nov 2003, 02:16 PM
What part of skinning is it your struggling with, exporting/importing the skin to photoshop, or actually "painting" the skin in photoshop?

Radiosity
6th Nov 2003, 03:30 PM
chip - 3dsmax 5. What kind of tut are you thinking of? The actual painting or working in the 3d program? It's the painting I need :)
Jack - setting up my UV's and exporting the wireframes aren't a problem, I can do that in my sleep :) It's the actual painting I can't get my head around. I sometimes wonder how people manage to paint skins for weapons and characters using nothing but Photoshop and maybe some plugins, especially given the seeming lack of any tutorials on the subject. How did these people learn to skin? (not counting the people that are professionally taught at college or whatever).

chip
6th Nov 2003, 05:13 PM
...It's the actual painting I can't get my head around. I sometimes wonder how people manage to paint skins for weapons and characters using nothing but Photoshop and maybe some plugins...

yeah, painting is the main meat of the subject, but UV map prep is critical to the painting's success. making the UV "wireframe" maps is a pain in MayaPLE, hope Max is easier. my tute will cover the process i used for everything from UV-mapping the model to the final skin application & import to UEd -- no modeling, just UV prep & painting, so parts of it may be useful for Max users, too.

(check the above attachment if you haven't yet -- it's fixed now).

Radiosity
6th Nov 2003, 05:37 PM
Yeah, Max has a powerful set of UV tools that are pretty easy to use, even for a beginner. So you're going to be concentrating on the actual painting as well then? Cool, I'll be looking forward to that then - maybe I'll finally be able to get some of my models finished and put into the game :D

As for the attachment......that's exactly what I'm talking about - how the hell do you paint something like that? :lol: Guess I'll have to wait for your tut to find out :) Cheers,

CSM

chip
7th Nov 2003, 10:52 AM
i started writing the tute last night, CM -- ready in maybe a week or so (can't do it full-time, unfortunately).

would you be willing to lend some assistance so i can make sure it works from a Max user's perspective as well? drop me a PM if you're interested.

Erika
28th Nov 2003, 09:52 PM
I can skin. It's quite easy after a while. I'm still learning though all the techniques...

Eyegore
6th Dec 2003, 12:44 AM
I'm admitting with Chain on this one... I have a buttload of models, weapons, all coded and working, but with the doofiest looking skins. I have bought books on the subject of PS with all kinds of info, but I swear, if I see another square block of brushed metal, I'm gonna puke!!

The weapon skins in ut2k3 are killer!! I know with a push in the right direction, I can make skins like that, but I don't really know where to start. All that really seems to be out there is the 'set your gradient, now click 'noise', now motion blur, yay, you have brushed metal!!'

I want to make shiny metal, and I have been trying to figure it all out on my own, very slowly, I'm getting somewhere, but it's not the way I want it...

I just read my above statement and realize it sounds lame and childish. I know there is a lot of hard work involved, I don't want or need someone to hold my hand, just a tute maybe that show the steps from beginning to end...

chip
6th Dec 2003, 10:07 AM
Eyegore, skinning a model and painting the skin aren't the same subject, though related. there's so much variation in surface characteristics on well-painted skins that it would take an ongoing (possibly never-ending) series of tutes to cover all the possible painting techniques, and chances are few of them would be directly applicable to any one skinning task -- you gotta go beyond the tutes and adapt the knowledge to get really original.

painting skins also benefits from classical drawing/painting skills -- knowledge of the varieties in highlight, midtone, shadow, and material and texture characteristics -- but this again is another subject for study and most of all practice.

btw, no one's gonna push you in the right direction -- you gotta drag yourself there :D

fitting an image to a model (i.e., skinning) -- that's a feasible tute subject.

Eyegore
6th Dec 2003, 03:19 PM
Well, of course you're right:) There was never a question about that.

And I realize that practice is the best method...

Here is a rendering of a work in progress of a simple model - a sniper rifle. I have been trying to paint the skin for about 4 days now, and here is what I have -

I know it sucks...

JohnnySix
26th Dec 2003, 05:44 PM
Has anyone checked out :

http://www.planetquake.com/skindom/tutorials/

and

http://www.planetunreal.com/identitycrisis/tutorials/skinning.shtml

GringoLoco
4th Jan 2004, 11:14 AM
nice links sabbathcat! thx!

later,
GriNGoLoCo

JamesKilton
4th Jan 2004, 01:32 PM
www.3dbuzz.com

There are some great video tutorials on skinning and everything else unreal (and 3D graphics)

[SAS]Solid Snake
4th Jan 2004, 04:32 PM
Skinning isn't something you can learn in a tutorial or that there is a quick way of doing it. It's all about pixel manipulation, and it takes hours, days or even weeks to usually get a good skin.

I'm not a true 2D artist since I source some of my original images from photo's I take or other people have taken. It may not be the 'true' or 'honest' way, but it does get the intended result quicker (that is, if you know how to play with the photo, as photo imported textures directly don't get that good results).